Recent Topics

1 Apr 05, 2008 20:31    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.1

Hello all - new user.

I am new to b2e and would like to install it to my domain and work on the set up.

Once I get it all figured out, I would then like to move it to my root directory so it will take over my index.html file.

Is this possible? Or once I install it on my server, is the database already configured and can't move it without losing informaiton?

I imagine there has to be a way to work on the development of it and then easily move it to another directory?

Thank you.

Gordon
Wiesbaden, Germany

2 Apr 05, 2008 20:34

Hi Gordon,

Welcome to the forums.
What you want is perfectly possible. After moving the files all you have to do is change the $baseurl in /conf/_basic_config.php. If you take a look now you will see how easy that is.

Good luck

3 Apr 05, 2008 21:02

I will give it a try. I haven't run the Install progam on my server yet because I didnt want to be "trapped"...

I will install it now and then work on what you said.

Thank you. More questions to follow I'm sure!

5 Apr 05, 2008 21:11

So I just tried to run the Instal script - but when I click on it, I get:
OPEN or SAVE new file...

and it thinks that my PrintMaster program is the program that will open the index.php file. No option to OPEN WITH...or anything.

Seen that before?

6 Apr 05, 2008 21:12

"tilqicom" wrote:

i dont mean to be sarcastic..

Nothing sarcastic about that answer.

Thanks for the info :oops:

I guess I will go read!

7 Apr 05, 2008 21:14

gordo282 wrote:

So I just tried to run the Instal script - but when I click on it, I get:
OPEN or SAVE new file...

and it thinks that my PrintMaster program is the program that will open the index.php file. No option to OPEN WITH...or anything.

Seen that before?

You do need a server. If you want to install on your local machine, you want a local server like WAMP or XAMPP, see http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=13698.

Good luck

8 Apr 05, 2008 21:18

I have a server www.hostdepartment.com is where I am hosted...got it to work so far but I am sure this is going to be a long process...

Here is what I got:

"We cannot automatically update your config file"

9 Apr 05, 2008 21:23

gordo282 wrote:

"We cannot automatically update your config file"

Change the permission of the file /conf/_basic_config.php to 777. You can do that in the commandline of your FTP program (most likely) or through your cPanel. This is the command (from the folder /conf/):

CHMOD 777 _basic_config.php

Good luck

11 Apr 05, 2008 21:30

Yeah, looking at them now...I configured them yesteday online and then wrote down everything I saved along the way. But for some reason I must have something wrong..

This is what I got this time

(Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2))

13 Apr 05, 2008 21:33

That's an error from Apache (the server). I don't know an answer to that one.

14 Apr 05, 2008 21:39

tilqicom wrote:

uhhm.. is this installation about your shared hosting, or a local installation on your pc ?

I am trying to install this to my website (not the local machine).

I did it again and got this error again:
We cannot automatically update your config file [/hsphere/local/home/[username]/[domain.name]/b2evo/conf/_basic_config.php]!

15 Apr 05, 2008 21:42

gordo282 wrote:

I am trying to install this to my website (not the local machine).

I did it again and got this error again:
We cannot automatically update your config file [/hsphere/local/home/[username]/[domain.name]/b2evo/conf/_basic_config.php]!

u really should do what afwas said first.. did u chmodded your conf dir or the conf file to 777 ? it seems u havent..

by the way, what i am going to say is not just for you but everybody; by writing to the forum, every issue is archived and may be it's a better idea mostly to post to forum in case someone else has same problem he could search; but you are also welcome to use the irc channel for minor issues - see afwas' signature-

16 Apr 05, 2008 21:45

You are correct - I haven't chmodded my conf dir...can't figure out where to go.

I was just uploading directly through Internet Explorer while viewing as an FTP...

...and the cPanel for PHPmyadmin that is on my HostDepartment webserver doesn't look too friendly.

17 Apr 05, 2008 21:50

Ok. I did the edit by hand like it suggested in the description of the error lines.

Now I am up to:
How do you want to install b2evolution?

Working...

18 Apr 05, 2008 21:53

Install complete.

Just logged in.

Continuing.

Sorry for the play by play - it helps me to review where I have been and how I left there.

19 Apr 05, 2008 21:55

That's fine.
Just play ahead ;)

Form is loading...