Recent Topics

1 Sep 30, 2007 08:00    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi all,

I'm planning to write a b2evolution importer from WP (latest version).

I have a little trouble understanding the b2evolution database schema. Could anybody explain the meaning of the tables in b2evolution database and which ones should be populated to import

1. Posts
2. Categories
3. comments

I'm not going to import users at the first stage, but if all goes well, maybe I can add that too or somebody can help me with it.

2 Sep 30, 2007 08:16

Hi,

B2evo is able to import MT (Movable Type) blogs and if things haven't changed and my memory serves my well, WordPress is able to export to MT. This way you are able to import a WP blog into B2evo (but don't take this as a fact, do the checking yourself).

I suggest you have a look at the way B2evo imports MT. There is a lot of information about the database structure. The file is ../blogs/inc/CONTROL/imports/import-mt.php.

Do report back to this topic if you have any subsequent questions.

Good luck

3 Sep 30, 2007 08:19

Actually there's no MT export for WordPress any more. :-/ I need to find a thirdparty script which converts WordPress to an MT export file format.

WordPress currently exports only an XML file which is called a "WordPress Export File".

I want to do one that converts it directly from the database.

Categories are a bit tricky since WP groups all categories, tags and link categories under "terms".

4 Sep 30, 2007 08:26

Thanks for the extra info. it makes your suggestion more so important. :)

The B2evo database is best described in the file that creates it. It's ../blogs/install/_functions_create.php. Do have a look at the [url=http://doc.b2evolution.net/]Technical Documentation[/url]. I haven't got a clue what's in there about the database and where you can find it.

I hope this get's you going.
Good luck

6 Sep 30, 2007 10:24

Thanks.

The schema of wordpress has changed from 2.2 to 2.3 and categories are now very tricky to export since they are mixed up with tags and link categories as well.

I have an idea in mind, but I need to learn more about b2evolution's database scheme and which fields are required.

I want to keep this as simple as possible at first to ensure that posts, comments and categories are exported. That is 90% of the work....

7 Sep 30, 2007 11:29

I've started writing it. :)

I'm still not 100% confident of getting categories, but even if I cannot associate it with posts later, I think it would be better to get the existing categories to the b2evolution blog.

I am just confused by the new categorization system in WP! My primary intention is to get posts, comments and categories into the b2evolution blog.

8 Sep 30, 2007 11:32

That's nice. It is very important now that you confirmed there's no more WP to MT export.

Looking forward for a WP to b2evo export :D

9 Sep 30, 2007 11:46

I'm working with 2.3 and the new "categories" system.

I've e-mailed Francois about it. If this works decently, maybe it can be put up in the download section of this site. :)

10 Sep 30, 2007 12:42

First success! I've already imported the categories. This is looking good.

It also supports sub-categories and ignores other taxonomies like "tags" or "link categories".

Just a note:

This importer is meant for WP 2.3 to b2evolution 2.01 alpha. :)

To use this importer, you don't need any of the files of WP on the server. This purely works on the databases.

11 Sep 30, 2007 16:11

I've now done post importing along with the correct categorization as well!

This is looking good. The next issue will be to take care of comments and users (apart from the admin).

Will probably finish it in a day or two but I need testers. :)

12 Sep 30, 2007 18:51

Done comments (with identification for trackbacks/pingbacks) as well. :D

Now only importing users left.

13 Sep 30, 2007 18:57

Looks promising the way you describe it. What are your plans, is this going to be a stand alone php script?

Good luck

14 Oct 01, 2007 03:12

It is a stand-alone script at the moment, totally using only the base mysql commands and php and no functions from either b2evo or WP.

But once I contribute it to the community, you guys can adapt it/hack it as you wish and improve upon it too :D

Form is loading...