Recent Topics

1 May 05, 2008 12:38    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.1

I upgraded to 2.4.1 and everything seemed to work OK. That is, until I tried to further customize my skin (it was already a modified "custom" skin). None of my attempts to customize it works. I fired up another browser and it's the same, so it's not a cookie problem.

Now, you know, the media folder for every blog is /blog/media/blogs/(blog name), but in the backoffice the default media dir (checked) is shown as /blog/media/(blog name). I copied the dirs to check if this had indeed changed, but nope, what's wrong is the label, the dir used is still the first one. Proof: when I renamed this dir, the skin switched to its default look; when I renamed it back, my original customizations reappeared.

Why is it, then, that my NEW modifications of the style.css file don't work? It's a mystery to me. I edit and edit, and nothing gets changed. I know the css file is read because when it is not found the skin reverts to the original design, but why new editings are not taken into account? Please note that this doesn't happen in just one browser.

4 May 05, 2008 23:55

When I go to your /blog url you blog is loading TWO style.css files.

The one that is loaded by default and your "other" one..
in your head you have....

<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />
	<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.lalaurette.com.ar/blog/media/blogs/all/style.css" type="text/css" />

NOTE moved to CSS etc forum

5 May 06, 2008 00:24

And why is that?

I didn't modify that bit.

I'm pretty sure, although stranger things have happened.

Could it be some automatic (and erroneous) behaviour?

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

6 May 06, 2008 00:31

style.css ( that came with the blog ) is loaded from blogs/skins/custom
You can edit _html_header.inc.php to reflect another path if you want to.

7 May 06, 2008 00:33

Well, you won't believe this.

It just disappeared on its own.

I viewed source, it was there. I went to Customize Widgets, didn't touch anything, and now it's not there. I view source and nope, it's not.

Everything SEEMS TO work. But now I'm pretty sure stranger things have NOT happened, at least in regard to my blog. :)))))

Please someone check into this, it certainly seems to be some kind of bug.

8 May 06, 2008 00:37

I don't think it's a bug

Once again... your site is loading two style.css files...
the default one headed
/* Designed by François PLANQUE - http://fplanque.net/ */

@import url(../../rsc/css/basic.css); /* Import basic styles */
@import url(../../rsc/css/img.css); /* Import standard image styles */
@import url(../../rsc/css/blog_elements.css); /* Import standard blog elements styles */
@import url(../../rsc/css/forms.css); /* Import default form styles */
@import url(../../rsc/css/comments.css); /* Import default comment styles */

and you edited style.css starting with...
@import url(/Flickr.css);

9 May 06, 2008 00:52

Yes, but why is it loading two css files? I didn't modify that line. I don't have a Free HTML widget in the header container, so I'm pretty certain that I could NOT insert that bit of code every time the blog page is generated. And now, with a simple visit to the widget config page, everything is alright. It seems a bug to me.

10 May 06, 2008 01:05

Well, you have edited your css via the media file, while css is usually/normally loaded from the skin folder

If you want to edit using the files tab in the back office try clicking on the skin folder.

or else just delete the css file you have in that media folder

11 May 06, 2008 01:32

This would depend on two things: first that "custom css per blog" is enabled, which tells it to look for style.css in media/blogs/this_blog/ folder. This seems to be the case, and I'm guessing what is happening is that the second style.css is actually the original. IT comes second and therefore is the one the browser will use.

So deleting that file or unchecking that box will get rid of the second style sheet.

To edit skins files from the Files tab requires another checkbox checked on the Global settings, but I forget which one right now. So if you don't see "Skins" with a list of your skins on the drop-down selector when you are on your Files tab, go to your Global settings tab and poke around a bit. Probably look at the "Files" subtab first?

2 style sheets is designed to let you customize a skin on a per-blog basis by the way. So like tweak a background image or change some colors a bit to help differentiate which blog your visitor is on.

12 May 06, 2008 01:54

You're right, EdB. I chose to modify my blog skin by including a style.css file in the media folder. But there's no discernible reason for the resulting web page to include both css files, so I conclude there's a misbehaviour on the part of b2evo, which is confirmed by the sudden disappearance of the duplicate link when I entered the widget config window. Maybe two different variables are being assigned, and one of them is not unassigned properly, or something like that?

I had no problem whatsoever with the Files subtab because I edit the style.css file directly from my hosting provider's interface.

Thanks for caring, you all.

13 May 06, 2008 02:10

bit wrote:

... But there's no discernible reason for the resulting web page to include both css files, so I conclude there's a misbehaviour on the part of b2evo, which is confirmed by the sudden disappearance of the duplicate link when I entered the widget config window. ...

Yes there most certainly IS a reason! Customizing a style sheet on a per blog or per user basis is (a) something you can turn on or off and (b) uses a second style sheet to get the job done. Given that a browser will follow the most recent style instruction, the "customizing" one must be second. Given that it is an option, the first one must be present.

I change header background images with a second style sheet that has only enough content to change the background image. Everything else stays the same.

If you turn off the option for custom style sheets per blog you will not have 2 style.css sheets called and the blog will use the one in your skins/yourskin/ folder.

14 May 06, 2008 02:17

Ah, but if you look at the code fragment John pasted, you'll see the customized file was the second one.

Everything seems to work fine now, but I don't know why this happened in the first place, nor how to avoid it in the future.

Both references are now there, and I must wonder if I didn't see them both before. I double-checked it, but... you know. :(

<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />
	<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.lalaurette.com.ar/blog/rsc/js/functions.js"></script>
	<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.lalaurette.com.ar/blog/rsc/js/rollovers.js"></script>
		<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.lalaurette.com.ar/blog/media/blogs/all/style.css" type="text/css" /></head>

The question is why the second file was not read properly at first, and why b2evo got it right all of a sudden. Well, yes, they're two questions.

15 May 06, 2008 09:46

The question is why the second file was not read properly at first, and why b2evo got it right all of a sudden. Well, yes, they're two questions.

May be it's your browser's cache.

16 May 06, 2008 16:29

slamp wrote:

May be it's your browser's cache.

That's probably it.

CTRL+F5 to force a reload of the style sheet after each style sheet change? Works in Firefox anyway - not sure what other browsers might need for the same function.

17 May 06, 2008 16:32

I tested it with two different browsers, but at this point I am willing to admit anything. :)

Form is loading...