Recent Topics

1 Mar 28, 2008 18:02    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I'm happy with the looks of my website http://www.konstanzerfasnacht.de/PM08B2/blogs/index.php as long as watch it with iExplorer7. Yet, a strange thing happens when I use Firefox 2.00.13. >>> You only see a small margin of the header image!

I'm far from being an expert, so I have no clue what to do ...

2 Mar 28, 2008 18:31

I'd look at validating the xhtml errors first, but truly I don't think that's part of it. http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.konstanzerfasnacht.de%2FPM08B2%2Fblogs%2Findex.php

I'm pretty sure that was working before, so the next thing I'd look at is what changes I've made that are in or near the header section. Given that the preview of that skin in Firefox isn't doing the bad thing, perhaps simply downloading and comparing will reveal the issue? http://skindemo.b2evolution.net/2/index.php?tempskin=nautica_2lmar is the demo site.

3 Mar 28, 2008 20:51

Also , replace <br> with <br />. That old fashioned break tag is generating 32 validation errors

4 Mar 28, 2008 21:35

I wouldn't dare to bother anybody with my questions without having checked out a couple of things before. I've seen that the demo looks fine in Firefox, so I thought it must be something I have changed in the skin. However, when I installed the original skin again, I encountered the same problem like before.

The validator check said "Passed validation". That was the point where I didn't know where to go from there. Finally, I also replaced the one <BR> that I've found by <BR />. But this step didn't change anything either.

I'm going to use another skin now. In case incidentally somebody knows an easy way out, I can still change back to nautic_2lmar.

Thanks everybody for reading my posts and dealing with my difficulties!

5 Mar 28, 2008 22:05

I may have found the cause. Using the Web Developer addon in Firefox to outline the current element, the info showed for your header versus the demo is way longer. Like there is a whole bunch of stuff in yours that is not in the demo.

Doing a view source though didn't show me a major difference. One thing that stood out and might be worth looking at: your skin has

<div id="skin_wrapper" class="skin_wrapper_anonymous">
<!-- Start of skin_wrapper -->

that the demo skin doesn't have. You are using 241 and the demo is using 240, so perhaps that's somehow part of it?

I would look at a file in the skins/ folder with something like "html header" in the name to see where that extra div comes from, and see what you get when you take it out. For sure you will end up with an extra </div> at the end of the file from removing a div, but that is secondary to seeing if this cures the unsightly problem you have there.

Best of luck with it!

6 Mar 28, 2008 22:08

chris-j-d wrote:

I wouldn't dare to bother anybody with my questions without having checked out a couple of things before ...

Hey it's no bother! We're probably gonna cover the same ground as you already did, of course, because everyone will go for the easy answer before digging deep.

It's a pretty neat problem yah? Hopefully digging into the source code comparison will show a positive result - especially if you want that skin.

7 Mar 29, 2008 00:04

Hm. I can find "skin_wrapper_anonymous" in a couple of files, e.g., default.php and _html_header.inc.php, but nowhere in the nautica skin. But anyway, I think I stick to the new skin I've found. I have it customized already and it looks fine in iE as well as in Firefox.

Thanks for your help!

8 Mar 29, 2008 00:22

Cool. Yeah it would have been skins/_html_header.inc.php that added that bit. Your skin calls other files, and MOST skins don't contain all the files they use. In fact, only the files that need customizing are included in any given skin - unless the skinner is crazy. So when that happens the skin falls back on using the 'stock' version of the file in the skins folder.

Anyway you're happy with your skin and when I find an application for that other skin I know how to fix the Firefox issue. Hooray! :)

9 Mar 30, 2008 19:20

Curiosity was pushing me to find out what the reason was for Firefox to hide the biggest part of my logo on top of the page. After EdB's hint I could finally figure out what it was: an empty widget in the top region!

Form is loading...