Recent Topics

1 Dec 19, 2007 23:01    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

b2ev version 1.10

I've been trying to get my blog to always start on the same post unless you came to the site requesting a specific post. In other words, when there are no parameters given to the blog, it should always start by calling a particular post or category.

I am calling my blog using a stub file, but I can't get this to work. I've tried by setting the $cat variable to the category I desire, but then it doesn't allow any other category to be selected.

site: www.dizzysoft.com
desired starting category: 16

I am currently getting around this by setting the date for the post to be earlier than any other post and sorting the blog in ascending order. Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks.

2 Dec 20, 2007 14:44

One thing you could consider is to pick a blog - lets say blog #2 - and make it the "default blog" then make only one post in that blog. The drawback here is that you would never have multiple posts on that page.

Another method, and it's a bit crazy, is to make the important post be extremely OLD so that it is the bottom of the stack. THEN edit your skin and paste in the content of that post above the posts loop in the blog you've elected to have as the main page blog. The code would look something like this:

<?php if( $blog == NN ) { // NN is your default blog number
if( $disp == 'posts' ) {
*this is where you paste in the 'view source' html code that you get from that special post beginning with <div class="bPost"> and ending with </div> *
}
} ?>

I *think* it will work, but it might put the same post on top of the multi-post page the visitor sees when they visit the next multi-post page in your blog. Unfortunately I don't know what parameter to check to see if you are on page 1 or 2 on a blog.

It's worth a shot eh?

Otherwise your current method works, except that new stuff doesn't rise to the top (or near the top) where visitors would normally expect it.

Oh wait. I think there is a "sticky post" plugin that can help. There was also a "sticky post" hack that used to work. The plugin would be the better option even though I wrote the hack. Plugins are better than hacks, ya know?

3 Dec 20, 2007 15:46

Thanks.

What I don't like about the earlier date option (that I am currently using) is that other posts are also displayed. For example, on my dizzysoft.com site, I want you to see the "programming philosophy" as you arrive, but not see the next oldest post (the abacus program).

Right now it works because the philosophy is "above the fold" but search engines looking for the abacus program are indexing the first page rather than the abacus category of posts.

I'll look into the sticky post option, otherwise its just a neat-freak thing.

Thanks.

Form is loading...