Recent Topics

1 Mar 12, 2008 19:22    

[I'm using b2evo v 2.4.0-rc2]

Instead of modifying the index.main.php file of a blog, is there a plugin already that will list text and links in the sidebar w/headers?

For example on my blogs, I usually display 3 custom things in the sidebar:

List of Links to other sites w/a Links header
A Playlist w/Playlist header
Site Purpose information w/Site Purpose header.

Now usually I just put them on the index.main.php of my skin, but making these plugins would easily add them to any skins I use in the future. Is there something like this already?

2 Mar 12, 2008 19:40

Evo core is so cool it'd make the antartic look like it's blushing ;)

Wander over to admin > blog settings ... hit "show me all blogs" and you'll get a "create a blog" option .... hopefully

create a blog for each of your groups of links, call it summat cool, we like cool ;)

then, once you've gone through a few thousand screens .... meander over to admin > blog settings > [blog that you want all this to appear in the side bar off] > widgets ..... wander down to the relevant sidebar container and click "add a widget" in a really happy way

choose the linkblog widget and then, this is where magical elves come into things, cos they created all this ... they're so cool .... anyway, in the box labled "Linkblog" type the number of whichever blog you want into it ( hover over the blog names in the menu above to see blog=## ;) ) ... and in the "block title" slap in the name you want ....

press save .... pray to the magical elves ( it's important, your blog will self erase if you forget to pray to them ) ..... then visit your blog and utter the immortal words "bugger me, that was easy" ;)

¥

3 Mar 12, 2008 20:22

Yabba, I've said it before and I'll say it again - you're a genius.

Still I need some help (must be too much magic)

I can see how this displays text and headers, but how do I get it to display:

1. Links (html links) - I tried in a post to put the links I want but no post contents showed. Just the post titles.

2. Under the header linkblog:

I don't want it to print Linkblog, I either want it to print a different title or no title.

3. It also prints categories and I don't want it to do that.

More magic please :)

www.navarinounincorporated.com

4 Mar 12, 2008 20:34

Gotta love the internet, it's full of deluded people :D of course I'm a genius ... occasionally .... I'm an optimist ;)

Ok,
1) when you post in your linkblog, the post title is what shows up in your sidebar and ( hopefully ) that title is linked to the url that you cunningly slapped into "link to url" box ... if not then I'm gonna have to sack a few evles :(

2) The heading bit should have been one of the settings I mentioned earlier ( block title ) ..... not that I've tested it works of course, I'm to busy consoling the elves ;)

3) I have to admit, you've just banished the poor elves into a winterland of despair .... I'm pretty sure there isn't a setting for "suppress categories" ..... bugger, gonna have to find me some new elves, these ones are beyond repair

¥

5 Mar 13, 2008 00:24

Hmm... ok let's do this one over. While your elves and magic are formidable, what's say all we do is the simple stuff:

How can one create a plugin that all it does is display either links or text with a header. Then the plugin itself can be used many times, easy peasy to all. In other words, a plugin that just displays a header, then prints the text or links which will be in the plugin itself.

Hmmm. Takers?

6 Mar 13, 2008 00:39

Couldn't you put your links list in a FREE HTML widget which you can place anywhere on your page that you want? That way you can 'header' it whatever you want and you can display hyperlinks however you want them to appear in the sidebar.

Someone tell me if i totally misunderstood the freehtml widget as i have never used it.

7 Mar 13, 2008 00:44

The linkblog widget makes it a lot easier to list links because all you have to do is post stuff and it'll show up alphabetized (I think) and sorted by categories. After about 10 or so links the free HTML widget would be quite the chore to manage.

8 Mar 13, 2008 00:48

I will try the free html widget and see. If it works the way I want, I can't imagine not being able to use it to display text too.

@brandonh - thank you this does exactly what I wanted. Much obliged!

@yabba - hang on to those elves, they're mighty handy!

9 Mar 13, 2008 13:25

anyone know if you can put php in the free html widget? or will it strip all that out?

10 Mar 13, 2008 20:29

It just displays it all as text (or html if a link). There might be a way to selectively tell it to process or display code, dunno.

Form is loading...