Recent Topics

1 Feb 20, 2008 21:25    

First - Excellent software! I enjoy the customization that is available which might be why I am posting the issue below. I am new to all of this and so what I am encountering is probably due to operator error.

What I would like to be able to do:

Blog B has 2 categories. 'Cars' and 'Trucks'. Category 'Cars' has two subcategories: 'Coupe' and 'Sedan'. I would like a post to 'Coupe' to only appear when the subcategory 'Coupe' is selected.

What I am getting:

A post to 'Coupe' appeas in 'Coupe' and 'Cars'.

When writing a new post I select 'Coupe' as the Main Category and deselect 'Extra' from every other box. When I publish and go back to Edit, it shows the main category to be 'Coupe' (the Extra box next to 'Coupe' is also selected) but the Post appears both in 'Coupe' and in 'Cars'.

Searching the forums for a similar question I tried to change the _admin.php file to '0' to force posts to one category but the posts still publish as described above.

Any ideas?

2 Feb 20, 2008 23:37

Hi indy,

Welcome to the forums.
I checked the [url=http://www.demo.b2evolution.net]Demo[/url] and the problem you describe occurs there also. Whatever i try the post appears in the root category.
I have not encountered this question before. I really have no clue if there is a possibility to change this behaviour. I doubt there is a setting.

Good luck

3 Feb 20, 2008 23:55

Yeah this is one of those "by design" things that AFAIK no one has ever hacked up. Basically the term "sub category" really implies it is a part of a bigger group, so with that analogy it makes sense that to be part of the sub-group something must also be part of the larger group.

One thing you can do, and I'm not sure if this is the primary objective or not, but you can tell your skin to list only the primary category (or only extra categories) for each post. I'm pretty sure in this case even though "coupes" is a sub-cat of "cars" in the structure it would be the "main" category when displaying the post on your blog.

It's been a while since I played with 1.10.3 so I don't have code handy, but if you're into this angle I'll dig something up for ya.

4 Feb 21, 2008 21:54

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I'll look at it from another angle to see if there is a different way to address this.

Thanks again.

Form is loading...