Recent Topics

1 Aug 24, 2007 09:57    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

Hi! :)

I recently installed my b2evolution blog and have been having lots of fun trying all sorts of things with it.

I searched all over the plugins area and in here to see if I could find something about it, but had no such luck, so I'm posting to ask a question:

Is there a way to reply to a comment in particular? As in, someone leaves me a comment, and I click on a "reply to this comment" link?
Even better if people can reply to each other's comments with comment threads like on Livejournal and some other sites. :)
(Ideally with something to notify the person that they got a reply).

If anyone knows of a plugin or hack to allow that, it would be absolutely wonderful, and I would be very grateful if you could let me know! :D

(My subscribers have already told me they're not up for subscribing to comment notifications for all the comments in the post just to see when there's a reply to their comment, so that's not an option unfortunately. *lol*)

3 Aug 24, 2007 22:32

¥åßßå wrote:

You might want to try the [url=http://www.waffleson.co.uk/2007/03/11/nested_comments]Nested Comments plugin[/url] ;)

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I'm looking for. 8| :D

I just installed it, and the plugin itself installed fine, but I'm thinking I might have some problem with my _feedback.php file, because my blog posts are all gone and replaced by this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/sagakure/public_html/fandomhaven/skins/_feedback.php on line 109

I'm looking for the "<", but haven't found it. :-/
I followed the instructions on the site, but my knowledge of all that stuff is really basic, so I'm not sure where I did something wrong... :-/

If you can help me with that it would be absolutely awesome!

Here's the contents of my _feedback.php , so you can see if the problem is there. (It most likely is, as the error happened as soon as I edited it and refreshed, before the plugin installation itself. :oops: )

<?php
/**
 * This is the template that displays the feedback for a post
 * (comments, trackback, pingback...)
 * You may want to call this file multiple time in a row with different $c $tb $pb params.
 * This allow to seprate different kinds of feedbacks instead of displaying them mixed together
 * This file is not meant to be called directly.
 * It is meant to be called by an include in the _main.php template.
 * To display a feedback, you should call a stub AND pass the right parameters
 * For example: /blogs/index.php?p=1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
 * Note: don't code this URL by hand, use the template functions to generate it!
 * b2evolution - {@link http://b2evolution.net/}
 * Released under GNU GPL License - {@link http://b2evolution.net/about/license.html}
 * @copyright (c)2003-2007 by Francois PLANQUE - {@link http://fplanque.net/}
 * @package evoskins
 */
if( !defined('EVO_MAIN_INIT') ) die( 'Please, do not access this page directly.' );

if( empty($c) )
{	// Comments not requested
	$disp_comments = 0;					// DO NOT Display the comments if not requested
	$disp_comment_form = 0;			// DO NOT Display the comments form if not requested
}

if( empty($tb) || !$Blog->get( 'allowtrackbacks' ) )
{	// Trackback not requested or not allowed
	$disp_trackbacks = 0;				// DO NOT Display the trackbacks if not requested
	$disp_trackback_url = 0;		// DO NOT Display the trackback URL if not requested
}

if( empty($pb) )
{	// Pingback not requested
	$disp_pingbacks = 0;				// DO NOT Display the pingbacks if not requested
}

if( ! ($disp_comments || $disp_comment_form || $disp_trackbacks || $disp_trackback_url || $disp_pingbacks ) )
{	// Nothing more to do....
	return false;
}

echo '<a id="feedbacks"></a>';

$type_list = array();
$disp_title = array();
if( $disp_comments )
{	// We requested to display comments
	if( $Item->can_see_comments() )
	{ // User can see a comments
		$type_list[] = "'comment'";
		$disp_title[] = T_("Comments");
	}
	else
	{ // Use cannot see comments
		$disp_comments = false;
	}
	echo '<a id="comments"></a>';
}
if( $disp_trackbacks )
{
	$type_list[] = "'trackback'";
	$disp_title[] = T_("Trackbacks");
	echo '<a id="trackbacks"></a>';
}
if( $disp_pingbacks )
{
	$type_list[] = "'pingback'";
	$disp_title[] = T_("Pingbacks");
	echo '<a id="pingbacks"></a>';
}

if( $disp_trackback_url )
{ // We want to display the trackback URL:
	?>
	<h4><?php echo T_('Trackback address for this post:') ?></h4>

<?php
	/*
	 * Trigger plugin event, which could display a captcha form, before generating a whitelisted URL:
	 */
	if( ! $Plugins->trigger_event_first_true( 'DisplayTrackbackAddr', array('Item' => & $Item, 'template' => '<code>%url%</code>') ) )
	{ // No plugin displayed a payload, so we just display the default:
		?>
		<code><?php $Item->trackback_url() ?></code>
		<?php
	}
}

if( $disp_comments || $disp_trackbacks || $disp_pingbacks  )
{
	?>

<!-- Title for comments, tbs, pbs... -->
	<h4><?php echo implode( ", ", $disp_title) ?>:</h4>

<?php
	$CommentList = & new CommentList( 0, implode(',', $type_list), array('published'), $Item->ID, '', 'ASC' );

// Nested comments part 1 of 3 
	  $Plugins->call_by_code( 'amNestCmnt', array() ); 

<?php 
	      // Nested comments part 2 of 3 
	      if ( $Item->can_comment( NULL ) ) 
	      { 
	        echo '<p class="replyTo"><a href="'.url_add_param( $Item->get_permanent_url(), 'am_nestCmnt_reply_to='.$Comment->ID ).'#bComment_form_id_'.$Item->ID.'">Reply to <span>comment '.$Comment->ID.' by </span>'.$Comment->get_author_name().'</a></p>'; 
	      } 
	      ?> 

// Nested comments part 3 of 3 
	    <div class="bComment"<?php echo ( isset( $Comment->depth ) ? ' style="margin-left:'.( $Comment->depth * 2).'em"' : '' );?>> 

$CommentList->display_if_empty(
								'<div class="bComment"><p>' .
								sprintf( /* TRANS: NO comments/trackabcks/pingbacks/ FOR THIS POST... */
													T_('No %s for this post yet...'), implode( "/", $disp_title) ) .
								'</p></div>' );

while( $Comment = & $CommentList->get_next() )
	{	// Loop through comments:
		?>
		<!-- ========== START of a COMMENT/TB/PB ========== -->
		<?php $Comment->anchor() ?>
		<div class="bComment">
			<div class="bCommentTitle">
			<?php
				switch( $Comment->get( 'type' ) )
				{
					case 'comment': // Display a comment:
						echo T_('Comment from:').' ';
						$Comment->author();
						$Comment->msgform_link( $Blog->get('msgformurl') );
						$Comment->author_url( '', ' &middot; ', '' );
						break;

case 'trackback': // Display a trackback:
						echo T_('Trackback from:') ?>
						<?php $Comment->author( '', '#', '', '#', 'htmlbody', true ) ?>
						<?php break;

case 'pingback': // Display a pingback:
						echo T_('Pingback from:') ?>
						<?php break;
				}
			?>
			</div>
			<div class="bCommentText">
				<?php $Comment->content() ?>
			</div>
			<div class="bCommentSmallPrint">
				<?php	$Comment->permanent_link( '#', '#', 'permalink_right' ); ?>

<?php $Comment->edit_link( '', '', '#', '#', 'permalink_right' ); /* Link to backoffice for editing */ ?>
				<?php $Comment->delete_link( '', '', '#', '#', 'permalink_right' ); /* Link to backoffice for deleting */ ?>

<?php $Comment->date() ?> @ <?php $Comment->time( 'H:i' ) ?>
			</div>
		</div>
		<!-- ========== END of a COMMENT/TB/PB ========== -->
		<?php
	}	// End of comment list loop.

// _______________________________________________________________

// Display count of comments to be moderated:
	$Item->feedback_moderation( 'feedbacks', '<div class="moderation_msg"><p>', '</p></div>',
												T_('This post has no feedback awaiting moderation...'),
												T_('This post has 1 feedback awaiting moderation... %s'),
												T_('This post has %d feedbacks awaiting moderation... %s') );

// Comment form:
	if( $disp_comment_form && $Item->can_comment() )
	{ // We want to display the comments form and the item can be commented on:

// Default form params:
		$comment_author = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_name]) ? trim($_COOKIE[$cookie_name]) : '';
		$comment_author_email = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_email]) ? trim($_COOKIE[$cookie_email]) : '';
		$comment_author_url = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_url]) ? trim($_COOKIE[$cookie_url]) : '';
		$comment_content = '';

// PREVIEW:
		$preview_Comment = $Session->get('core.preview_Comment');

if( $preview_Comment )
		{
			if( $preview_Comment->item_ID == $Item->ID )
			{ // display PREVIEW:
				?>
				<div class="bComment" id="comment_preview">
					<?php
						echo T_('PREVIEW Comment from:').' ';
						$preview_Comment->author();
						$preview_Comment->msgform_link( $Blog->get('msgformurl') );
						$preview_Comment->author_url( '', ' &middot; ', '' );
					?>
					</div>
						<?php $preview_Comment->content() ?>
					</div>
						<?php $preview_Comment->date() ?> @ <?php $preview_Comment->time( 'H:i' ) ?>
					</div>
				</div>

<?php
				// Form fields:
				$comment_content = $preview_Comment->original_content;
				// for visitors:
				$comment_author = $preview_Comment->author;
				$comment_author_email = $preview_Comment->author_email;
				$comment_author_url = $preview_Comment->author_url;
			}

// delete any preview comment from session data:
			$Session->delete( 'core.preview_Comment' );
			$preview_Comment = NULL;
		}

?>
		<h4 class="bCommentLeaveHead"><?php echo T_('Leave a comment') ?>:</h4>

<!-- form to add a comment -->
		<?php
		$Form = & new Form( $htsrv_url.'comment_post.php', 'bComment_form_id_'.$Item->ID );
		$Form->begin_form( 'bComment' );

$Form->hidden( 'comment_post_ID', $Item->ID );
		$Form->hidden( 'redirect_to',
				// Make sure we get back to the right page (on the right domain)
				// fplanque>> TODO: check if we can use the permalink instead but we must check that application wide,
				// that is to say: check with the comments in a pop-up etc...
				url_rel_to_same_host(regenerate_url( '', '', $Blog->get('blogurl'), '&' ), $htsrv_url) );

if( is_logged_in() )
		{ // User is logged in:
			$Form->begin_fieldset();
			$Form->info_field( T_('User'), '<strong>'.$current_User->get_preferred_name().'</strong>'
				.' '.get_user_profile_link( ' [', ']', T_('Edit profile') ) );
			$Form->end_fieldset();
		}
		else
		{ // User is not logged in:
			// Note: we use funky field names to defeat the most basic guestbook spam bots
			$Form->text( 'u', $comment_author, 40, T_('Name'), '', 100, 'bComment' );
			$Form->text( 'i', $comment_author_email, 40, T_('Email'), T_('Your email address will <strong>not</strong> be displayed on this site.'), 100, 'bComment' );
			$Form->text( 'o', $comment_author_url, 40, T_('Site/Url'), T_('Your URL will be displayed.'), 100, 'bComment' );
		}

echo '<div class="comment_toolbars">';
		// CALL PLUGINS NOW:
		$Plugins->trigger_event( 'DisplayCommentToolbar', array() );
		echo '</div>';

// Message field:
		$Form->textarea( 'p', $comment_content, 10, T_('Comment text'),
										T_('Allowed XHTML tags').': '.htmlspecialchars(str_replace( '><',', ', $comment_allowed_tags)), 40, 'bComment' );
		// set b2evoCanvas for plugins
		echo '<script type="text/javascript">var b2evoCanvas = document.getElementById( "p" );</script>';
		$comment_options = array();
		$Form->output = false;
		$Form->label_to_the_left = false;
		$old_label_suffix = $Form->label_suffix;
		$Form->label_suffix = '';
		$Form->switch_layout('inline');
		if( substr($comments_use_autobr,0,4) == 'opt-')
		{
			$comment_options[] = $Form->checkbox_input( 'comment_autobr', ($comments_use_autobr == 'opt-out'), T_('Auto-BR'), array(
				'note' => '('.T_('Line breaks become &lt;br /&gt;').')', 'tabindex' => 6 ) );
		}
		if( ! is_logged_in() )
			$comment_options[] = $Form->checkbox_input( 'comment_cookies', true, T_('Remember me'), array(
				'note' => '('.T_('Set cookies for name, email and url').')', 'tabindex' => 7 ) );
			// TODO: If we got info from cookies, Add a link called "Forget me now!" (without posting a comment).

$comment_options[] = $Form->checkbox_input( 'comment_allow_msgform', true, T_('Allow message form'), array(
				'note' => '('.T_('Allow users to contact you through a message form (your email will NOT be displayed.)').')', 'tabindex' => 8 ) );
			// TODO: If we have an email in a cookie, Add links called "Add a contact icon to all my previous comments" and "Remove contact icon from all my previous comments".
		}
		$Form->output = true;
		$Form->label_to_the_left = true;
		$Form->label_suffix = $old_label_suffix;
		$Form->switch_layout(NULL);

if( ! empty($comment_options) )
		{
			$Form->begin_fieldset();
				echo $Form->begin_field( NULL, T_('Options'), true );
				echo implode( '<br />', $comment_options );
				echo $Form->end_field();
			$Form->end_fieldset();
		}

$Plugins->trigger_event( 'DisplayCommentFormFieldset', array( 'Form' => & $Form, 'Item' => & $Item ) );

$Form->begin_fieldset();
			echo '<div class="input">';

$Form->button_input( array( 'name' => 'submit_comment_post_'.$Item->ID.'[save]', 'class' => 'submit', 'value' => T_('Send comment'), 'tabindex' => 10 ) );
			$Form->button_input( array( 'name' => 'submit_comment_post_'.$Item->ID.'[preview]', 'class' => 'preview', 'value' => T_('Preview'), 'tabindex' => 9 ) );

$Plugins->trigger_event( 'DisplayCommentFormButton', array( 'Form' => & $Form, 'Item' => & $Item ) );

echo '</div>';
		$Form->end_fieldset();
		?>

<div class="clear"></div>

<?php
		$Form->end_form();
	}

}

?> 

Again, thank you so much for your help!

4 Aug 24, 2007 22:48

Something goes wrong between piece two and three:

{ 
            echo '<p class="replyTo"><a href="'.url_add_param( $Item->get_permanent_url(), 'am_nestCmnt_reply_to='.
$Comment->ID ).'#bComment_form_id_'.$Item->ID.'">Reply to
 <span>comment '.$Comment->ID.' by 
</span>'.$Comment->get_author_name().'</a></p>'; 
          } 
          ?> 

You closed php-mode through ?> but you never opened php-mode with <?php before the third part.
In your case you can delete the ?> in the middle of this code fragment.

Good luck

5 Aug 24, 2007 23:45

Afwas wrote:

Something goes wrong between piece two and three:

{ 
            echo '<p class="replyTo"><a href="'.url_add_param( $Item->get_permanent_url(), 'am_nestCmnt_reply_to='.
$Comment->ID ).'#bComment_form_id_'.$Item->ID.'">Reply to
 <span>comment '.$Comment->ID.' by 
</span>'.$Comment->get_author_name().'</a></p>'; 
          } 
          ?> 

You closed php-mode through ?> but you never opened php-mode with <?php before the third part.
In your case you can delete the ?> in the middle of this code fragment.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply! :D

I tried that, but it gave me the same error in another line. Then I kept seeing what might have been the same type of problem in other spots and trying to fix each of them, but it kept having the same type of error each time on a different line.
It became a big mess with all my edits and I ended up just overwriting the file with the original _feedback.php and repasting the code for the plugin.

It then worked fine, apparently because I pasted the second part in a different spot this time, and it worked.
It seems the place where I had it before was causing the problem.

Now it works, but I have other questions, if you don't mind helping with it. :D

Depending on the skin, the comments show as an identical succession of boxes the same size, or as a string of boxes diminishing in size as it goes.
It's not very clear for the visitors who replied to who, since you can't really tell appart the comments to the main post and the replies to the previous comments.
In some cases, it kind of looks like everything is just comments to the main post, and in other cases, because of the diminishing size of the boxes and all it looks like the comments are all a thread of replies one to the other, even when it's not the case. (In some skins it looks a bit weird too, due to all the lines).
I tried to post several comments to see the differences, and switched around several skins also to see the different possibilities.

Is there a way to make the comments more like other blog ones such as livejournal, where comments to the post will all be the same size, and comments replying to other comments will have slightly less wide boxes and follow in a clear thread from the comment they replied to?

Sorry for all the weird questions, and thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide! :D

If I'm asking in the wrong section, is there a specific area for this type of question? :oops:

Edit: Also, I could be wrong, but I'm under the impresssion that the third part is what causes the weird look making it seem each of the comments are a reply to the comment immediatly above, and not to the main post or to the previous comments.

<div class="bComment"<?php echo ( isset( $Comment->depth ) ? ' style="margin-left:'.( $Comment->depth * 2).'em"' : '' );?>> 

Would there be a way it could be modified to change that problem? :-/

6 Aug 24, 2007 23:56

That's a nice question for ¥åßßå to answer, but I do recollect it being asked before and to my knowledge this new version did something more or better than a previous version. I did a quick search in the forum, but I couldn't find anything that matched my memory.

If your post was in the wrong section, a moderator would have moved it to the right section often accompanied with an encouraging word of wisdom.

7 Aug 25, 2007 00:19

Afwas wrote:

That's a nice question for ¥åßßå to answer, but I do recollect it being asked before and to my knowledge this new version did something more or better than a previous version. I did a quick search in the forum, but I couldn't find anything that matched my memory.

Thanks for looking for it, in any case! :D

I hope he'll drop by here then. :D

Would I have better chances here, or do you think I should just go to his site to ask? :-/
(I was thinking it might be faster by asking directly, but was also thinking that by staying here, maybe the topic would be useful also to other people who might drop by and have the same question in the future. :) )

Afwas wrote:

If your post was in the wrong section, a moderator would have moved it to the right section often accompanied with an encouraging word of wisdom.

Thanks! I thought it might be the case, but asked just in case. *lol* :))

8 Aug 25, 2007 00:32

Regarding the mistake you made that cased the error and my answer: I got it half correct. I missed the opening <?php in my previous quote:

<?php 
          { 
            echo '<p class="replyTo"><a href="'.url_add_ [.. snip ..] get_author_name().'</a></p>'; 
          } 
          ?>  

I made a remark about the closing ?>, but this was also true for the opening <?php since the code was already in php-mode.

The error you got mentioned an unexpected '<' which is probably the < from <?php.

But you solved that one yourself.

Happy blogging

9 Aug 25, 2007 00:39

I noticed that one after the first thing I removed, and I removed that one too, and started scavenging ofr other ones, so in the end it all went weird before I overwrote and started anew. :))

But without your answer, I wouldn't have known how it worked, and wouldn't have managed to solve it anyway. :D

10 Aug 25, 2007 11:18

Sorry, my blog posts do tend to assume that the reader has a working knowledge of php, which is why I get scott to do the write ups on AstonishMe :P

Just from a brief glance you have/had part 3 in the wrong place, it's an addition to an existing line, not a line of it's own which may be causing your weird nesting.

You also have part 2 in the wrong place, it needs to be inside the comment loop.

It'd be helpful if you gave us a link to your blog so we can look at the source code that's being produced ;)

¥

11 Aug 25, 2007 17:41

Thanks so much for the reply! :D

I've been tweaking it around since then and realized the problem about part 2, so now it probably is in the right spot.
As for part 3, could you kindly tell me should I paste it then? :D

[url=http://sagakure.net/fandomhaven/]Here's the address of the blog so you can see.[/url] (It's just a beta one where I test it all for now).

And here's my _feedback.php as it is right now:

<?php
/**
 * This is the template that displays the feedback for a post
 * (comments, trackback, pingback...)
 * You may want to call this file multiple time in a row with different $c $tb $pb params.
 * This allow to seprate different kinds of feedbacks instead of displaying them mixed together
 * This file is not meant to be called directly.
 * It is meant to be called by an include in the _main.php template.
 * To display a feedback, you should call a stub AND pass the right parameters
 * For example: /blogs/index.php?p=1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
 * Note: don't code this URL by hand, use the template functions to generate it!
 * b2evolution - {@link http://b2evolution.net/}
 * Released under GNU GPL License - {@link http://b2evolution.net/about/license.html}
 * @copyright (c)2003-2007 by Francois PLANQUE - {@link http://fplanque.net/}
 * @package evoskins
 */
if( !defined('EVO_MAIN_INIT') ) die( 'Please, do not access this page directly.' );

if( empty($c) )
{	// Comments not requested
	$disp_comments = 0;					// DO NOT Display the comments if not requested
	$disp_comment_form = 0;			// DO NOT Display the comments form if not requested
}

if( empty($tb) || !$Blog->get( 'allowtrackbacks' ) )
{	// Trackback not requested or not allowed
	$disp_trackbacks = 0;				// DO NOT Display the trackbacks if not requested
	$disp_trackback_url = 0;		// DO NOT Display the trackback URL if not requested
}

if( empty($pb) )
{	// Pingback not requested
	$disp_pingbacks = 0;				// DO NOT Display the pingbacks if not requested
}

if( ! ($disp_comments || $disp_comment_form || $disp_trackbacks || $disp_trackback_url || $disp_pingbacks ) )
{	// Nothing more to do....
	return false;
}

echo '<a id="feedbacks"></a>';

$type_list = array();
$disp_title = array();
if( $disp_comments )
{	// We requested to display comments
	if( $Item->can_see_comments() )
	{ // User can see a comments
		$type_list[] = "'comment'";
		$disp_title[] = T_("Comments");
	}
	else
	{ // Use cannot see comments
		$disp_comments = false;
	}
	echo '<a id="comments"></a>';
}
if( $disp_trackbacks )
{
	$type_list[] = "'trackback'";
	$disp_title[] = T_("Trackbacks");
	echo '<a id="trackbacks"></a>';
}
if( $disp_pingbacks )
{
	$type_list[] = "'pingback'";
	$disp_title[] = T_("Pingbacks");
	echo '<a id="pingbacks"></a>';
}

if( $disp_trackback_url )
{ // We want to display the trackback URL:
	?>
	<h4><?php echo T_('Trackback address for this post:') ?></h4>

<?php
	/*
	 * Trigger plugin event, which could display a captcha form, before generating a whitelisted URL:
	 */
	if( ! $Plugins->trigger_event_first_true( 'DisplayTrackbackAddr', array('Item' => & $Item, 'template' => '<code>%url%</code>') ) )
	{ // No plugin displayed a payload, so we just display the default:
		?>
		<code><?php $Item->trackback_url() ?></code>
		<?php
	}
}

if( $disp_comments || $disp_trackbacks || $disp_pingbacks  )
{
	?>

<!-- Title for comments, tbs, pbs... -->
	<h4><?php echo implode( ", ", $disp_title) ?>:</h4>

<?php
	$CommentList = & new CommentList( 0, implode(',', $type_list), array('published'), $Item->ID, '', 'ASC' );

$Plugins->call_by_code( 'amNestCmnt', array() ); 

$CommentList->display_if_empty(
								'<div class="bComment"><p>' .
								sprintf( /* TRANS: NO comments/trackabcks/pingbacks/ FOR THIS POST... */
													T_('No %s for this post yet...'), implode( "/", $disp_title) ) .
								'</p></div>' );

while( $Comment = & $CommentList->get_next() )
	{	// Loop through comments:
		?>

<div class="bComment">
			<?php
				switch( $Comment->get( 'type' ) )
				{
					case 'comment': // Display a comment:
						echo T_('Comment from:').' ';
						$Comment->author();
						$Comment->msgform_link( $Blog->get('msgformurl') );
						$Comment->author_url( '', ' &middot; ', '' );
						break;

case 'trackback': // Display a trackback:
						echo T_('Trackback from:') ?>
						<?php break;

case 'pingback': // Display a pingback:
						echo T_('Pingback from:') ?>
						<?php break;
				}
			?>
			</div>

<?php $Comment->content() ?>
			</div>
				<?php	$Comment->permanent_link( '#', '#', 'permalink_right' ); ?>

<?php $Comment->edit_link( '', '', '#', '#', 'permalink_right' ); /* Link to backoffice for editing */ ?>
				<?php $Comment->delete_link( '', '', '#', '#', 'permalink_right' ); /* Link to backoffice for deleting */ ?>

<?php $Comment->date() ?> @ <?php $Comment->time( 'H:i' ) ?>
			</div>
		</div>

<?php 
	      { 
	        echo '<p class="replyTo"><a href="'.url_add_param( $Item->get_permanent_url(), 'am_nestCmnt_reply_to='.$Comment->ID ).'#bComment_form_id_'.$Item->ID.'">Reply to <span>comment '.$Comment->ID.' by </span>'.$Comment->get_author_name().'</a></p>'; 
	      } 
	      ?> 

<?php
	}	// End of comment list loop.

// Display count of comments to be moderated:
	$Item->feedback_moderation( 'feedbacks', '<div class="moderation_msg"><p>', '</p></div>',
												T_('This post has no feedback awaiting moderation...'),
												T_('This post has 1 feedback awaiting moderation... %s'),
												T_('This post has %d feedbacks awaiting moderation... %s') );

// Comment form:
	if( $disp_comment_form && $Item->can_comment() )
	{ // We want to display the comments form and the item can be commented on:

// Default form params:
		$comment_author = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_name]) ? trim($_COOKIE[$cookie_name]) : '';
		$comment_author_email = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_email]) ? trim($_COOKIE[$cookie_email]) : '';
		$comment_author_url = isset($_COOKIE[$cookie_url]) ? trim($_COOKIE[$cookie_url]) : '';
		$comment_content = '';

// PREVIEW:
		$preview_Comment = $Session->get('core.preview_Comment');

if( $preview_Comment )
		{
			if( $preview_Comment->item_ID == $Item->ID )
			{ // display PREVIEW:
				?>
				<div class="bComment" id="comment_preview">
					<?php
						echo T_('PREVIEW Comment from:').' ';
						$preview_Comment->author();
						$preview_Comment->msgform_link( $Blog->get('msgformurl') );
						$preview_Comment->author_url( '', ' &middot; ', '' );
					?>
					</div>
						<?php $preview_Comment->content() ?>
					</div>
						<?php $preview_Comment->date() ?> @ <?php $preview_Comment->time( 'H:i' ) ?>
					</div>
				</div>

<?php
				// Form fields:
				$comment_content = $preview_Comment->original_content;
				// for visitors:
				$comment_author = $preview_Comment->author;
				$comment_author_email = $preview_Comment->author_email;
				$comment_author_url = $preview_Comment->author_url;
			}

// delete any preview comment from session data:
			$Session->delete( 'core.preview_Comment' );
			$preview_Comment = NULL;
		}

?>
		<h4 class="bCommentLeaveHead"><?php echo T_('Leave a comment') ?>:</h4>

<!-- form to add a comment -->
		<?php
		$Form = & new Form( $htsrv_url.'comment_post.php', 'bComment_form_id_'.$Item->ID );
		$Form->begin_form( 'bComment' );

$Form->hidden( 'comment_post_ID', $Item->ID );
		$Form->hidden( 'redirect_to',
				// Make sure we get back to the right page (on the right domain)
				// fplanque>> TODO: check if we can use the permalink instead but we must check that application wide,
				// that is to say: check with the comments in a pop-up etc...
				url_rel_to_same_host(regenerate_url( '', '', $Blog->get('blogurl'), '&' ), $htsrv_url) );

if( is_logged_in() )
		{ // User is logged in:
			$Form->begin_fieldset();
			$Form->info_field( T_('User'), '<strong>'.$current_User->get_preferred_name().'</strong>'
				.' '.get_user_profile_link( ' [', ']', T_('Edit profile') ) );
			$Form->end_fieldset();
		}
		else
			// Note: we use funky field names to defeat the most basic guestbook spam bots
			$Form->text( 'u', $comment_author, 40, T_('Name'), '', 100, 'bComment' );
			$Form->text( 'i', $comment_author_email, 40, T_('Email'), T_('Your email address will <strong>not</strong> be displayed on this site.'), 100, 'bComment' );
			$Form->text( 'o', $comment_author_url, 40, T_('Site/Url'), T_('Your URL will be displayed.'), 100, 'bComment' );
		}

echo '<div class="comment_toolbars">';
		// CALL PLUGINS NOW:
		$Plugins->trigger_event( 'DisplayCommentToolbar', array() );
		echo '</div>';

// Message field:
		$Form->textarea( 'p', $comment_content, 10, T_('Comment text'),
										T_('Allowed XHTML tags').': '.htmlspecialchars(str_replace( '><',', ', $comment_allowed_tags)), 40, 'bComment' );
		// set b2evoCanvas for plugins
		echo '<script type="text/javascript">var b2evoCanvas = document.getElementById( "p" );</script>';
		$comment_options = array();
		$Form->output = false;
		$Form->label_to_the_left = false;
		$old_label_suffix = $Form->label_suffix;
		$Form->label_suffix = '';
		$Form->switch_layout('inline');
		if( substr($comments_use_autobr,0,4) == 'opt-')
		{
			$comment_options[] = $Form->checkbox_input( 'comment_autobr', ($comments_use_autobr == 'opt-out'), T_('Auto-BR'), array(
				'note' => '('.T_('Line breaks become &lt;br /&gt;').')', 'tabindex' => 6 ) );
		}
		if( ! is_logged_in() )
			$comment_options[] = $Form->checkbox_input( 'comment_cookies', true, T_('Remember me'), array(
				'note' => '('.T_('Set cookies for name, email and url').')', 'tabindex' => 7 ) );
			// TODO: If we got info from cookies, Add a link called "Forget me now!" (without posting a comment).

$comment_options[] = $Form->checkbox_input( 'comment_allow_msgform', true, T_('Allow message form'), array(
				'note' => '('.T_('Allow users to contact you through a message form (your email will NOT be displayed.)').')', 'tabindex' => 8 ) );
			// TODO: If we have an email in a cookie, Add links called "Add a contact icon to all my previous comments" and "Remove contact icon from all my previous comments".
		}
		$Form->output = true;
		$Form->label_to_the_left = true;
		$Form->label_suffix = $old_label_suffix;
		$Form->switch_layout(NULL);

if( ! empty($comment_options) )
		{
			$Form->begin_fieldset();
				echo $Form->begin_field( NULL, T_('Options'), true );
				echo implode( '<br />', $comment_options );
				echo $Form->end_field();
			$Form->end_fieldset();
		}

$Plugins->trigger_event( 'DisplayCommentFormFieldset', array( 'Form' => & $Form, 'Item' => & $Item ) );

$Form->begin_fieldset();
			echo '<div class="input">';

$Form->button_input( array( 'name' => 'submit_comment_post_'.$Item->ID.'[save]', 'class' => 'submit', 'value' => T_('Send comment'), 'tabindex' => 10 ) );
			$Form->button_input( array( 'name' => 'submit_comment_post_'.$Item->ID.'[preview]', 'class' => 'preview', 'value' => T_('Preview'), 'tabindex' => 9 ) );

$Plugins->trigger_event( 'DisplayCommentFormButton', array( 'Form' => & $Form, 'Item' => & $Item ) );

echo '</div>';
		$Form->end_fieldset();
		?>

<div class="clear"></div>

<?php
		$Form->end_form();
	}

}

?>

[url=http://sagakure.net/fandomhaven//index.php?blog=2&title=d&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1]In this blog post you can see what I was talking about with the comments looking strange.[/url]

Ideally, I'd absolutely love if it was possible to have all the comments to the main post be the same width, and the comments replying to other comments be decreasingly small so that people can see who's replying to who and who's replying to the main post.

By the way, does it sends notifications to the people whose comments were replied to? :D

12 Aug 25, 2007 18:09

Ok, first off you need to change this bit :

?> 

<?php
    }    // End of comment list loop. 

to :

?> 

<?php
    }    // End of comment list loop. 

And then change this bit :

<div class="bComment"> 

to :

ish :p

¥

13 Aug 25, 2007 20:42

Thanks!

I just changed it the way you said, but I still have the same problem than before. :oops:

[url=http://sagakure.net/fandomhaven//index.php?blog=4&title=title_3&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1]Here's a post I made to test.[/url]
As you can see, the ones called "test comment" 1,2,3 were comments to the main post, and the replies are to the comment above them. But the comments keep diminishing in size as it goes, making that they all seem a succession of replies starting with the first comment, rather than different comments replying either to the post or to each other. As a result, people can't see who replied to who if more than two people are talking.
(Also, the string of comments creates weird side-effects on the skin, I'm not sure if there's a way to avoid that too. :-/ )

Do you think it would be possible to have the comments to the post in the same size, and the replies to comments in a string of boxes like that, rather than all the comments in a single string?
(I'm not sure if I'm being very clear with my string thing, sorry, english isn't my first language).

Basically, is this problem happening because I'm doing something wrong, or is that the normal behavior of the plugin?
And either way, is there something I can do to have the comment threads the way I have in mind, more like how they are on Livejournal? (all the same size when replying to the post, and a string of diminishing size for a thread of comments replying to each other).

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give me with this! :D

The comments plugin is the one I'm most looking forward to being able to use in my blog, so I'm hoping it's possible to have it work the way I was thinking of. :D

14 Aug 25, 2007 21:09

This is a style (css) 'problem'. Do change to another skin and it will look completely different.
Although I made a mistake (hassled #24 and #27) I believe the comments are nested correctly. Is that you conclusion also?

15 Aug 25, 2007 22:32

When I wrote 'This is a style (CSS) thing i meant the following. In ../blogs/skins/stylesheet.css I found the following:

.bComment {
margin-right: 20px;
margin-left: 20px;
margin-top: 8px;
font-weight: 500;
margin-bottom: 8px;
padding-right: 8px;
padding-left: 8px;
border: 1px solid #818C8E;
}

The margin-right means that every nested comment cuts 20 px of the right margin. That is the largest problem in the layout at this moment. You can disable or delete this line in the css.

Unfortunately there isn't an extra class tag for the nested comments apart from the main comments, the all are class="bComment". This makes styling awkward but not impossible.
First disable (place between /* and */) or delete the line

in stylesheet.css
In blogs/skins/YOURSKIN/_main.php the comments start here:

// ------------- START OF INCLUDE FOR COMMENTS, TRACKBACK, PINGBACK, ETC. -------------
$disp_comments = 1;					// Display the comments if requested

Make a div between these two lines like so:

// ------------- START OF INCLUDE FOR COMMENTS, TRACKBACK, PINGBACK, ETC. -------------
<div class="bCommentStart">
$disp_comments = 1;					// Display the comments if requested

and end the div with </div> after:

$disp_comment_form = 1;			// Display the comments form if comments requested

and in your stylesheet.css add:

.bCommentStart {
}

I am not completely sure if this does what I want because I cannot see from here where the pingbacks and the tracksbacks go. Probably you want to include them in the div together with the comments and the comments form. In that case, place the closing </div> before:

// -------------- END OF INCLUDE FOR COMMENTS, TRACKBACK, PINGBACK, ETC. --------------

For a quick view do this:
take the steps above, but replace <div class="bCommentStart"> by <div style="margin-right:20px">. Then you do not have to add the line in stylesheet.css, but you still have to comment out or delete the margin-right:20 px;

Good luck

16 Aug 26, 2007 00:40

Thank you so much for the more detailed stuff! :D :D

I just did it all, and got an error warning on line 133 of _main.php, but then by just using the last line of your post instead, along with disabling margin-right:20 px; like you said, it now looks lovely.
It should work fine that way also, right?

It's too bad there's no way for it to identify which ones are comments to the main post and which ones are comments to each other, but at least now it looks much better. (on Opera and Firefox, on IE it's still a mess but at least the other two are fine).

You wouldn't happen to also have a CSS way to make the sidebar not end up beneath the comments once comments start to fill the page, would you? :oops:

As for the differenciation between normal comments and comment replies, do you think you might release something like that in a future version of the plugin? :D
*will happily look forward to it if you do*

17 Aug 26, 2007 01:01

I'll have another look at it tomorrow. I need to setup in my testlab because I also need to tamper with the plugin's code. That will take some time altogether.

18 Aug 26, 2007 03:01

@¥åßßå:
How did you get $Comment->depth? I can nowhere find $depth in combination with Comment and also, it doesn't work with Sagakures blog nor in my testlab. It fails (= FALSE) the if statement in:

If I remove the if statement, margin-left is set to 0em.

@Sagakures: for the time being, you may also comment out "margin-left: 20px;" in the line below margin-right: 20px; (the line you commented out earlier). in the stylesheet.css. When we get this sorted out, the margin-left will be determined by the depth of the comment branch.

19 Aug 26, 2007 09:26

Hi Afwas,

The comment depth ( and parent ) are set by the plugin in this section of the code :

// lets set all the parents and depths
		for( $z = 0; $z < $evoComments; $z++ )
		{
			$sql = 'select comment_parent, comment_depth from '.$this->get_sql_table('nesting').' where comment_ID = '.$CommentList->Obj[ $z ]->ID;
			$fred = $DB->get_results( $sql );

if( empty( $fred[0]->comment_parent ) ) $fred[0]->comment_parent = $CommentList->Obj[ $z ]->ID;
			if( empty( $fred[0]->comment_depth ) ) $fred[0]->comment_depth = 0;
			$CommentList->Obj[ $z ]->parent = $fred[0]->comment_parent;
			$CommentList->Obj[ $z ]->depth = $fred[0]->comment_depth;
		}

It will always be zero unless it's a nested comment.

Also, if you prefer to use class names to inline styles then you can change step 3 to look like this :

<div class="bComment depth<?php echo ( isset( $Comment->depth ) ? $Comment->depth : 0 );?>">

This will then give you classes depth0 -> depth#, I chose to use inline styles to allow infinite nesting

¥

20 Aug 26, 2007 10:58

After (actually before) the comment is being moderated the comment is just next in line, so it's never a comment on a comment.
At Sagakures site the order of the comments looks ok to me, but he also has a margin-left not displaying problem (so no nesting). Have a look at his site (not mine, that's a 2.0 with other errors as well, http://www.blog.hemminga.net/index.php?blog=9&blog=9&title=test&disp=single&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#c358) to see what I mean. The identation of Sagakures site is css based stylesheet: margin-left: 20px; that's repeatedly carried out.

Any clue where to look?

21 Aug 26, 2007 11:05

I don't use comment moderation on my site so I've never noticed any problems with them, but, the fact that a comment is moderated shouldn't affect the nesting.

I've not tried it with a 2.0 blog so I have no idea if it works or not ;)

The problem with Sagakures site is that all the "<div style="margin-right:20px" style="margin-left:4em">" ( apart from having double style tags ) are never closed

¥

22 Aug 26, 2007 11:12

Guys, thank you so much for all you're doing to help, you're really awesome! :D

I'm pretty lost in all the technical parts, but I'm happy that the comments have a reply-to function thanks to the plugin, and I like the way they look cascading down now. :)

I'll be offline part of the day tomorrow, but as soon as I can I'll be back. :D

I don't use comment moderation either, if that changes anything.

Afwas, I'm a she by the way. :D (Not that it matters. *lol*)

¥åßßå, would closing those tags make my problem with the sidebar be solved? (When there are more comments, the sidebar ends up beneath them instead of on the right of the blog.) :)

23 Aug 26, 2007 11:12

¥åßßå wrote:

I don't use comment moderation on my site so I've never noticed any problems with them, but, the fact that a comment is moderated shouldn't affect the nesting.

Just disabled it on my site.
¥åßßå wrote:

I've not tried it with a 2.0 blog so I have no idea if it works or not ;)

It gives funny print:
Afwas' site wrote:

admin

Reply to comment 356 by

where admin should be the last word and not the first (your <span> I presume)

¥åßßå wrote:

The problem with Sagakures site is that all the "<div style="margin-right:20px" style="margin-left:4em">" ( apart from having double style tags ) are never closed

¥

Tx for that one, I didn't notice

24 Aug 26, 2007 11:48

Sagakure wrote:

¥åßßå, would closing those tags make my problem with the sidebar be solved? (When there are more comments, the sidebar ends up beneath them instead of on the right of the blog.) :)

Probably ;)

Afwas :
Ok, I just installed it on 2.0 ( what a bloody mess that was ).

To make it work I've had to make some changes to the plugin ( and the skintag call ), however, the "admin" error is a bug in the core ( nice find ;) ). This section of code :

/**
	 * Get the comment author's name.
	 * @return string
	 */
	function get_author_name()
	{
		if( $this->get_author_User() )
		{
			return $this->author_User->preferred_name( 'raw', false );
		}
		else
		{
			return $this->author;
		}
	}

( urm, inc/comments/model/_comment.class.php ) calls a method of the user class with what looks like a flag for "don't output", unfortunately the user class doesn't recognise the flag :-S

/**
	 * Template function: display user's preferred name
	 * @param string Output format, see {@link format_to_output()}
	 */
	function preferred_name( $format = 'htmlbody' )
	{
		echo format_to_output( $this->get_preferred_name(), $format );
	}

You can cure it in one of two ways. Either change the user class method to add the flag parameter in, or amend the comment class to use :

return $this->author_User->get_preferred_name();

The good news is that comment moderation had no effect on it.

If you grab the attached file it should make everything work in 2.0 but you need to change the following section of code in _item.feedback.inc.php

$Plugins->call_by_code( 'amNestCmnt', array( 'CommentList' => & $CommentList ) );

¥

25 Aug 26, 2007 13:23

Thanks ¥åßßå,

I've got it all up and running in the [url=http://www.blog.hemminga.net/index.php?blog=9]Testlab[/url]. On version 2.0a.
The raw and htmlbody difference occured once before and now it makes a little more sense to me (I answered a question lately where the output was too literal <a href .. in stead of a link.)
I still find this OO thing confusing if I didn't wrote it mysellf. I look for class Comment when the code is $Comment->depth. But I did notice the exact piece of code you showed in your post, because that's where the $depth came from.

Next I take a look at Sagakures site. Closing the divs places the sidebar where it belongs.

26 Aug 26, 2007 14:11

Sagakure:
You need to change two things. First in ../blogs/skins/_feedback.php add </div> right before <!-- ========== END of a COMMENT/TB/PB ========== --> so it looks:

</div>

Secondly the code ¥åßßå asked you to add seems to collide with the code from me, so you want to take the two parts together:
Where you added <div style="margin-right: 20px"> and ¥åßßå's code: <?php echo ( isset( $Comment->depth ) ? ' style="margin-left:'.( $Comment->depth * 2).'em"' : '' );?> make that;

<div style="margin-right: 20px; <?php echo ( isset( $Comment->depth ) ? ' margin-left:'.( $Comment->depth * 2).'em' : '' );?>">

and your comments should look the way it's intended, including the sidebar on the right. [url=http://www.blog.hemminga.net/ramblings.htm]Here[/url] is a static example of how it should look.

Good luck

28 Aug 26, 2007 18:05

What's a wobbler? :'( The capcha works, but the layout of the text is not perfect.
Did you notice:

This entry was posted on August 26th, 2007 at 01:26:28 am ?> and is filed under Main category.

That looks like core business to me.

ƒ

29 Aug 26, 2007 18:10

This is the most awesome thing ever! It's working exactly as I most hoped it would! :D
It's perfect!! :D

Thank you SO SO much guys, you're awesome! :D
I'm utterly delighted with the plugin and how perfectly everything is working now! Thank you so much!! :D

30 Aug 26, 2007 18:14

Always a pleasure.

Happy blogging

32 Aug 27, 2007 08:01

Afwas wrote:

What's a wobbler?

Lol, I meant it crashes out ;)

The html for the captcha section of your form looks like this :

<fieldset id="ffield_captcha_img_24_private">
<div class="label"><label for="captcha_img_24_private">Captcha code:</label></div>
<div class="input"><input type="text" id="captcha_img_24_private" name="captcha_img_24_private" class="form_text_input" size="7" maxlength="7"/>
 <span class="notes">Array</span></div>
</fieldset>

And submitting a comment leads to this error :

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/www/blog.hemminga.net/plugins/captcha_img_plugin/_captcha_img.plugin.php on line 539

Afwas wrote:

Did you notice:

This entry was posted on August 26th, 2007 at 01:26:28 am ?> and is filed under Main category.

That looks like core business to me.

It's caused by the extra ?> in this section of single.main.php

<p class="postmetadata alt">
			<small>
				This entry was posted	on <?php $Item->issue_time( 'F jS, Y' ); ?> at <?php $Item->issue_time(); ?> ?>

¥

33 Aug 27, 2007 14:56

Tx, fixed it all. Or in other words, blueyed already did an update for the captcha plugin.

34 Oct 01, 2007 18:03

Hi, sorry to be a hassle, but I've read through this thread many times now and I *really* want to make this plugin work on my blog (but can't). Thankyou ¥åßßå for creating it. I can see from other blogs that it can work beautifully!

I think I've actually done it all correctly, but I'm still getting a "Notice" and two "Warning"s. As far as I can tell from other threads and bugs.php.net it's in the plugin's code, not what I've added to _feedback.php. I'm running b2evo 1.10.2 and PHP version 5.2.1

Trouble is, I'm pretty new at this, particularly the php, and I guess I'm looking for somebody to just say "go to this part of the code and add/delete/replace this bit" :oops:

These are the things I'm getting on the page - replacing the comment that's already been left.

Notice: Indirect modification of overloaded property am_nested_comments_plugin::$comment_order has no effect in [...]/blogs/plugins/am_nested_comments_plugin/_am_nested_comments.plugin.php on line 158

Warning: array_unique() [function.array-unique]: The argument should be an array in [...]/blogs/plugins/am_nested_comments_plugin/_am_nested_comments.plugin.php on line 119

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [...]/blogs/plugins/am_nested_comments_plugin/_am_nested_comments.plugin.php on line 120

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give me.

35 Oct 01, 2007 18:24

hi cockatoo,

If I'm not mistaken there is some confilict in your setup and you're not to blame B) . I fixed some things and you find the result *removed obsolete link, see a few posts down *.

Download that file (right mouse click -> save as ...) and move it to your host in the folder ../blogs/plugins/am_nested_comments_plugin/. That's the original folder, so replace the original file with this one.

1) do keep an origial copy of the plugin
2) I couldn't test this, so there's no guarantee. Report any failure or succes back to this topic.

If you have subsequent questions, please ask.

Good luck

*edit*
Corrected your download link ;)
*edit*
actually, the link's still broken :p

36 Oct 01, 2007 18:37

Ack, that'll be my shady coding which tends to scream in php5 :P

The good news is I now have access to a couple of php5 servers so I'll slap it into shape and update the zip :P

¥

37 Oct 01, 2007 18:56

¥åßßå wrote:

Ack, that'll be my shady coding which tends to scream in php5 :P

Php5 rocks. I actually like it to scream if you did the coding. :p
I'm hoping to move to a new host later this week.

ƒ

38 Oct 01, 2007 18:59

Last time I made a php5 server scream with some blonde coding I melted one chip and slightly toasted it's replacement ;)

¥

39 Oct 01, 2007 19:04

¥åßßå wrote:

Last time I made a php5 server scream with some blonde coding I melted one chip and slightly toasted it's replacement ;)

¥

You should place the computer *inside* a pond, not *next to* a bucket.

ƒ

You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

40 Oct 01, 2007 19:10

cockatoo : If you [url=http://www.waffleson.co.uk/2007/03/11/nested_comments]download[/url] the zip again you should find it's cured, let me know if it's not :D

Afwas wrote:

You should place the computer *inside* a pond, not *next to* a bucket.

Lol, that was my pc not the server :P

Afwas wrote:

You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

I get that all the time, mainly when I'm playing with spammers ;)

¥

41 Oct 02, 2007 08:46

Afwas: sorry, didn't test your solution (yet) as ¥åßßå had already replied by the time I got back online (it was very late here when I sent my request and turned off my computer) and I decided to try the last suggestion first :)

¥åßßå: thankyou so much for your update, it appears to work perfectly now!

I really appreciate your help, and wow you guys answer quickly! I'm glad I finally asked and stopped being so stubborn... ;)

42 Oct 02, 2007 08:58

Hi cockatoo,

Glad to hear you sorted things out.

Good luck

Form is loading...