Recent Topics

1 Dec 06, 2007 07:28    

My b2evolution Version: 2.20.x

I am new to blogging and am just beginning to learn my way around with PHP. I recently dowloaded b2evolution 2.20 Vegas again, and got it running just fine and linked to it from my home page . The home link on the blog points to the blog page. Where would I go to edit that link so that it would point to my website homepage, and also add other links external to the blog?

Thanks

2 Dec 06, 2007 08:31

Multipart question - cool!

To have your blog (assuming it is in a folder, like domain.com/blogs) point to a level above it is not impossible. First understand that b2evolution deals with itself very nicely, which is why it is very comfortable pointing to blogs that are part of the installation. Pointing to a level above itself is not currently something it knows how to do, but you can trick it.

Oh and you are using a beta product. PLEASE, no matter what, always upgrade your beta even if the next release sounds scary.

Anyway something I would consider and try, and I am new to 2.2.0 - like everyone else - is a "Free HTML" widget that I locate either above or below the bloglist widget. I might also consider and try creating a "blog" with a specified URL that happens to be one level up and include it in the public blog list so that people had a path up.

If I was using a beta version of an open source multi-lingual multi-user multi-blog application I would also post about which method I found good and bad, and why. So others could also benefit. And so maybe the developers would be moved to add a new feature. But hey that's just what I would do if I was using a beta version of an open source multi-lingual multi-user multi-blog application :)

3 Dec 06, 2007 14:43

EdB wrote:

Multipart question - cool!

To have your blog (assuming it is in a folder, like domain.com/blogs) point to a level above it is not impossible. First understand that b2evolution deals with itself very nicely, which is why it is very comfortable pointing to blogs that are part of the installation. Pointing to a level above itself is not currently something it knows how to do, but you can trick it.

Oh and you are using a beta product. PLEASE, no matter what, always upgrade your beta even if the next release sounds scary.

Anyway something I would consider and try, and I am new to 2.2.0 - like everyone else - is a "Free HTML" widget that I locate either above or below the bloglist widget. I might also consider and try creating a "blog" with a specified URL that happens to be one level up and include it in the public blog list so that people had a path up.

If I was using a beta version of an open source multi-lingual multi-user multi-blog application I would also post about which method I found good and bad, and why. So others could also benefit. And so maybe the developers would be moved to add a new feature. But hey that's just what I would do if I was using a beta version of an open source multi-lingual multi-user multi-blog application :)

Maybe I should rephrase the questions into one, because it really is one question. Where would I go to add a link other than in a post, to the other pages on my website? FYI my blog is in a folder like domain.com/blogs. I am not sure what you mean by locating a widget above or below the bloglist widget. I will have to look up what a widget is.

4 Dec 06, 2007 15:29

cozybe wrote:

My b2evolution Version: 2.20.x

... Where would I go to edit that link so that it would point to my website homepage, and also add other links external to the blog?

Thanks

The "and" makes it two parts eh?

You can add links in your sidebar in at least 3 different methods.
1. Add a new blog and include it in your public blog list. If you choose this method to add a link to the top level of your domain it will include the link in the "bloglist" section of your sidebar or header. Depending on where your bloglist is.
2. Add a Free HTML widget. On each "blog settings" tab there is a sub-tab for "widgets". Each section of your blog (or container) has the option to add a widget. One of the widgets you can add is a Free HTML widget. You can then position the widget, and edit it to contain whatever HTML code you want.
3. You can add a link to your top level domain to your linkblog. This is not a very good solution to your specific issue because it would be mixed in with all other linkblog posts. I assume that to you a link to your own top level domain would be a bit more 'important' than links to web sites you happen to like, so I left it out of my initial reply.

Which means I didn't answer the AND part!!! Yeah you can simply post external links in whatever blog you designate as the linkblog and, assuming your blog settings have identified a linkblog, it will show up in the sidebar.

Yeah check out the widgets. It is brand new stuff in the 2.* generation.

5 Dec 08, 2007 17:41

Thanks for the help and please bear with me as I try to understand.
1. Are you telling me there is no file that can be edited to add links at the top of the page just above the posts?
2. Are you telling me there is a widget called Free HTML, that will add links or edit them?

Thanks for taking the time to respond

6 Dec 09, 2007 04:50

Well you could edit files directly, but with containers driving where widgets go it's not as easy as it used to be.

A container is, basically, a big piece of the overall blog. For the top portion (what we normally would think of as the "page header" - visible stuff above the posts/sidebar) you have 3 containers: page top, header, and menu. Each of those containers puts the widgets you select (in your back office under your "Blog settings" tab) in the proper place within that container.

A widget is a detailed little bit that goes in one of the containers. For example you might have your bloglist in the 'page top' container, or maybe later on in the 'sidebar' container. Your 'header' container will probably contain a 'blog title' widget, and frequently a 'tagline' widget.

Hope that makes sense...

Anyway yeah there is a widget called "Free HTML" that you can add to any container. I haven't played with this that much yet, but if you add it to, for example, your 'menu' container then it will show up at the bottom of the big blue header in the evopress skin. In the back office (Blog settings->select a blog->widgets) is where you would get to add the html code you want to add.

Hope it helps!

7 Dec 09, 2007 18:03

Thanks EdB I will give it a try and let you know

8 Dec 10, 2007 02:32

OK I give up...LOL! I go to b2evolution plugins download page and only 1 widget shows up called Sidebar Comments. Could you point me in the right direction to get the Free HTML Widget?

9 Dec 10, 2007 02:36

The free HTML widget ships with the core ;)
meander over to your dashboard > manage widgets > add new widget > free HTML widget .... ish ;)

¥

10 Dec 10, 2007 04:41

Thank you ¥åßßå, I found it!
Now to figger this out.

Form is loading...