Recent Topics

1 Nov 28, 2007 04:58    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I've been away for heart surgery - got back a week ago and couldn't find a number of my websites. I inquired and got this message. This had to be related to all those trackbacks I was getting from RSS or something - does anyone have an idea, so when I get new space and get started again - it won't happen again. I'm trying to make everything LOCAL - no rss, no trackbacks, no pings - whatever it takes to avoid my sites being shut down. There was no one here so no one to send any spam.

Thanks John Hansen
========================================
John Hansen <majorhart@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Hi, I was away for a month and offline for about 3 months for open heart surgery and can't find my websites which have almost a year left on the spaces, with unlimited space, mysqls and bandwidth.

They are world-information-center.com blog-emporium.com pixel-ad-empire.com and several others.

Please check these out and let me know what happened.

Is digitalcityhosting.com out of business?

Thanks

John Hansen majorhart@sbcglobal.net

============================

Hi,

There were multiple occurences of thousands of spam messages sent from the account.

Notices:

16471 Admin ---suspended see ticket: KUD-734061 2007/11/19 EditEdit DeleteDelete
16807 Admin --- termed for spam 2007/11/26 EditEdit DeleteDelete

The issue was not resolved by the account owner.

Obviosly the server can not sit and spit out thousands of emails every hour for a week without it being blocked by other servers. As no action was taken to resolve the issue by the account owner, we must take action.

Regards,

Admin

2 Nov 28, 2007 08:10

John,

This is completely off topic to your b2evolution question but I wanted to wish you the very best of luck with your continued recovery from surgery. God's speed :)

3 Nov 28, 2007 08:57

John,

Please forgive me, but I simply cannot resist ... "Was it 'major hart' surgery?" :p

(sorry) I really DO hope you're much improved.

With regards to your b2evo question

There were multiple occurences of thousands of spam messages sent from the account

rings a bell.

1) Do you track your unadressed email? (e.g. blah@yoursite.com) You might want to DO this (most webhosts allow you to set up rules for all the mail that goes to bogus email accounts at your domainName.com. It's important to track that activitiy, because it's quite possible that spammers hijack your domainName and send out their SPAM, making it appear that it's from YOUR site.

2) IF this is happening to you (it happened to us), have a look at [url=http://randsco.com/index.php/2007/02/07/writing_an_spf_record]SPF records[/url] as a solution. It's semi-easy to implement and really nips the spammers in the bud.

Hope this helps!

4 Nov 28, 2007 16:23

whoo wrote:

John,

This is completely off topic to your b2evolution question but I wanted to wish you the very best of luck with your continued recovery from surgery. God's speed :)

;)

Thanks much I appreciate it. I'll be brief here but I've lifted weights and run for more than 55 years - I just wore the valve out - everything else was okay - and now they tell me to run some more. :(

Got 1/2 mile last night on the treadmill - a slow 1.4 rate.

Thanks again

5 Nov 28, 2007 16:31

stk wrote:

John,

Please forgive me, but I simply cannot resist ... "Was it 'major hart' surgery?" :p

(sorry) I really DO hope you're much improved.

With regards to your b2evo question

There were multiple occurences of thousands of spam messages sent from the account

rings a bell.

1) Do you track your unadressed email? (e.g. blah@yoursite.com) You might want to DO this (most webhosts allow you to set up rules for all the mail that goes to bogus email accounts at your domainName.com. It's important to track that activitiy, because it's quite possible that spammers hijack your domainName and send out their SPAM, making it appear that it's from YOUR site.

2) IF this is happening to you (it happened to us), have a look at [url=http://randsco.com/index.php/2007/02/07/writing_an_spf_record]SPF records[/url] as a solution. It's semi-easy to implement and really nips the spammers in the bud.

Hope this helps!

YEP! <G>

I don't know anything about the hijacking - or tracking unaddressed emails - didn't know it was possible - I'll look into it. A ;) number of my sites were hacked too - I wonder if changing the index.html to 755 would prevent that. Thanks again. By the way if anyone ever needs to know about heart valves - read http://valvereplacement.com/ If you live right - you'll probably have to and if you live wrong - you will. It helps to know that for 69 year old normal people the success ratio is 95%.

6 Nov 28, 2007 18:27

My mom was one of the 5%. :(

7 Nov 28, 2007 21:51

whoo wrote:

My mom was one of the 5%. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that. Was it a new procedure then?

My wife couldn't find information on me for 8 hours and was very worried.

8 Nov 29, 2007 05:53

Long story -- 2nd open heart surgery, this was for aortic stenosis that was standing in the way of a wanted hip surgery -- there were complications, post-op, that ended in a pulmonary embolism. :(

Cant help but wish for a do-over, ya know.

PS: Today is the first day in 17 that I have not cried.

Form is loading...