Recent Topics

1 Dec 03, 2007 01:30    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.3
Hello, Please excuse this question if it has been dealt with 1000 times before...

I am trying to free up space in my side bar on my main blog: www.thechumslick.com.

What I want to do is move the calender and categories list to a separate blog I will link to as a simple archive. I have already set up the link on my main blog toward the top as you can see.

But, if I set up a new blog it seems that the calender and categories only show up for the new blog. I want this stuff to show up on the new blog but in reference to posts on the original blog.

Does this make sense?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

2 Dec 03, 2007 15:32

Yeah no problem, but I gotta see pics of sharks eating republicans first!

Okay so what you want is the calendar that I see on your main page showing up on a different page. On the page you called "archives". Archives is really a different blog though. I'm on it so far?

Do you use stub files? I think you are ... no wait: maybe you're not using stub files. You have ......com/index.php/word so I'm pretty sure that's not stub file stuff. It probably doesn't matter.

I've never done this hack before. I don't think I have a 1.10.3 to play with either. This is gonna be FUN!

Oh you also want the categories from the main page showing up on the archives page. Right?

Let me get a good understanding of what you want and how your blogs are organized, and tinker with a 1103 installation, and I'm sure you can get what you want.

What will you use for the sidebar on the "archive" page? Do you really care if "archives" is a different blog? What if it was just a page that happened to be linked like a blog and worked like an archive of the main page blog?

Yeah. I like your blog so I'll hack it up. I play in 210/220 now, but it'll be fun to hack up a new way to pull archives.

3 Dec 03, 2007 23:37

Thanks a lot EdB!!!

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with what I want to do.

Come to think of it. It doesn't matter if the Archive page is a separate blog or just a page. I am just trying to clear up space on www.thechumslick.com main blog sidebar but I like the calender and its archive features. I also want a place to put a list of categories--i'm planning on making them better. I figure that the calender archive search thingee and the categories could all go on the same page.

One more thing. I was planning on updating to 2.? after it became rock solid and the skins were all set up. Should I wait until then to make this new page/archive blog?

4 Dec 04, 2007 17:58

It's either a short reply or none at all given that I'm totally wiped out and gotta do the work thing again once or twice this week, so let's try short.

I'm thinking you should you a "pages" hack to add a page that looks like the archives you want. It'll be attached to the blog you attach it to, so it'll know what's the deal with your calendar and cats. hooray! Also pages are a real feature in 2.* so it'll hopefully blend in when you do choose to upgrade. We can then hack the "pages hack" into your bloglist and enjoy your current look, or we hack it into the sidebar where it'll blend in better with the 2.* future.

Wow I'm wiped out. I hope I get real sleep today. Insomnia hurts after the fact ya know?

So yeah this'll be easy.

So lemme ask you: if I can give you an "archives" link on your current blog that lead to a page that showed the cats and calendar, WHAT ELSE WOULD IT SHOW? Knowing what you know about what you can do with b2evo, and embracing the idea that the future is always different, what would your archives page include?

A big-ass calendar in the main section?
A bunch of text explaining how to click a link in the calendar in the sidebar?
Only a main section? If so how would you want it to be structured?
A randomly selected extremely graphic image of a republican being eaten by very hungry sharks in the main section with a standard sidebar for balance?

BTW I should make very clear that I don't want money and insist that any and all creative works on my part are released into the public domain and free of any license or expectations. Even though it'd be stuff built for your blog.

So if that's a fair deal then think on what your archives page would be and how you balance "blending in with what I have" and "the future involves upgrading my blog engine".

oh yeah this is gonna be fun :D

5 Dec 05, 2007 02:27

You are awesome EdB.

E-mail sent.

Form is loading...