Recent Topics

1 Jul 20, 2007 10:26    

This is in reference to my post on http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?p=57184#57184

b2evo should allow for the use of a specified SMTP server for sending out email notifications, instead of just relying on the PHP Mail() function. The problem is that some major email providers - AOL, HotMail, Yahoo - block email from certain IP address ranges (they effectively work with broadband providers to get the address ranges they use and reject email from those IPs).

This means that for anyone (like me) hosting their own servers, emails will never get through to members unless they send them through the SMTP servers of their ISP (most broadband ISPs set their SMTP servers to allow email relaying from IPs on their network).

By relying on PHP's Mail() function, this capability is available to Windows platforms (since Windows doesn't normally have an SMTP server installed) but is not available on Unix platforms.

It would be great it b2evo could support this...I might even be willing to fund the enhancement ;)

2 Aug 08, 2007 13:13

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I recently wrote a patch for my customers that will allow you to send mail through SMTP when using b2. This is mainly because we block the php mail() function from sending mail as nobody, but also because as you said some ISP's disregard mail sent using the mail function.

I just released it on my website for public use since we started using suPHP, so feel free to us it if you find it'll help you:

http://www.v-nessa.net/2007/08/08/b2evolution-smtp-patch/

3 Aug 08, 2007 16:33

Thanks for replying to this.

In case anyone was wondering, I went to the phpclasses.org site and downloaded the Easy Email SMTP class (and required classes) and modified b2evo to send emails through that (one set of files needed).

Once I did, all was well...

4 Aug 08, 2007 17:27

Thank you both for reporting to the forum. This solves one of those problems that comes around from time to time.

5 Sep 09, 2007 03:57

OK, anyone wanting to integrate this into b2evo 2.0 and maintain it a while, please email me ;)

6 Sep 10, 2007 20:16

I'll work on this for b2evo 2.0....what kind of integration are we talking about here =)

8 Sep 14, 2007 06:33

i was thinking about swiftmailer, as i agree that phpmailer is more of a deprecated solution. I'll see what I can do for this

Form is loading...