Recent Topics

1 Dec 04, 2008 00:29    

Hello.

I'm looking at the code in '_blog.class.php'.

In a nutshell, what determines which to use -- is it mainly whether or not to make use of a variable within the Global scope or not? :?:

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I think I figured it out - at least enough to choose and make it work.

2 Dec 04, 2008 10:08

What exactly are you trying to do?

¥

3 Dec 04, 2008 10:38

Hi ¥åßßå and thanks for your reply.

I am nearly finished moving the 'New users can register' from Global Settings to Blog Settings. I was trying to figure out which one of the 'set' functions to use.

Based on the error message I saw by just trying each out, it appears that set() applies to [hardcoded] fields in the database whereas the set_setting() is 'data' in '_coll_settings' table. Because I didn't want to revise the DB structure, I went with the '_coll_settings' table. So far, so good.

Now, I'm stuck because - maybe it has to do with my using set_setting() instead of altering the database and using set() --

I can't seem to pull data from the '_coll_settings' table from within 'user.funcs.php' although the b2evo distro file contains '$edited_Blog' in the global statement, etc. Essentially, it doesn't recognize the '$edited_Blog->get_setting('...') method even though it recognizes say, '$edited_Blog->get_('url')' after I added the construct '$edited_Blog = & new Blog( NULL);'

I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with the fact that set() seems to put data into the $GLOBALS realm...( :?: )

WOW -- after all of that work, too... :'(

Right now, I'm too tired to figure it out... it's 4:30 a.m. here...

So that's it in a nutshell. I'm going to bed...have a long day tomorrow (today).

Thanks again.

4 Dec 04, 2008 11:44

You do realise that once a user registers it's kinda a blog wide thing? Which is probably why it's a system setting in the first place.

¥

5 Dec 04, 2008 13:07

Hi again. I'm still up...

Can you clarify a bit about what you said re: once a user registers, it becomes blog-wide, please? :?: I'm still in the learning stages. If I understand what you said, I may need to add a conditional routine to permissions.

FYI - I'm in the process of creating an on/off switch in admin so I can disable registration if it gets out of hand for a particular blog. Then for some blogs, I may not allow the blog's admin to have users register themselves until that admin or that blog meets some type of criteria.

Thanks.

6 Dec 04, 2008 22:23

oooook, when a user registers, they register for your whole b2evolution system, irrelevant of which blog allowed them to register ... which is probably why it's a global setting.

¥

7 Dec 05, 2008 10:11

¥åßßå wrote:

oooook, when a user registers, they register for your whole b2evolution system, irrelevant of which blog allowed them to register ... which is probably why it's a global setting.

¥

Thanks for your reply, ¥åßßå.

What I'd like is to be able to tell is which 'door' (blog) each new member is entering through so I can customize that entry.

For example, if the Blog A admin wants to offer an incentive for registration, I don't want it to interfere with Blog B's admin's incentives.

Also, if I see folks entering via the Blog C e.g. based upon where Blog C's admin is advertising Blog C, I want to be able to shut that registration door without it affecting Blog A and B and/or give that blog's admin the ability to fix the problem before other actions are taken.

This 'door entry system' also provides me/blog's admin with the ability to dictate which User Group the user gets assigned to automatically based upon the door entered.

Make sense? Is there anything preventing the execution of this logic? :?:

Thanks.

8 Dec 05, 2008 15:09

It certainly makes a kind of sense.

If you can make it work the way you want then go for it, there's nothing better out there ;)

¥

9 Dec 06, 2008 02:20

¥åßßå wrote:

It certainly makes a kind of sense.

If you can make it work the way you want then go for it, there's nothing better out there ;)

¥

Thanks so much, ¥åßßå.

If I can get past this, http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=17364, I might be able to get this done. :-/

Form is loading...