Recent Topics

1 Apr 09, 2008 07:47    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Ok,I've run into an interesting problem with uploading blog posts directly from word 2007. With a little checking I found it easy to set up Word to connect with the blog site, but when I tried to publish, Word logged on for a minuite then returned an error message. The interesting thing is when I logged onto my blog directly, I found that a new post had been created, but the post was blank.

Now I'm not sure that's enough information for a proper diagnosis, but I'm a bit new and unsure the proper methods for gathering the necessary information. Any advice drawn from similar errors, or advice on how to better identify the error would be appreciated.

Thank You.

2 Apr 09, 2008 20:52

B-Navigator -

Welcome to the b2evo forum! :D

I've got to say, when I read "upload blog posts directly from Word 2007", I went ... yuck! But, I only have and use Word 2000, so maybe a lot has changed in 7 years?

The problem I see is that Word really isn't good at generating good, clean HTML code (and I'm curious about how you connected. I wonder if I could connect from my Word 2000 or if it's some new, enhanced feature?)

One place to check would be your server logs. The connection from word to your web server should be there and if there's any connection errors, you'd see it.

That it made a post is a good sign. Are you trying to save a fully formatted post? (Try a test with plain text, just to minimize the variables).

I'm urious to hear more about the steps to make a Word connection, but I've got to think there's a better way to craft a post locally and get it uploaded than to use Microsoft Word.

3 Apr 09, 2008 22:51

stk wrote:

B-Navigator -

Welcome to the b2evo forum! :D

I've got to say, when I read "upload blog posts directly from Word 2007", I went ... yuck! But, I only have and use Word 2000, so maybe a lot has changed in 7 years?

The problem I see is that Word really isn't good at generating good, clean HTML code (and I'm curious about how you connected. I wonder if I could connect from my Word 2000 or if it's some new, enhanced feature?)

One place to check would be your server logs. The connection from word to your web server should be there and if there's any connection errors, you'd see it.

That it made a post is a good sign. Are you trying to save a fully formatted post? (Try a test with plain text, just to minimize the variables).

I'm urious to hear more about the steps to make a Word connection, but I've got to think there's a better way to craft a post locally and get it uploaded than to use Microsoft Word.

Well, going through the server logs looks like it'll take a little while, but on doing some double checking I realised that while Word wasn't properly connecting with the new blog I made, it can open and upload to and from the sample blog I renamed earlier. So the error is something in the new blog created.
Oh, and as for the setup with Word, basically you ask word to open a new document, specify a blog post, and it will open this dialog box:
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9254/wordblog2aj1.jpg
(I took a screenshot and did a quick paint over my personal data)
Fill in the data, click OK, and it will log on then ask which blog to pick. As to how the code comes out, I haven't checked yet - I was simply looking into a few different option for blog editing(I was looking at word because I understood that it really simplified image handling).

4 Apr 09, 2008 23:53

B-Nav,

Thanks for the info. As I suspected, it's not an option in Word 2000 (dang ... and to think my next upgrade will be to Open Office ... I'm tired of shelling out the big bucks to Buffalo Bill and his Redmond Raiders) :p

Sounds like you should be able to pin down the difference, if it worked on your sample blog, but not the new one. ;)

I'd be curious to hear how you make out with the "upload a Word doc via the MetaWebLog API interface to b2evo" bit! (And, if you don't settle on that, WHAT you end up with).

I'm from the old-school of b2evo and basically log in, hit the write pane and start typing (much to my frustration at times, as something is lost ... or i have to bounce back and forth to see if what I THINK I typed (formatted), is indeed what I've done!

I'd love to find something that speeds up the making of a post (mind you, my posts tend to be heavily formatted with XHTML and custom - post specific CSS ... so maybe I'm stuck).

Good luck, eh?

Form is loading...