Recent Topics

1 Jan 19, 2008 20:00    

Hey Guys, ok umm...

New to using skins. Found a skin I want to use. London. Downloaded and extracted files, uploaded to skins folder through filezilla. It shows up as available skin and looks great in preview of skin. Selected it. When I exit to blogs the pages shows up as blank with a left sidebar that states:

Warning: main(/home/serendi3/public_html/blogs/skins/_bloglist.php) [function.main]: 
failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/serendi3/public_html/blogs/skins/london/_bloglist.php on line 50

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/serendi3/public_html/blogs/skins/_bloglist.php'
 (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/serendi3/public_html/blogs/skins/london/_bloglist.php on line 50

Check it out here:
http://serendipitywaits.com/blogs/index.php?blog=4

*edit*
phpBB tags

2 Jan 19, 2008 20:13

That skin uses a dynamic text replacement trick that maybe your server can't support? It also builds the sidebar before it builds the main body - unlike most skins - so that the main stuff will wrap under the sidebar.

Try randomly picking another skin (except basin) and see if it works for you.

Okay also make sure in your skins/ folder you have a file named "_bloglist.php" because it seems to be freaking out on that detail.

Plus another skin will help us know if it's something about your installation/server or just that skin. And basin does the text replacement thing too, so perhaps that would be a good test for that little detail?

3 Jan 19, 2008 20:21

Ok, skins/folder DOES have a file named "_bloglist.php" in each individual skin folder but not one in the main folder. Not sure what you were asking. So not sure about that. I also tried using a new skin and got the same result so I'm stumped.

My process of installing new skins could be wrong considering I am learning as I go. Let me go over exactly what I do when I'm in filezilla because frankly I think that is where my problem is.

public_html to blogs to skins and then I create a new directory in the name of the new skin, open that and transfer files in there. Is that correct?

4 Jan 19, 2008 20:25

All of the errors keep talking about line 47 ... ???

5 Jan 19, 2008 20:40

Generally speaking that's correct. What I do with Filezilla is have my server on the right and my computer on the left. I set them both to the "blogs" folder, but technically for my server that's 'root' and for my computer it's ... a long path to my webs folders.

I start by unzipping the new skin and putting it in the correct path on my computer. I then open the skins folder on both sides. There I see a list of both files and folders, so I right-click the new skin folder and select "upload". Little easier that way yah?

So now we have the problem where you do not have skins/_bloglist.php file. You have skins/skinname/_bloglist.php, and you probably got that file in each skins/skinname/ folder you have. Problem is that's not enough: most of the time the skin-specific version just sets up a few parameters then calls the main file (in "skins").

SO. See if the copy of skins/ on your computer has the _bloglist.php file. If so upload it. If not get another copy of your version from the downloads tab, unzip it, and find the skins folder. Make sure ALL the files in there get put in the same path on your server.

It should look like this:

SKINS (folder)
- CUSTOM (folder - a skin)
- LONDON (folder - a skin)
- CRAYONS (folder - a skin I made up just now)
- _arcdir.php
- _archives.php
- _bloglist.php
- ..... (9 other files)
- _subscriptions.php
- license.txt

Inside each skin folder you'll have another bunch of files, but if all goes well you won't have to worry about them.

6 Jan 19, 2008 20:46

Check if you have a file called _bloglink.php in /blogs/skins/ folder. If not, pick up an original copy from a 1.10 distribution, in other words, download 1.10, grab the file and put it in /blogs/skins/

Good luck

7 Jan 19, 2008 20:48

At least our answers are identical. I' ve seen different ;)

8 Jan 19, 2008 20:50

It's like they say: there's more than one way to skin a blog :roll:

9 Jan 20, 2008 05:01

Thanks guys, that fixed it! :)

Form is loading...