Recent Topics

1 Mar 21, 2008 11:31    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.1

Please I need help. Im writing a post and want to add some files. How do I do that?

I click on the "Files" below the post window, then choose one and click "Quick upload!". But still gettting this error

An unknown error occurred when moving the uploaded file on the server.

What wrong?

THX

2 Apr 03, 2008 02:58

Could be that your media and media/blogs and/or media/users folders are not CHMODed appropriately to let b2evolution upload files? Don't know for sure though, but that is where I would start looking.

3 Apr 17, 2008 21:27

So, we don't have the easy upload from the old versions? The button that was right by the Save and Preview buttons? That uploaded the photo, then said "click here to insert code into your post"? If that's the case, that stinks.

In the meantime, I am having other issues (after the recent upgrade, which I love EdB for getting me working!)...

So in trying to upload pics for this post...on the Files tab, when I tried to upload via the quick upload at the bottom, I got this error (I assume maybe I have to change my permissions?):

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/all//file-error.jpg) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php on line 334

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpBXeYVN' to '/home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/all//file-error.jpg' in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php on line 334

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php:334) in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/_core/_template.funcs.php on line 133

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php:334) in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/_core/_template.funcs.php on line 136

The pics I was trying to post were, ironically, of this error:

http://www.hudson2001.com/miscpics/b2evo-file-error.jpg

And if I create a post, then go back to add files, then check mark one of the boxes, this is what I get:

http://www.hudson2001.com/miscpics/b2evo-file-error2.jpg

LASTLY, I have found [url=http://wonderwinds.com/hackblog.php/2008/03/08/make-draft-posts-a-v240-hack]this hack of Eds[/url] that seems to MAYBE be what I want...but just want to make sure before I install it. :)

If that isn't what I want, is there something that will give me what I want? I want to upload and install code in one fell swoop.

4 Apr 17, 2008 21:49

No that hack isn't what you need. I'm going to try to repeat something Yabba wrote quite a while ago, because it is how I got my file manager to work again - but first a preface that I don't understand: File manager needs to have permission to write to the media folder so that it can (a) move files from your computer to your media folder (media/whatever folder really but same thing) and (b) be able to generate thumbnails to see in the file manager tab and (c) be able to generate skin-specific sizes of an image for when you use the "Make Posts" feature.

Okay so you have the "black squares" issue and it is fixable. I'm sorry but it will suck a bit, but maybe you don't have to have it suck completely.

1. Rename your media folder as "media_whatever".
2. Create a new media folder, with new "blogs" and "users" folders inside it.
3. Now you are just like a raw installation of b2evolution so hooray.
4. Go to your file manager tab. If you see a lot of green stuff on top as it creates new folders you win. If not see the next step.
5. Change the permissions on your media/ and media/blogs/ and media/users/ folder to whatever it takes to let b2evolution get green stuff in the previous step. On my server I always used 777 because it worked and I never had a problem. Recently I learned that 775 would also work, and very recently I discovered I had a malicious intruder issue (hack!).
OT: My host now says that due to a change they made I should be able to enjoy b2evolution's file manager with the perms at 755 but I haven't tested it yet. Right now all I know is that 775 seems to work and might or might not have been the permissions setting when the malicious files were introduced to every folder in my media folder. EVERY folder, which means like hundreds of them because of the way the file manager makes a folder for each image or file you've uploaded. Wow...
6. Once you get the green stuff you can begin uploading files via the file manager. The sucky part is that you will probably need to upload all your existing media again. Another sucky part is that you might not be able to delete or rename files with your FTP program if the file manager uploaded them. Weird but sucky but not so bad given all the coolness that file manager can do.
7. One way to cut down the suckiness might be to simply FTP the previously uploaded files back to your media folder paths. I think if you do it this way then they won't get thumbnails generated, but hey all that media is already handled by your blogging so it pretty much wouldn't matter anymore.
8. The big black square you showed in your post here is because file manager knows it has an image but can't make the skin-specific version of that image. So it gave you poo for a "Make Posts" image thing. That would be a new feature: the "linked images" feature.

Hey by the way that is where my hack comes in: "Make Posts" always publishes the post immediately. My hack simply says "Make Posts as Drafts" instead of published. Also, I discovered that I had a hack-job done when I went to upload the same hack for v241. Needless to say, I got a bit sidetracked in taking care of that business yah?

Hope it helps as I'm not previewing this. Just typing and posting.

5 Apr 17, 2008 21:51

hudson2001 wrote:

So, we don't have the easy upload from the old versions? ...

Actually it'll all work just as well and a little bit weller EXCEPT for when the whole permissions thing and who makes what has to be sorted out. That's what the nasty steps above are all about: getting b2evo into the "media folder drivers seat".

6 Apr 18, 2008 00:14

^
|
|
what he said ;)

The problem is that php can't write to the folder because, on lots of web hosting, php runs as "nobody" or "apache", which means you end up being rapeable by the universe by having to open your permissions to "world writeable" ( ###2 ) just so you can allow php to write. The only *real* solution is to nag your host to change php to use mod_SuPhp or suexec or ... or summat ... which is when php runs as your domain user and allows you to switch off group/world write access to any/all files/folders ..... if I was using shared hosting that would be my minimum requirement before I even considered paying them any $'s .... mind you, I only pay them in $'s cos it's like monopoly money compared to GBP :roll:

¥

7 Apr 18, 2008 01:57

¥åßßå wrote:

^
|
|
what he said ;)

The problem is that php can't write to the folder because, on lots of web hosting, php runs as "nobody" or "apache", which means you end up being rapeable by the universe by having to open your permissions to "world writeable" ( ###2 ) just so you can allow php to write. The only *real* solution is to nag your host to change php to use mod_SuPhp or suexec or ... or summat ... which is when php runs as your domain user and allows you to switch off group/world write access to any/all files/folders ..... if I was using shared hosting that would be my minimum requirement before I even considered paying them any $'s .... mind you, I only pay them in $'s cos it's like monopoly money compared to GBP :roll:

¥

I kinda understand what you're saying, but it mostly sounds like host blah blah blah php blah blah blah minimum requirement blah blah blah. :lol:

So, because I am stupid in these matters... why did it work before (or why were were allowed to do it before)? Is it something in b2evo that changed, or ... something else???

8 Apr 18, 2008 02:28

EdB wrote:

1. Rename your media folder as "media_whatever".
CHECK.

2. Create a new media folder, with new "blogs" and "users" folders inside it.
CHECK.

3. Now you are just like a raw installation of b2evolution so hooray.
CHECK.

4. Go to your file manager tab. If you see a lot of green stuff on top as it creates new folders you win. If not see the next step.
CHECK.

5. Change the permissions on your media/ and media/blogs/ and media/users/ folder to whatever it takes to let b2evolution get green stuff in the previous step. On my server I always used 777 because it worked and I never had a problem. Recently I learned that 775 would also work, and very recently I discovered I had a malicious intruder issue (hack!).

I'm stuck. I did all of those steps, and I get NO green stuff. I tried changing the media folder to 777 and then to 775 and I just get this with both of them:

* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/all/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist. Help
* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/blather/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist. Help
* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/baby/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist. Help
* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/links/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist. Help
* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/recipes/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist. Help

I then tried to add those folders separately - and upon checking the File manager, it said No files found (which was correct). As soon as I uploaded one photo, I got the black square thing.

So... next? :oops:

9 Apr 18, 2008 02:31

I SPOKE TOO SOON!
(But am leaving my failed attempt there for others to see and learn from.) :lol:

I only changed the media folder to 777, assuming it would take care of the subfolders. I was wrong. Once I changed the media, blogs, and users folder to 777, it worked...and I got green. Now to upload the files again.

And....it's not working. Of course, LOL. I get this type of error when trying to REupload media into the correct folders:

550 tomatillo_cheddar_cornbread.pdf: Permission denied : /domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/recipes/tomatillo_cheddar_cornbread.pdf

I changed all subfolders (i.e. separate blog media folders) to 777 and it appeared to work, but nothing appears and it still says permission denied. But then it said Operation not allowed...???

Stay tuned. I will fight more tomorrow. I am putting all my media back where it was so at least people can read the blogs if they want. :)

10 Apr 18, 2008 06:08

Were you able to upload any previously existing (or even new) files? I'm thinking of the "file types" option and maybe you have to tell it you are allowed to upload .pdf files. I'm also thinking there might be a filter that is intentionally blocking "tomatillo cheddar cornbread" because ... er ... never mind :roll:

Seriously were you able to upload a .jpg or .gif file? I think it under your Global Settings tab is the file types tab where you can tell it you can upload .pdf files IF that file type is not currently allowed. Oh and do try 775 once you get something working, because ¥åßßå is typically spot-on even if it doesn't make sense initially.

Problem for folk like you and me is that we damn sure better get an idea of what all that blah blah stuff means because like it or not our webs are NOT in the back office. All we do in there is call up the web and tell it to do stuff. Our webs actually live and work on our servers, so what if we're calling in orders while some malicious prick is hopping the fence and sneaking in a window they managed to pry their way into? Don't we need to know about the window and know how to close it and keep it closed?

Oh and yeah stuff changed in a major sort of way. ALL the extra stuff didn't magically fall out of the tree and land in the back office. But with great power comes great opportunity for destruction :(

11 Apr 18, 2008 12:55

FIRST, EdB, thank you so much for responding and trying to keep helping me out! :)

I just happened to pick a pdf error to copy, but the same error happened for EVERY file I tried to upload - jpg or pdf or doc. And I did try 775 and that didn't work. :(

All that said, I will be downloading and installing filezilla tonight (or maybe at work today) and trying that - just in case it's a matter of my FTP client being wonky. Or heck, I might just go in via my control panel and change it there.

Stay tuned.

12 Apr 18, 2008 13:15

Hey check out your Tools->System tab and see who it says for USER and GROUP. I have no idea of all the things it might say there, but it's another clue as to what's going on.

Reaching a point where it is capable of creating the directories should have been enough to have it do file transfers for you because it was capable of creating stuff. But hey I know very little about this. I learned a tiny bit more after my "malicious file discovery" episode though. So take a look at USER and GROUP and see if it mentions your FTP login name.

After my recent hack-like episode I got my host involved and they changed from DSO to MOD_SuPHP - which apparently is a good thing. My USER and GROUP on the System subtab says my FTP login name and I can upload with the file attributes set to 755.

13 Apr 18, 2008 14:00

My Tools -> System tab says this about USER or GROUP - is this what you meant?

PHP
PHP running as USER: apache (uid 100)
PHP running as GROUP: apache (gid 500)
PHP version 5.2.0
PHP register_globals On

Under Global Settings -> Files -> Advanced options, I have:

Default folder permissions: 775
Default file permissions: 664

Allowable file types include everything except html and php.

14 Apr 18, 2008 14:46

Hey something just dawned on me. We replaced your skins_adm folder and magically got rid of a problem of some sort, but you had previously replaced files to no avail.

I don't know the exact bits to look at replacing, but have you considered getting a brand new copy and fully replacing (delete then re-upload) your inc/files/ folder? Or maybe your entire inc/ folder but on a slow connection that might feel like it is taking forever. It won't because forever technically won't end and uploading even the largest file set on the slowest connection will but you know what I mean.

15 Apr 18, 2008 14:52

I will try that when I download the new FTP client. :)

16 Apr 18, 2008 15:17

hudson2001 wrote:

PHP
PHP running as USER: apache (uid 100)
PHP running as GROUP: apache (gid 500)
PHP version 5.2.0
PHP register_globals On

I'd seriously be looking for a new host who :
a) runs mod_SuPhp
b) has register globals disabled by default

Running php as apache ( or "nobody" ) means you end up having to open up world write permissions to be able to create files via php. If *any* website on the server has a security hole ( made worse by register globals being enabled ) then EVERY website that shares the same server is vulnerable.

When mod_SuPhp is enabled your website scripts run as your user ( ie/ mine run as "yabba" ), because of this you can disable world write and group write on every file/folder and still be able to create files via php. If another website on the same server has a security hole then only their site is compromised as user-A cannot create files in user-B's folders.

¥

17 Apr 18, 2008 15:20

Hi,

I am unfortunately also having problems with my newly installed b2evolution 2.4.1
After installing I cannot upload any files with the file manager. I always get an error message similar to "The blog/user's media directory «xyz» could not be created" (Actually it is in German.). I have set my file admission to "777" and checked it an FTP client on my PC (Filezilla), with the FTP-client on my provider's page and finally I also checked it with the permission file suggested by the help (http://manual.b2evolution.net/Directory_creation_error) All confirmed that all my folders are set on "777".
So what else can I do to get the filemanager going? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Anne

18 Apr 18, 2008 15:25

Okay, using SmartFTP, I deleted the entire inc/ folder and reuploaded it. Changed the permissions to 755 and it worked - green across the board: all new blog media folders created!

So then I just tried to upload one jpg into the newly created folders, and I got this error:

550 garthpink.jpg No such file or directory

It looks like the file is uploaded into the directory, but the file size was 0 bytes.

If I try to change the individual folders to 755, I get Operation Denied.

19 Apr 18, 2008 15:36

annerle wrote:

All confirmed that all my folders are set on "777".

If by "all" you mean every folder in your install then I'd seriously advise that you revert the permissions back to 0755. The only folders that need to be 0777 are media/blogs && media/users ( and sub folders ). I'd also advise that you contact your host and ask to be moved to a server that's running mod_SuPhp which would allow you to remove world write permissions from those folders as well.

hudson2001 wrote:

It looks like the file is uploaded into the directory, but the file size was 0 bytes.

Are you getting that error from your ftp client or from evo? If it's from your ftp client then you probably need to open up the write access for group ( 0775 ). If it's from evo then you might want to look at your sites error logs and see if that has any more information in it

¥

20 Apr 18, 2008 15:43

hudson2001 wrote:

Okay, using SmartFTP, I deleted the entire inc/ folder and reuploaded it. Changed the permissions to 755 and it worked - green across the board: all new blog media folders created!

Changed what folder to 755? Hopefully not the inc folders as you should not have to change them to anything. T) 755?? Isn't that what folders start as?

hudson2001 wrote:

So then I just tried to upload one jpg into the newly created folders, and I got this error:

Well the circumstances are changing, which is a good thing. Seems like the previous method of getting files to your server wasn't exactly totally awesome yah?

Oh and you should never have to change any folder or file permission after changing media/ and media/blogs/ and media/users/ - once you reach a point where it can create folders (the green bits instead of red bits regarding folder creation) you should be completely done with changing file attritubes.

Okay let's take a random guess and see what we can see. There is a folder called htsrv/ that probably isn't related to uploading files but does have 'interactive activities' with browsers. Typically commenting but hey what do I know? There is one file in there for file viewing, so maybe that folder needs some "remove and replace" love? Actually given what you've done so far I'd be inclined to slowly but surely replace ALL the folders in your installation rather than guessing which one is causing the problem each time you find a new bit that doesn't work.

But anyway CHMODing after the initial three folders is not and should not be required. 755 I thought was default, so I'm guessing you changed to either 775 or 777? Oh and if 777 works then try 775 and hope for the best.

And given the past I'd be looking at using SmartFTP to replace everything that hasn't already been replaced. htsrv, xmlsrv, rsc, plugins: whatever. Obviously something whacked happened via your previous uploading tool.

21 Apr 18, 2008 15:46

¥åßßå wrote:

hudson2001 wrote:

Are you getting that error from your ftp client or from evo? If it's from your ftp client then you probably need to open up the write access for group ( 0775 ). If it's from evo then you might want to look at your sites error logs and see if that has any more information in it

¥

From the FTP client.

I *did* open up group write access by setting the entire media folder to 775 - and still got that error on the individual blog folders:

550 blather: Operation not permitted

22 Apr 18, 2008 15:46

sorry, i was a bit unclear, with all folders I was referring to "media", "media/blogs" and "media/users". I said all, because those are all files that are checked by the permission-file of b2evolution.

23 Apr 18, 2008 15:48

EdB wrote:

And given the past I'd be looking at using SmartFTP to replace everything that hasn't already been replaced. htsrv, xmlsrv, rsc, plugins: whatever. Obviously something whacked happened via your previous uploading tool.

Reuploading everything now.

And I am asking my host about the apache thing.

24 Apr 18, 2008 15:49

actually i have such kind of a problem since the early days but i ve never mentioned it as it was not that important for me for now...

i can upload files to media folder; the file is in /users/user folder, but when i use the img to make post; i get such look;

http://i31.tinypic.com/nchyix.jpg[/img]

25 Apr 18, 2008 15:50

¥åßßå wrote:

If by "all" you mean every folder in your install then I'd seriously advise that you revert the permissions back to 0755. The only folders that need to be 0777 are media/blogs && media/users ( and sub folders ). ...
¥

Emphasis added to the bit that isn't really accurate. IF b2evolution gets to create a folder then whatever it is set to is fine for uploading into. The trio of original folders (mom and two children) need to be changed IF suphp is not present. And we only know if suphp is present by seeing our ftp or domain login on our Tools->System subtab for USER and GROUP, or at least I think that is the only way we can tell.

Anyway for those without suphp you should only need to change the original three folders. Start with 775 then try 777 - not that I know for a fact 775 would stop maliciousness eh? I don't actually *know* any of this stuff. I *think* the following is accurate though:

- mod_suphp means you do not need to CHMOD anything and file manager will work (barring bonked up files of course).
- you can tell if you have mod_suphp by looking at your System subtab.
- you can ask your host for it if you don't see your login detail on the system subtab.
- you might have to CHMOD media and media/blogs and media/users to something to get file manager to work.
- Try 775 then 777 if you have to do the CHMOD thing because one of them is bound to work even though both are less secure than a perfect world.

26 Apr 18, 2008 15:53

@annerle: did you CHMOD all three folders? Media is mommy and it owns the children, and you want to do stuff with the children so you have to get mom's permission first.

media/ and media/blogs/ and media/users/ all need CHMODing IF IF IF your host doesn't give you mod_suphp. Check your Tools->System tab and see what it says for USER and GROUP learn if you have suphp or not, but I suspect you do not else you would not have the problem.

27 Apr 18, 2008 15:57

@tilqicom: you are where I was a long time ago. My solution was to follow ¥åßßå's very clear and to the point steps for resolution, which I copied above only turned into a major novel.

Copy media as media_mine
Make a new media/
Make a new media/blogs/
Make a new media/users/
Visit your Files tab. Did you get green?
If not CHMOD those three folders to 775 and visit the Files tab again. Did you get green?
If not CHMOD thos three folders to 777 and visit the files tab again. Did you get green?

Of course you did by this point, and now you are ready to begin uploading all your media again. OR trying to FTP your media back to your new media folder and seeing if it will make proper thumbnails AND make properly sized images for the "Make Posts" feature.

28 Apr 18, 2008 15:58

@tilqicom: unless that is an image of a night sky with full cloud cover and magical red letters floating in the night sky. In that case it is working perfectly ;)

29 Apr 18, 2008 16:14

EdB wrote:

@tilqicom: you are where I was a long time ago. My solution was to follow ¥åßßå's very clear and to the point steps for resolution, which I copied above only turned into a major novel.

Copy media as media_mine
Make a new media/
Make a new media/blogs/
Make a new media/users/
Visit your Files tab. Did you get green?
If not CHMOD those three folders to 775 and visit the Files tab again. Did you get green?
If not CHMOD thos three folders to 777 and visit the files tab again. Did you get green?

Of course you did by this point, and now you are ready to begin uploading all your media again. OR trying to FTP your media back to your new media folder and seeing if it will make proper thumbnails AND make properly sized images for the "Make Posts" feature.

done
done
done and done.

yea got red, chmodded to 777 and got green

now i try to upload i get

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 640 is not allowed to access /home/prosoftwar/domains/tilqi.com/public_html/media/blogs/tilqi owned by uid 48 in /home/prosoftwar/domains/tilqi.com/public_html/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php on line 334

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/prosoftwar/domains/tilqi.com/public_html/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php:334) in /home/prosoftwar/domains/tilqi.com/public_html/inc/_core/_template.funcs.php on line 133

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/prosoftwar/domains/tilqi.com/public_html/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php:334) in /home/prosoftwar/domains/tilqi.com/public_html/inc/_core/_template.funcs.php on line 136

EdB wrote:

@tilqicom: unless that is an image of a night sky with full cloud cover and magical red letters floating in the night sky. In that case it is working perfectly ;)

EdB wrote:

@edb: i dont visit flickr much often :)

30 Apr 18, 2008 16:48

Okay the "SAFE MODE" thing I have no knowledge of. We should pitch in and buy ¥åßßå a round then ask him to tell us all about this "SAFE MODE" thing ... and hope the explanation was worth the price of a pint :)

http://us2.php.net/features.safe-mode might make sense to someone who needs to do the research?

31 Apr 18, 2008 16:48

Under tools>system I got

PHP running as USER:hochach (uid 819)
PHP running as GROUP:site106 (gid 606)
PHP version4.4.8
PHP register_globalsAn

So as it is specific it should work without me changing anything, right? But it does not. Did I miss something?
With this installation I tried the media (+subfolders "users" and "blogs") with "775" and "777", it did not work. I also tried to "reinstall" the media subfolder but this did not work either.

32 Apr 18, 2008 16:51

Did you see an error message similar to what tilqicom got about SAFE MODE being active?

Sorry, but all I know about this I learned yesterday after discovering malicious crap in all the folders in my media folder, and I've pretty much expended my knowledge base already.

33 Apr 18, 2008 16:57

Actually I still don't get green in my file manager, so I am still far from the safe mode...

34 Apr 18, 2008 17:12

Ok, a small success. I was fed up with the automated creation of the folders that did not work, so I just created all the folders b2evolution claimed it cannot create myself. Now I can upload and integrate the pictures without any problem, only thing left, I don't have a thumbnail - yet. I'll see if I can get it to work.
Anyway, this new file manager is really nicer than the old version - once you have it working.

35 Apr 18, 2008 17:50

at least i was able to upload images, i was able to insert them into post, i just couldnt make posts directly with the uploaded image..

now i cant even upload ..you broke my b2evo edb :(.. (kidding).. i will stick around and try to find a decent solution for that media thing.. maybe an .htaccess put under media folders might work..just an idea

i hope i can work sth out without doing anything related to safemode.. (cause i cant change setting for safemode afaiknow, since i use a shared hosting)

36 Apr 19, 2008 04:21

I think I am giving up for now.

I realized I was reading the instructions wrong - that once I got all the folders "GREEN" I was to upload everything via the file manager. I was thinking MY file manager, like FTP, but it just now hit me that it meant file manager, like via the blog's quick upload.

So I tried that. And my first file? HA, now I am at the SAFE MODE thing as well...

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 553 is not allowed to access /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/blather owned by uid 100 in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php on line 334

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php:334) in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/_core/_template.funcs.php on line 133

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/files/upload.ctrl.php:334) in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/_core/_template.funcs.php on line 136

And if I try to upload the file directly through my host's control panel, I get this:

An Error Occurred

Details

Unable to open /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/blather/garthpink.jpg for writing

Warning: Saved filesize is less than uploaded filesize. Check quotas.

37 Apr 20, 2008 02:20

I just ran the debugging script on my media/blogs folder and got this - everything green across the board:

Current script owner (irrelevant): jhudson2
Process user:apache
Dirs:

Effective perms are highlighted/bold.
Green user and groupnames can write.
Brown user and groupnames can read.
Red user and groupnames cannot read/write.

* /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/:
755 / jhudson2/
o /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/:
777 / jhudson2/
+ /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/all/:
775 / apache/admin
+ /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/blather/:
775 / apache/admin
+ /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/baby/:
775 / apache/admin
+ /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/links/:
775 / apache/admin
+ /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/blogs/recipes/:
775 / apache/admin
o /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/media/users/:
777 / jhudson2/

So why are some jhudson2 and some apache/admin? Is that where my problem is?

Once again, I tried changing the permissions of the 775 folders to 777 and I get an Operation Not Permitted error.

I have passed along this info to my host as well.

38 Apr 20, 2008 02:36

I'm soooo not used to shared hosting and crap permissions, but ( always a but huh? ), what happens if you change /media/blogs/ && /media/users/ to 0775 ?

Feel free to take enough time to reply to this post for me to sod off to bed ( about 10 mins should suffice ;) )

¥

39 Apr 20, 2008 02:43

I am actually going to wait on your suggestion, because my host is trying to manually change my permissions on those other folders at the server level... don't want to mess around when he's messing around. :)

40 Apr 20, 2008 02:54

7 minutes ffs .... how the hell am I meant to nod off within 7 minutes? ..... don't even consider replying for at least 11 minutes :|

¥

41 Apr 20, 2008 20:10

I have the same problem with version 2.4.0
How come no developers have replied to this problem? it seems to be a systematic one! This is very disappointing

42 Apr 20, 2008 20:17

/me resigns from the dev team .... sorry :'(

Chances are that you also have a perms problem, you could try making your install rapeable by the world and chmoding the media folder to 0777 and crossing your fingers and praying that you don't hit the safe mode errors ... either that or you *could* nag your host to enable mod_suphp instead of leaving you wide open to every exploit in every bit of code on every webspace that's on the overcrowded box that your own domain lives on?

¥

43 Apr 21, 2008 01:53

annerle wrote:

Under tools>system I got

PHP running as USER:hochach (uid 819)
PHP running as GROUP:site106 (gid 606)
PHP version4.4.8
PHP register_globalsAn

So as it is specific it should work without me changing anything, right? But it does not. Did I miss something?

Yes you did: BOTH do not say your login so they "USER and GROUP" are not specific to you. Therefore you probably don't have mod_suphp going on.

Listen this sucks but it's simple: mod_suphp or plan on changing "file attributes" on three folders, and even then depending on your host it still might not work.

If it can create the folders it needs (one per blog if blog folders is enabled, one per user if user folders is enabled) then it should be able to upload files and do the things it needs to do for the "Make Posts" feature. If it can't create the folders then it won't be able to.

If you need to change file attributes on folders then start with 775 on all three folders and see what happens. If that doesn't work then change it to 777 and see what happens. Don't be surprised if (a) it lets you use the file manager features and (b) you eventually suffer an exploit of some undesirable kind.

Talk to your host. Say to them "do I have mod_suphp or not because I want to use b2evolution v2.4.1 and it has a file manager feature that I want to use and therefore need to be able to upload files through the program".

Consider changing hosts, or simply don't use that feature. You can always FTP files to wherever you like and just link them like people used to do before blog engines had file managers.

44 Apr 29, 2008 11:10

seems I'm having some sort of the same problem... :oops: :oops: :oops:

//After doing what annerle did (manualy creating all the subfolders I need) I don't seem to have any problem uploading my files. I can keep doing it with every new blog I create in which I may have the need to upload files even more constantly and quickly than usual (good old FTP)... but I wanted to post my shard of the problem :oops: just to see if by any means this could be solved in any other way, or if the only option is to change my web server to one that has mod_SuPhp or something...

I've CHMODed my "media" folder and sub folders "users" and "blogs" to 777 (from "media", using the "recursing to subdirectories", and then all the sub files individualy) and I still get the "The blog's media directory «media/blogs/x/» could not be created."

my permission problems debug says:

Effective perms are highlighted/bold.
Green user and groupnames can write.
Brown user and groupnames can read.
Red user and groupnames cannot read/write.

* /misc/25/000/001/042/9/user/web/m.yuusatsu.net/media/:
777 / /
o /misc/25/000/001/042/9/user/web/m.yuusatsu.net/media/blogs/:
777 / /
o /misc/25/000/001/042/9/user/web/m.yuusatsu.net/media/users/:
777 / /

but the last part does not have ANY of the colors mentioned above.
plus, my tools > system info says:

PHP running as USER: ? (uid 2409)
PHP running as GROUP: ? (gid 2409)
PHP version: 5.2.4
PHP register_globals: Off

Is that in any way helpful? :oops:

45 May 06, 2008 17:01

I can finally upload. My host changed my permissions (although I am not sure what he changed them to, I haven't looked) and suddenly I was able to upload and I have thumbnails. Of course, I am not sure why it decided to work now, when I swear he did the same thing before and it didn't work....

46 May 06, 2008 18:08

hudson2001 wrote:

I can finally upload. My host changed my permissions (although I am not sure what he changed them to, I haven't looked) and suddenly I was able to upload and I have thumbnails. Of course, I am not sure why it decided to work now, when I swear he did the same thing before and it didn't work....

good news.. i ve also switched to a new host with suphp, dont know what good it will do for me, will see.. happy for you (:

47 Jul 29, 2008 09:41

Sorry for digging this post again, but i have serious problems and need an urgent suggestion / solution to this..

I have tried suggestions in this page already, chmodding to 775 / 77 creating new folders etc...

I am at similar places.. when i make media folder 775 it says "there is no upper directory available or it's not writable"

when i make 777 i only get "directory xyz could not be created"

I have read the documentation also about this but couldnt solve ...

When i manually create these folders (media/xxx) i can upload files; however just like the above examples; i get a black screen and red error message in preview and thumbnails...

And my host runs with suPhp... (yes i have contacted my hosting provider but they claim everything is OK , and they say they have tested it via both ftp and filemanager)

What would you suggest (note: i really need an urgent one this time)
or what should i tell my hosting provider exactly ?

Further edit: i ve tested uploading images with dragonflycms but didnt encounter any problem.. just to mention, may be to increase the chances of understanding whether this is a b2 or server issue

Form is loading...