Recent Topics

1 Sep 02, 2008 05:30    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

When I am in the admin dashboard creating a post, how can I browse the users directories for photos they may have uploaded?

Currently the way I have my blog setup is so that many users may upload photos. They are all placed in media/users/<username>

When I am the admin and I am creating a post, I use the 'Files' button which gives me the File Browser to select images. By default the root is always my own users directory, and I can't seem to see other peoples users directories. When I click the little drop down menu, I see User Roots and Special Roots, but my user is the only one under the list.

I tried poking around in the file root class and it's more complex that I hoped. Is there a simple way to allow me to browse all the users directories from this file browser interface?

Thanks in advance.

3 Sep 02, 2008 15:49

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but your post should help me explain my problem better.

In your post, the only "User roots" that shows up is 'admin'.

Yes you have many "Blog roots" to choose from. I have a dozen users or so, but still only 'admin' shows up under the "User roots". Just like you have many blogs to choose from, I expect to have many users to choose from, but this is not the case.

Is this a permissions problem on my part, a setup problem on my part, or a 'feature'?

Thanks again

4 Sep 02, 2008 16:12

It's a "feature" ... admin can look at all blog roots but not all user roots

¥

5 Sep 02, 2008 17:16

Is this something I can fix?

If so, any directions would be greatly appreciated.

6 Sep 02, 2008 17:17

Not easily and not without hacking the core files.

¥

*edit*
Having said that, you could code a plugin that ignored all the rules and showed you the files.

7 Sep 03, 2008 01:13

Unfortunately, I am dangerous enough to do the hack but not savvy enough to do the plugin.

How difficult would you estimate it would be to do the plugin? If I have never created one before but I'm a quick learner. Are we talking an hour or a day?

My configuration is getting messy having to copy everyones pictures to the admin folder and remember where they came from so that I can access them in posts and refer to them afterward.

Honestly, I already tried hacking this, but like I said, this whole file root stuff is more complicated that I had imagined. I would have thought there is just a line somewhere that says something like:

userRoot = /media/users/$user/

or something of the sort, and I could just hack it to be something like:

if $user = admin
userRoot = /media/users/
else
userRoot = /media/users/$user/

8 Sep 03, 2008 01:17

I just thought of something else...

Would it be possible for me to change the upload so that when users upload files it goes into a subdirectory of my admin directory? This would solve the problem as well.

For example, $user wants to upload a picture which goes into:

/media/users/admin/$user/

Instead of

/media/users/$user/

9 Sep 03, 2008 10:41

Here's something that may work. Create a new blog and then wander over to the url settings and change the media dir to "custom location". Set the location to /media/users/ ( and the url to http://domain.com/media/users/ ) .... cross your fingers and hit save ;)

¥

10 Sep 06, 2008 08:44

Excuse me for adding 'nothing' very late in the game, but NEVER should ID#1 be excluded from anything unless ID#1 selects to be excluded from whatever. If "the admin" opts to use ID#2 then too bad: this all-mighty permission level should be reserved for ID#1 because the only person who can be ID#1 is the installer.

If ID#1 had unlimited powers then the initial problem would never have happened. That is to say, images uploaded to the account paths of individual bloggers would have been available to ID#1 ... as well as anything uploaded to a blog-identified folder.

Never ever ever should ID#1 lose permissions unless ID#1 says "I do not mind losing this/these permissions". Just my humble opinion ;)

11 Sep 06, 2008 22:19

Just as an update, I haven't fully resolved this issue, but my workaround solution is now at least manageable as by blog grows. My workaround being to move the users uploaded directories to the admin users media directory in a manual process. This allows me to browse their files and not have to organize them any further.

Note for anyone who tries to follow in this direction, this won't work too well if your users are continuously uploading files as you will soon have two directories for them and will have to do some additional managing. This isn't (yet) a problem for my blog since users typically only do a single upload, and thus I only need to move their directory once.

I'm not positive I fully understood what EdB was aiming at in his post, but I think I agree with what I did understand. ID#1 should not be limited in access to other users directories. Perhaps this is something that could get worked into a future release. But for me, I am satisfied for now and don't intend on pursing this any further. Thanks for all your help.

Form is loading...