Recent Topics

1 Oct 25, 2007 15:19    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

How do i prevent users from posting foul language on my blog? I know there should be an automatic filter, but I'm not sure where it is or how to get it working.

Thanks!

2 Oct 29, 2007 13:40

There is a spam filter, but not a foul language filter to my knowledge. To answer this question I have looked at some solutions outside B2evo, but they are scarce. You can try the "request a plugin or hack" topic of this forum.

Good luck

3 Oct 29, 2007 17:06

How do i prevent users from posting foul language on my blog

Get better users.

4 Oct 30, 2007 08:02

whoo - gee, that was extremely unhelpful. Why bother to even reply? Looking to pad your posting stats or something?

That was rhetorical - no need to reply.

Afwas - thank you for being courteous enough to respond with a meaningful answer, albeit not what I was hoping for. Other blogging software I've seen does allow for word filter and replacing, and I was hoping this would have the same feature.

whoo wrote:

How do i prevent users from posting foul language on my blog

Get better users.

5 Oct 30, 2007 08:18

Well, any social format's best method is via Moderators.
If your the Admin and have some trusted other Admins then keeping language in the style that you think is appropriate is pretty easy

I'm sure hacks/plugins can be made but I'm equally sure that the the list of words will never cover all possibilities and will "bugger up" some genuine posts.

I think that what whoo was implying is that fast and immediate banning , ie getting rid of BAD users, is your best bet.

6 Oct 30, 2007 10:45

You might like to give MrDav a shout and see if he still has a copy of the filter plugin ;)

¥

7 Oct 30, 2007 12:46

I lost it when my Pc went down in 04. I ended up dc'ing that site that needed it, or I would have a copy online.

Sorry.

8 Oct 30, 2007 14:00

theoretically speaking, lets say you have a bad tooth (one that probably cannot be saved).

Do you continue to use ambesol to dull the pain or do you pull the tooth?

The same theory applies to your question, and my answer.

You can hack at anything and everything, but why? Why not deal with the problem instead of patching the symptoms?

9 Oct 30, 2007 18:32

And I'm supposed to have the general population of Planet Earth behave themselves voluntarily?

If you can put on a pack of cigarettes that they will kill you if you smoke, and people smoke anyway, what good does putting up blog guidelines for behavior? People will do what they want, and I can only clean it up afterwards.

As Dr Phil would say, "How's that working out for you?".

You are an idiot.

whoo wrote:

theoretically speaking, lets say you have a bad tooth (one that probably cannot be saved).

Do you continue to use ambesol to dull the pain or do you pull the tooth?

The same theory applies to your question, and my answer.

You can hack at anything and everything, but why? Why not deal with the problem instead of patching the symptoms?

10 Oct 30, 2007 18:35

You must have missed the title under her nickname? Not to mention good manners.

11 Oct 30, 2007 19:53

you come here asking for a foul language filter and than proceed to call me an idiot because you dont like something I say.

thats classic.

12 Oct 31, 2007 00:31

No, I called you an idiot because you said something very idiotic and impossible to enforce in a practical way.

You apparently post just to pad your stats instead of actually helping someone, an idiotic display of behavior.

Then you claim I called you an idiot because you assumed it was due to my not liking something you said. That was an idiotic assumption.

One is an accident. Twice is suspect. Three is a trend. You are an idiot.

whoo wrote:

you come here asking for a foul language filter and than proceed to call me an idiot because you dont like something I say.

thats classic.

13 Oct 31, 2007 00:38

The point is, I came asking for help and the one labeled, "Forum Admin", who should be setting the example for others was the least helpful and more interested in seeing how funny he/she can be.

It wasn't funny, a total waste of time, and made me wish I never came here, were it not for John and Afwas.

You would do well to follow their example.

14 Oct 31, 2007 17:32

lol. talk about assumptions. Have you been helped? Good. this thread is done. Have a nice life.

Fwiw, John understood exactly what I was suggesting. And I dont have to pad my posts. There's no cookie for post counts here, anyway.

15 Oct 31, 2007 17:53

:cookie: wrote:

:|

¥

Form is loading...