Recent Topics

1 Jul 10, 2008 19:09    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.2 Modified Pixelgreen

The title says it all. Is a calendar a popular requirement for blog readers? They seem to be on most blog templates.

Personally, I rarely if ever look at, or use, the calendar if there is one on a blog. Does it also have some use that I am not aware of (sorry - complete newbie at blog stuff).

The reason i ask, is that I would like to get rid of the calendar on the blog I am designing and replace it with Google Adsense. I was thinking of using some space in the side bar for this, but it is a bit crammed if I want to have it above the fold or whatever it is called?

TIA

2 Jul 10, 2008 20:32

arjay wrote:

Personally, I rarely if ever look at, or use, the calendar if there is one on a blog. Does it also have some use that I am not aware of (sorry - complete newbie at blog stuff).

Me neither :D .... bugger,I think that makes me a newb :(

¥

3 Jul 10, 2008 21:53

Me neither :D .... bugger,I think that makes me a newb :(

¥

Hmm - 9 posts versus 3800 or something. Sounds like I am going to be a learner for ever then <g>

4 Jul 10, 2008 22:53

A calendar is great if your booking a ticket to ride but in a world of instant RSS, short time availability etc etc, I can hardly see a punter who reads you blog clicking the calendar as a way to get to what they want.

Features such as Search, Archives, Recent Post, Recent Comments etc come way before a calendar for visitors.

5 Jul 10, 2008 23:51

I never liked the calendars and always remove the widget. I can see that it would makes sense for a real personal or technical diary with long blog entries, but I think it's useless for the normal blog.

6 Jul 11, 2008 02:46

I think the calendar is one of the stupidest things ever thrown on a blog that for some reason keeps getting duplicated by everyone and their brother because (here it comes) everyone else has a calendar so a calendar must be cool to have.

No: there is nothing to the calendar other than a semi-graphical archive retrieval tool.

hmmm... Actually come to think of it there is one groovy benefit to a calendar: you will get your money's worth from your host because it will send a rather large collection of (mostly useless) bytes down the pipe to build a table with a handful of links in it each time a visitor loads a page.

7 Jul 11, 2008 07:45

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it is OK to remove it. BTW - I get the sense from a couple of replies that it is linked to posts. That is, click on a date and you get that date's posts? If that is the case, then I suppose there is a use for it. But since I never even knew that, it would not have worked for this Dumbo :oops:

8 Jul 11, 2008 07:56

Actually it would have worked because all you, as the blogger, have to do is post stuff. It figures out what days get stuff linked. It is up to your visitors to know to click on whatever day.

BTW I actually like calendars on some of the comics I read because I can launch a few weeks worth of comics in new tabs then read 'em without having to read click read click.

But still: calendars are pretty much lame bloatage.

9 Jul 11, 2008 08:02

Ah - so what you are saying is: all I have to do is rely on my readers being more intelligent than I am. :D
Thant's OK then.........

10 Jul 11, 2008 08:11

That buggers me then, most of my readers are myspace users :roll:

¥

Form is loading...