Recent Topics

1 Jan 12, 2008 21:35    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

For once I thought I'd report a solution rather than a problem. I learnt a bit doing this and thought I'd share it here where I normally get my b2evo answers.

I was importing my old 1.8.x blog into a new 2.x version but this could apply to any import. The process can't be done entirely within B2evo (yet) as the actual database bit must be done by using phpmyadmin or some equivalent. Some other support info on that bit elsewhere in the docs.

My old MySQL dump came to about 30Mb unzipped (it's a big old blog), so needless to say it was too big to import directly using phpmyadmin which on my system has a 2Mb limit. I tried all sorts of things and had little success, not helped by MySQL not being very forthcoming with its error messages on import failure. Even if you think you've imported your file, basically if it's more than your system limit then you have failed whatever the error messages or lack of them.

Problem solved when I found the utility [url=http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php]BigDump[/url]. Full instructions for use on the page but basically if you have FTP access to your blog directory and can reset file permissions you can import any size file into your new database.

Tip - export all the tables in the old database without exception, even the hitlogs and antispam. If you miss out any tables B2evo will not be able to upgrade properly. If you are competent with MySQL/phpmyadmin clean those two (but no others) out first (with EMPTY not DROP) if you want, as they can take up a lot of space. You can include a 'drop table' command in your file when you generate it. This wipes out anything old in the existing database so use with care.

I made my massive sql file into a slightly smaller (7Mb) GZip file using 7-zip, and uploaded the dump and a configured BigDump file to a working directory on my new blog's server with FTP.

Then I ran BigDump via the browser. It imported the dump successfully - and told me so.

I uploaded a full fresh b2evo installation and deleted the BigDump and working directory I'd made for this (important for security).

I ran the new b2evo installer, pointed it at the new database I'd just imported, and got it to 'upgrade' rather than make a new installation.

Job done. All works perfectly under the new 2.x and on new server. :)

Now to work on the skins :(

Form is loading...