Recent Topics

1 Feb 19, 2008 15:11    

My b2evolution Version: 2.2.1

Hi,

I wrote a draft for a post yesterday, and it was time sensitve (meaning, i prepared it in advance, but was not going to publish it until a specific time, since i had to coordinate with someone else's announcement), so i put it live about 2 hours ago. Then i search on Google Blog Search, and find that my post has been indexed 15 hours ago, around the time I wrote it last night.

How can i avoid this, is there an option i should be checking somewhere? Or should i be using the "protected" status instead? But then, when i unprotect, will search engines pick my post up?

Thanks!!
-n

2 Feb 19, 2008 17:03

A draft post should never be seen by a search spider. Are you absolutely sure that you never had it published ( even for a moment ) during the 15 hours ( possibly when you first saved it? )

¥

3 Feb 19, 2008 17:08

Totally legit question, but i promise no, absolutely not.

This is a very very touchy announcement, and we would ONLY give our opinion on the announcement after the main/big company had made their official post about it.

We knew this was such a big deal, which is why we went ahead and prepared the post ahead of time. For sure, as soon as I wrote it the first time, before even typing the content, i went and selected DRAFT from the radio buttons on the right. Then i wrote the content, and then, i hit SAVE.

I never even went back to edit anything, so i know that nothing changed, and no one else can go into the back office of this blog, so i know it's not that either.

Thoughts? HELP!

4 Feb 19, 2008 17:17

Ok, my thought is "how *&^&*^ weird!" .... but that's not constructive and doesn't help :p

Seeing as your so positive that it never spent a moment of it's life as published I guess we need to try and figure out how this could happen.

First I suppose we should get rid of the ridiculous and ask if you happen to be 15 hours ahead of the googy blog search in which case googy might have been saying "just now"

Other things, try making another post as draft and seeing if that appears in the blog search,.

It may be worth checking your rss feeds and seeing if they contain draft posts, you'll need to logout when you check or you're just gonna come back and say "OMG THEY DO!!!!!" ;)

If the answer is "none of the above" then feel free to link to the blog where you're having the problem ;)

¥

5 Feb 19, 2008 17:27

hehehe, funny, but yes, definitely, we need to consider all options.

If 15 hours ago was "just now", that would mean that the "Google Blog Search offices" are sitting in Australia somewhere (seeing that i'm in Canada, the only people that 15hours ago, were already feb19 at 9am, are the australians). If there's a remote chance that Google has moved their HQ to Australia, then, well, waow, wouldn't that be HUGE news? ;-)

All jokes aside though, i'm not sure how else to check. The official announcement by the BIG company, was made this morning, and on the Blog Seach thingy, it says that their announcement is 2 hours old. Mine, is 15 hours old. So, time zones or no time zones, mine was posted 13 hours before theirs :)

Other thing is, my RSS feed shows that my post was published yesterday as well, i just checked it (hadn't checked my own rss feeds this morning), i use Sharp Reader as an RSS reader, and so far, it's been very accurate, i've been using it for over a year.

I guess all that's left now is to make another draft post and go from there... Unless anyone else has something to share...

Thanks,
-n

6 Feb 19, 2008 17:34

Ahhhhh, just before you do, edit the post and check the date/time at the bottom of the textarea ;)

¥

7 Feb 19, 2008 17:36

In your draft post use words that don't exist - kinda like the new spam-thing going around. Like Babagorachikcalamabama as a user-name and content of a comment without a link (for the spammers). Do something similar in your draft and for sure there will be no way any other post anywhere in the world will be even close to your draft.

3 fake words as the title and the blog post would be enough yah?

8 Feb 19, 2008 17:40

There's already a field that tells me what the date and time is, it's automatically generated and clearly says "02/19/08 11.36am".

ok, anyway, posted with EdB's fabulous fake word...

...I'm assuming i have to give it some time now...

9 Feb 19, 2008 17:43

can you point me to your blog?

¥

*edit*
Ohh and a link to the googy blog search page where you're seeing the post would also be cool ;)

12 Feb 19, 2008 17:52

Assuming you mean your latest post I see this on your homepage

02/18/08
Adobe Rolls Out Director 11
05:24:13 pm, by Andrea Simmons

¥

14 Feb 19, 2008 17:58

Posted yesterday @ 5:24pm which is approximately 18 hours ...... just like google is showing.

Crack open PhpMyAdmin or your mysql toy of preference and meander into evo_items__item and check the dates for that post ... you should also be able to tweak them to show the time you wish the post to show whilst you're there

Another question, when you published the post, did you edit > change status > save or did you just hit the "publish now" button?

and ..... I'm a mine of useless questions ;) .... if you did hit "publish now", were you in admin or on the blog pages?

¥

15 Feb 19, 2008 18:11

UM, actually, that's not how it works for my blog (maybe old version?) 2.2.1?

There's a set of radio buttons on the right, by default set as "published", i selected "draft" instead, and then, i wrote my content, then i hit SAVE.

see screenshot here:
http://www.INM.com/screenshot1.jpg

16 Feb 19, 2008 18:14

You missed my question, when you changed the post from draft to published ( at 9am today ), did you do that by editing the post and changing that radio to published and hitting save ?

Any chance of a screenshot of the post edit screen for the post in question ?

¥

17 Feb 19, 2008 18:29

OMG! you're such a star, you just gave me the answer... not sure if that's what you were driving to yourself, but here's the answer.

So, at 5pm yesterday, i write a draft, right? and i save it as a draft, and the time stamp is 5pm Feb18.

So then, when i go back in and want to change it from draft to published, all i did was change the radio button, but the thing is, the time stamp remained the same... so then, it looked like it was published at 5pm Feb18, when in fact, that's only when it was WRITTEN!

Could that me my problem? And if so.. um... is that weird, should there somehow be a question asked like "do u want to change timestamp?", or am i just asking too much now?
-n

18 Feb 19, 2008 19:04

INM wrote:

OMG! you're such a star

Your perception is only surpassed by your happiness at having found the culprit ;)

but, if you'd wandered into admin > post/comment list and hit the publish button then the date/time should have been automagically updated to "now" .... an alternative is to set the date/time to the date/time you want a post to actually be "published" when you're writing it ( really can't ermember if it'll ping though ), leave the radio at published, and it'll appear on your blog at exactly the right time .... unless googy moves to aus in which case we'll all panic again ;)

¥

19 Feb 19, 2008 20:14

Good catch Yabba!

Yeah the trick to getting the current date and time for a draft you want published is the "publish now" feature. BTW that will also change the date and time on a deprecated or private or protected post, which is worth knowing if you want to make a post published without changing the date stamp.

UPDATE TIME AND DATE = Use "Publish NOW".

KEEP OLD TIME AND DATE = Edit the post and use the radio button.

20 Feb 19, 2008 20:22

You guys are awesome... seriously, i posted a problem this morning, and it's been constant communication and resolved like 4 hours later!

thanks y'all!! :) i is happy customer.

21 Feb 20, 2008 00:13

Imagine how you'd feel if we'd started replying 2 hours earlier ;)

An alternative view is, you posted at 16:11 my time and had your answer before your lunch ...... and they said the 60's were trippy :roll:

¥

22 Feb 20, 2008 15:08

hahaha, you're funny... i should have starting lurking around ages ago!

Form is loading...