Recent Topics

1 May 06, 2008 18:46    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.x

2.4.0-rc2

I am not sure if that was a very informative title, but here is what I am trying to do:

Concise Version:
I want to be able to display a single Blog Posting by itself, without it being associated (directly) with its blog.

Wordy Version:

I have created global categories that Authors can assign their postings to. Essentially, the Author has their blog space, but if they feel that a certain story is relevant to one of the existing "sitewide" categories, they can flag it as such.

For example, in my blog I write a post about GTA4 being released. Since there is a Gaming section on the site, I assign the article to the Gaming Category. Now people will see this article if they go to my normal blog space where they diligently read me every day, OR they can also see the article by clicking on the Gaming section.

This is where my question comes in (almost). I have the page which pulls any article from any blog that has been assigned to the specific category (let's stick with "Gaming" for this example). So, my GTA4 article is at the top of the page, with Fred's "Mario" writeup, Sue's review of a new controller and the other items that make up the Gaming category.

My problem is that when the reader clicks on the link to view the "article detail" page... well, how do I make this detail page? I can just do a custom query which pulls the article details, no trouble, but I was kind of hoping to use the b2evo automatic article layout (user accounts, comments, login, page-breaks, RSS, tags, etc). I have modified blog skin pages, but b2evo keeps forcing me into a blog (whoever wrote that article) rather than just showing the article. I don't want my layout for the author's minisites to show for these sections. I want the Games layout or Music layout, etc.

1. Should I be creating a special blog for Gaming and somehow associate the posts with that blog?

2. Is there some way I can just access the story without being "pushed" into the blog? (ie games.php?story=gta-4-released)

3. Should I just brute force it and make my own versions of the b2evo functionality?

I guess it comes down to: is this a skinning issue, a coding issue, or...?

Sorry that was so long - any help is appreciated.

2 May 06, 2008 21:05

Maybe a better way to put this is:

If I have a blank PHP page residing within a b2evolution installation, what would I have to add to my page in order to start using some of the b2evo classes?

Example:

$Item->author

or

if( ! is_logged_in() )

3 May 07, 2008 14:07

In case anyone is keeping score, I have added:

// ************************* EVO INCLUDES *****************************
require_once dirname(__FILE__).'/conf/_config.php';
require_once $inc_path.'_main.inc.php';
// Asynchronous processing options that may be required on any page
require_once $inc_path.'_async.inc.php';
//**********************************************************************

and am able to use login and other classes related to the user. I will be trying to add post/comments today.

Form is loading...