Recent Topics

1 Jun 12, 2004 23:40    

I found this code:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/filelocation/favicon.ico">

but I can't figure out where to put it to make it work!

I have more than one site on my domain that I need favicons for... three blogs and a forum. I got the forum working but I can't get the blogs to work!

2 Jun 14, 2004 10:33

It needs to be placed in the <head> section. Depending on how your site is set up, you will probably have to add it in to the site skin you are using. At least, that is what I have done.

3 Jun 14, 2004 12:32

yup. Probably you have set skinbase() as the base for all files (in the head section), so you should add your favicon into the skins directory, too.

It might work also to use an absolute path to the favicon and put it anywhere else, even outside your own domain.

4 Jun 15, 2004 17:12

Which file in the skin? I've been trying all the files I THINK it needs to be in and have had no success.

I haven't tried locating off my domain... who allows hotlinking?

5 Jun 16, 2004 18:20

Just put in the /skins/the skin you want/_main.php, in the head section, for example L26:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

After your just have to put the favicon.ico file a the base of your site.

I haven't found a solution tu put it for all the skins, you just have to write it in each _main.php file.

You can put the favicon file in a folder for example, in the img folder just write:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon"  href="/img/favicon.ico" />

or in the media folder:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/media/favicon.ico" />

If you want the favicon to be skin dependent just write:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="<?php skinbase(); ?>favicon.ico" />

in the _main.php file of the skin.
And put the favicon.ico file in folder of the skin

Note: you can use other kind of image file instead of ico file. But the other kinds don't work with internet explorer so a solution is to put two favicon files for your site for example:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/png" href="/favicon.png" />

6 Jun 16, 2004 22:02

yalh wrote:

After your just have to put the favicon.ico file a the base of your site.

That's not quite correct. The favicon.ico file has to go in the skin folder (.../skins/the skin you want/), or you need to reference it with a full url. The reason is that the skins all have a "BASE" tag at the top in order to be able to grab CSS files and whatnot with relative links.

Example:
Let's say we're talking about a skin named "skin_name".

Option 1:
in skins/skin_name/_main.php...

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="./favicon.ico" />

Put the favicon here:
.../skins/skin_name/favicon.ico

Option 2:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="http://your.site.url.com/favicon.ico" />

Put favicon.ico in the root of your site.

Option 3:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="./folder/favicon.ico" />

Put favicon.ico in .../skins/skin_name/folder/favicon.ico

Option 4:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="../favicon.ico" />

Put favicon.ico in .../skins/favicon.ico (The double-period means "go up one level".)

Option 5:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="http://your.site.url.com/some/other/folder/favicon.ico" />

Put favicon.ico in [root]/some/other/folder/favicon.ico

9 Jun 17, 2004 17:23

I see a hermit crab on the first one, and a red face with tape on teh mouth for the second.

Firefox puts the favicon in teh address bar, in the favorites, and on the tab, for both of them. That's just a browser issue.

10 Jun 18, 2004 00:34

Yah that's three down and two to go!

Thanks B)

11 Mar 10, 2005 15:51

I'd like to put a favicon in the backoffice, and I've been digging around looking for the bit of code that generates the head tags for the backoffice, but I haven't found it yet.

12 Mar 10, 2005 21:03

it seems that the head tag for the backoffice is /admin/_menutop.php

13 Mar 10, 2005 21:10

Thank you! Now I've got the b2e logo for my backoffice favicon.

14 Mar 12, 2005 16:55

Ok, another question. I'd like to associate my favicon with my rss feeds. [url=http://www.vivabatista.com/2005/01/favicon_mania.html#more]Here[/url] is an explanation of the code I need to add to my feed. I could hardcode it into the feed files, but then any blogs that I add for other people will be stuck with it, too. Ideas:

1. Create new copies of the feed generating scripts and hard code the favicon in there.

2. Use skinbase()."/favicon.ico" That won't work since feeds don't use skins, right?

3. Stop asking for such inane features.

Form is loading...