Recent Topics

1 Jan 23, 2008 19:51    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I am setting up this new blog and am not sure how to make the following changes to (Andreas_01) skin:

1. How can I stretch out the header? I want it to be on two lines? Reading "Faux and Decorative Painting" on one line and the rest on the second line?

2. How can I remove the names from the Linkblog (on the left) but keep 'b2evolution'?

I am working on a new image.

The site is: http://www.faux.homedesignsense.com/blog

Thanks for the help.

2 Jan 25, 2008 03:03

Johnj,

1. I only see "Faux & Decorative" on the title? (Missing the "Painting" bit + "the rest") ... can't help you there.

2. I don't see a linkblog on the left? ( Is that your "other left"? :p ) Don't see any names there BUT b2evo and (some decorative stuff), so I assume you sorted this.

3 Jan 25, 2008 14:21

I just did it last night. Bu I am surprised you only see part of the header copy. It reads Faux and Decorative Painting by Home Design Sense. I am wondering if others only see part of it? What browser are you using?

4 Jan 25, 2008 16:24

Opera, FireFox and Netscape all show the full text.

IE7 (what I must have been using yesterday, when visiting your site) shows only the first line.

IE6 doesn't connect to the site at all.

Hope this helps.

FWIW ... our visitor break-down for this month (january) is:

Jan1 - Jan 24
70,178 Unique visitors

IE - 67% (58% IE7 and 42% IE6)
FFox - 23%
Safari - 6%
Opera - 1%
Netscape - 0.5%
Camino - 0%
Konqueror - 0%

5 Jan 25, 2008 16:51

Any thoughts or ideas as to why it doesn't show or connect in IE6?

6 Jan 25, 2008 17:06

Not off the top of my head. (I thought it was my computer, actually ... but verified I could connect with IE6 to other sites).

A "Red X" alert window pops up and says:

IE cannot open the Interenet site http://www.faux.homedesignsense.com/blog
Operation Aborted

When you click "okay" ... you get a "page cannot be displayed" page.

At the bottom, says - "Cannot find server or DNS Error"

Seems like a non-b2evo problem. (To confirm, you could make a basic HTML page and see if you can see THAT with IE6)

Maybe your host can help?

8 Jan 25, 2008 17:28

@ stk: try with lower or no security in IE
@ johnj: There is a script error and it looks to me it's in the Adsense block in the first post. Unfortunately I do not know what exactly is wrong with it, it looks OK. To debug, take the code out of the post. If the post now displays correct in IE we know the source of the troubles.

On a first glance I'd say it cannot find the .js file on the Google page:

<!-- Paste from here... -->
<script type="text/javascript"><!-- 
google_ad_client = "pub-2426541394349327"; 
google_alternate_color = "ffffff"; 
google_ad_width = 268; 
google_ad_height = 60; 
google_ad_format = "268x60_as"; 
google_ad_channel =""; 
google_ad_type = "text_image"; 
google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; 
google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; 
google_color_link = "0000FF"; 
google_color_url = "666666"; 
google_color_text = "333333"; 
//--></script> 
<script type="text/javascript" 
  src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> 
    </script> 

<!-- ...to here -->

Good luck

9 Jan 25, 2008 17:37

Some investigation reveals that the Gallery plugin may be the cause of the troubles. So disable the plugin and try ro view the page. If it *is* the Gallery plugin, the best way to get assistance is in the Gallery topic in the Plugin section of this forum.

Good luck

10 Jan 25, 2008 17:47

Regarding your title bit ... it looks like a case of suffering from too much XHTML and CSS.

Right now, I see in view source:

<div id="header">
<h1><a href="http://faux.homedesignsense.com/blog/index.php?blog=2">Faux &amp; Decorative Painting  by Home Design Sense</a></h1>

<p><strong></strong></p>
</div>

The paragraph is superfluous. I'm assuming that you're controling the title with the Blog Title or something in the back office. See if you can add a <br /> to it, which would be the easiest way to force a break in the title (rather than doing it with width in the CSS ... which will break when visitors increase/decrease the font size and also breaks (in IE) b/c (a) the font is already too big and the return is hidden under the images)

I'd try to shoot for something like:

<div id="header">
<h1><a href="http://faux.homedesignsense.com/blog/index.php?blog=2">Faux &amp; Decorative Painting <br />by Home Design Sense</a></h1>
</div>

There's a lot of superflous CSS as well, in "stylesheet.css"

I don't see why the header DIV needs a "clear:both", so I'd try removing that.

The current CSS limits the header height to 45px, which is probably the bit that's killing IE, at the moment.

I'd try:

#header {
 margin: 20px 0 0 0;
 padding: 0;
}

As you're not using a "#header p" at all, you can kill all the CSS associated with it. Remove the following:

#header p {
width: 500px;
float: right;
text-align: center;
color: #a0a0a0;
margin: 0 0 10px 0;
font-size: 0.8em;
line-height: 1.2em;
}

The selector that's doing the lion's share of the work for you is the "#header h1" stuff. It's currently set for 400px width and a float:left, which is the bit that'll cause problems with IE and when people change the font size. Also, the font stuff appears to be coming from browser defaults, as that selector doesn't specify font. This is a bad idea because different browsers all have their own interpretation of how "h1" should look.

The color is coming from the basic link styling "a" selector, down the page (so the header text acts like any link on the page).

While underlines work for basic links (to me) it looks a tad goofy when the title tosses up a big fat underline (might be tempted to change the color on hover, and not the underline).

In any case, I'd specify a font (and a PT size, so that IE users ... if they change font size ... the title will remain the same size ... AND ... PT translates across browsers better, providing a more consistent look)

Assuming you CAN put a <br /> in your title and it will come across as a "break" tag in the XHTML, I'd be tempted to use something like:

#header h1 {
margin:0;
padding:0;
font:bold 18pt Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;
}

#header h1 a {
text-decoration:none;
}
#header h1 a:hover, 
#header h1 a:visited:hover {
color:#f00; <-- color of your choice
background-color:#fff;
}

If I couldn't get the <br /> in there, I'd try to trim the h1 title to "Faux & Decorative Painting", then try to get the "by Home Design Sense" into the paragraph that isn't being used and then style h1/p to be what I wanted.

Hope this helps.

11 Jan 25, 2008 17:54

@ afwas ... browse with "no security" using IE? 8| :-/ :lol:

AND

:lol: @ gallery plugin :p

12 Jan 25, 2008 17:58

stk wrote:

@ afwas ... browse with "no security" using IE? 8| :-/ :lol:

AND

:lol: @ gallery plugin :p

Yes, sure, in your virtual box on your Linux machine :lalala:

13 Jan 25, 2008 18:32

LOL @ yer dangerous IE security strategy. ;)

( If only I had more time to play :( ... then I too, might have a virtual sandbox to -appropriately- stuff IE into, so that it couldn't hurt my vastly superior operating system. ) :(

Form is loading...