Recent Topics

1 Nov 14, 2007 02:37    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi All:

A while back my 1.9.x version got hacked a number of times, and to cut a long story short I decided I'd install 2.x and work from there.

I'm hosted on a Windows account on LunarPages (that I'm pretty happy about). Changed the FTP login/password, etc, and that seems to have stopped the hacking (previously even an uninstalled version of b2e got hacked whilst just sitting on the server!)

The upgrade went fine but I noticed the helpful information on the Tools > System page, where it gives information about php settings to change.

I did ask LunarPages about the php.ini file and they said just to put it in the root blog directory: but that didn't change anything.

So my question is: Where do I put the php.ini file to get the settings changed?

When I queried them about the php.ini location they suggested to get a windows based blog may be a better alternative as it's more suited to IIS restrictions. Is that reasonable? Should I look for different blog software for the windows server?

Thanks,
Perry

2 Nov 14, 2007 08:15

Hi,

This is a common issue. Hosting company will put you on a wheel, giant wheel when we ask more especially php.ini and httpd config change.

To you question php.ini file you should look at ./usr/local/lib/php.ini,

My experience suggesting me that 90% of blog software will give you same type of troubles. I work on wordpress/wordpress mu, nucleous and be2 (consulting work).

I found b2e is more stable and near to my nature. Good support forum. So stick to one and get more from your hosting company.

Good luck.
zb

3 Nov 15, 2007 03:34

zblogwala wrote:

To you question php.ini file you should look at ./usr/local/lib/php.ini,

I don't think that I have that set up on my directory, at least what I can see; does that mean that the provider must put the file on?

They said:
Tech support wrote:

You would need the php.ini file in the directory where you need those settings applied as the custom php settings do not propagate down to lower folders.

Which does not seem to fit with your lib folder??

Thanks,
Perry

4 Nov 15, 2007 03:40

You put the php.ini file in the folder where you have the blog software, or in the root of your server.
You should be able to check with phpinfo() if the changes did take place. What zblogwala is referring to is a host that doesn't allow you to change some settings and particular the memory settings.

Good luck

5 Nov 15, 2007 04:13

Afwas wrote:

You put the php.ini file in the folder where you have the blog software, or in the root of your server.

OK, thats /blogs/ as unpacked from the distribution, right?

Well, that's where I put it, and it made no difference (I was using the System page in b2Evolution to check), which is why I wondered if it should go into a different folder??

Afwas wrote:

You should be able to check with phpinfo() if the changes did take place. What zblogwala is referring to is a host that doesn't allow you to change some settings and particular the memory settings.

Maybe that is the case, as I'm having trouble getting the settings accepted.

Thanks,
Perry

6 Nov 15, 2007 04:22

scribbly wrote:

Afwas wrote:

OK, thats /blogs/ as unpacked from the distribution, right?

Thanks,
Perry

Yeas, and you can also try the directory where the 'blogs' folder is located. That will be the root, I guess.

Good luck

7 Nov 15, 2007 04:31

Afwas wrote:

Yeas, and you can also try the directory where the 'blogs' folder is located. That will be the root, I guess.

Actually, the techs at LunarPages have just suggested:
LunarPages wrote:

As far as I can tel the only solution would be to place copy of the php.ini file within every b2Evolution directory.

Hmmm: that's quite a few directories, eh? :-/

8 Nov 15, 2007 04:39

Can you upgrade to php5? If so, try it.

9 Nov 19, 2007 06:03

OK, this has been solved with the extremely friendly and helpful actions from LunarPages HelpDesk...

Issue 1: On Windows IIS PHP must not be run as an ISAPI extension
Issue 2: php.ini must be located in the root directory of the website
Issue 3: cgi.force_redirect = Off had to be the first instruction

php.ini files in other sub-directories will not be processed, i.e. there is only one per site (although they did offer a few suggestions on how to get around this, but I didn't think that was necessary).

Hooray :p :p :p :p :p

10 Nov 19, 2007 06:07

Well done and thanks for reporting back to this topic.

Happy blogging

11 Nov 19, 2007 06:55

Afwas wrote:

Well done and thanks for reporting back to this topic.

Thanks. But I have to say that the only thing I'd accept a "Well done" for was the persistence. I just kept asking the questions until they were picked up by someone who knew what he was doing (inside out and back to front!)

For anyone else struggling with a HelpDesk: Persistance is sometimes the only card you've got to play!!

And anyone else on IIS (I gather not many ;) ), I'd hoped the information may be of some use.

Afwas wrote:

Happy blogging

Form is loading...