Recent Topics

1 Apr 06, 2008 20:36    

(apart from shorten the titles) :p

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.1
I'm using the pixelgreen theme.

The posts titles work well elsewhere on the site but are sometimes too long for the blogroll in my sidebar and the text wraps but overlays the next line.
Please see the picture below to see what I mean.
Is there a way of sorting this out? maybe so that long titles would wrap nicely and not overlay.

Many thanks

[url=http://www.barnesnet.co.uk]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/sims_album/b2e/blogrollprob.jpg[/url]

2 Apr 06, 2008 20:54

Try overflow: hidden;. I don't know the tag you want to apply that to.

Good luck

3 Apr 06, 2008 21:41

After a bit of experimenting, I added it to:

#sidebar ul.sidemenu li

in my css.

This has hidden the wrapped part of the title and I guess this was the intention.

I am happy with this at the moment, but I am thinking of widening both my main content area and the sidebar. Just need to work out how to do it correctly. I like the way it is at the moment because it fits even the smaller screens withouts scrolling. I think this could still be the case after it is widened by using percentage sizes?

Thanks again for your help

4 Apr 06, 2008 21:57

This skin works beautifully on 800x600 screens. You could squash out a few pixels here and there. But is 800x600 really your target audience?

Good luck

5 Apr 06, 2008 22:06

This skin works beautifully on 800x600 screens. You could squash out a few pixels here and there. But is 800x600 really your target audience?

oh no, certainly not, but I would still like to cater for those poor folk :lol: I mean those viewing from work etc.

I'm just looking at things after viewing this post:
http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=14515

and viewing my site at 800x600 and you are right, I can leave it pretty much as is to cater for the 800x600 or widen things and make them better for the others.

What are peoples thoughts? stick as is or widen?

6 Apr 06, 2008 22:26

Less than 8% have a 800x600 screen (worldwide). I always style for 1024x768 (17"). So I would advise you to widen the body.

Good luck

7 Apr 06, 2008 22:54

As little as 8%!! I thought it would be low but not that low, enough said really.

8 Apr 06, 2008 23:27

Why don't you just reduce the amount of left padding in the ul ul
There's almost a full word wasted on the amount of padding/margin to the left of each li for the entries.

9 Apr 06, 2008 23:29

The hover effect takes some space. You wouldn't want to do without because it's beautiful. Bur yes I could find a few pix here and there if need be.

10 Apr 07, 2008 00:56

Re screen size: what happens to the usable space of a 1024 wide monitor when you have one of those side thingies opened up? Quite common yah? I haven't measured it (thought about it though) because I'm sure it depends on the minimum any given side thingie is willing to occupy, but it's worth noting.

Screen size doesn't always mean "room for the blog" is my point.

For me, Sage (the aggregator) is frequently open meaning there is just a bit over 800 wide available for the blog. So a fixed-width blog forces a horizontal scroll bar unless I close Sage. Since I don't want to do that I've come to value variable width or 800 wide sites.

11 Apr 07, 2008 10:01

That's a good point Edb, as you know at the moment my current size seems to work fine with side thingy's. I think there is a little to play with but not that much. In a dilemma now. I think I will look at grabbing some space within rather than expanding!!

12 Apr 07, 2008 13:51

i prefer 1280 by 1024 which is good so no one at work can see what i'm doing.

13 Apr 07, 2008 18:11

brandonh wrote:

i prefer 1280 by 1024 which is good so no one at work can see what i'm doing.

:)) unrelevant but nice idea :P.. u may have eye problems if you are using a 17''..

btw; my opinion is that; 800*600 is less than %8 i believe, i mean who would use 800*600 when has 1024*768.. (i use 1124 btw.)

but ignoring the 800*600 guys, and designing for 1024*768 is the best idea i suppose - as afwas does-.. coz when u design for 1024 it looks pretty good in 1124.. and the 800 users should settle for browsing with a horizantal bar as they are minority :)

14 Apr 07, 2008 19:51

Ok folks, just for the record but not important I am using 1280x800 on my laptop and when running dual monitors another 12 something x something else.

I have been playing and think I have come to a happy medium.
http://www.barnesnet.co.uk

Setup really for 1024x768 but also 98%ish viewable with a 'side thingy'
800x600 viewers will need to scroll to see the second half of the sidebar.

I still need to adjust my header picture but there is also one more prob which I need help with please:

Take a look at the site and reduce the width of your browser until it is pretty much narrow and you get a good horizontal scroll bar. Then scroll to the right of the screen and look at the top of the page.

The background (black and green image) stops repeating around the contact button area instead continuing to the edge of the frame.
I cannot find what I am supposed to change in the CSS? It must be a div somewhere.

Can you see any probs with the new dimensions and can you help me sort out the bg image problem?

15 Apr 08, 2008 16:29

sims wrote:

...I have been playing and think I have come to a happy medium.
http://www.barnesnet.co.uk

Well done! With Sage open I still see the full content without an offending horizontal scroller.

Regarding the oddball problem when a horizontal scroller is present and you scroll over and lose the background up top: when you cure it please tell how to fix it so that the owners of this site can apply the patch. Yup: the same undesirable effect happens here too! Sorry, but I have no idea how to correct that issue.

------------------

tilqicom wrote:

... and the 800 users should settle for browsing with a horizantal bar as they are minority :)

So design for Internet Explorer with Javascript enabled because users who choose a worthy browser and surf safely are also a minority right? :roll:

16 Apr 08, 2008 17:33

EdB wrote:

So design for Internet Explorer with Javascript enabled because users who choose a worthy browser and surf safely are also a minority right? :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated. I had what you said about the sidebar thingy in my mind when approaching this task and even downloaded the sage extension so I could get an idea of what you saw.
Glad it works. As you probably know it can be hard designing things for a vast array of people with different equipment and different display preferences.

As for the outstanding problem, I'm still looking for answers, to be honest I got side tracked and forgot about it as it only happens in extreme window sizing which makes the page un-viewable anyway (correct me if I'm wrong).
Obviously I would like to get it sorted anyway. I will of course post my findings here.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions of where to start looking? I have tried changing various settings in my theme css, cannot find any size settings elsewhere really.??

Form is loading...