Recent Topics

1 Dec 10, 2008 18:14    

My b2evolution Version: 0.9.x

I have acquired the task of moving our blog from the current hosting company (hosted by a company at another company) and place it with our website. It is (hopefully) easier to keep it all connected at one hosting company with me maintaining it all.

So, what I know so far...
We have a website: www.teambuildinginc.com
Our blog is currently at: http://blog.teambuildinginc.com/blog/
I created a subdomain called: blog.teambuildinginc.com

I modified the skin that the previous people had (needed to be updated to match the rest of the site.)
The files they provided to me are:
Folder: blog (with many subfolders - skin is under here)
Folder: data (two files - appear to be spam blocking words)
Folder: php (1 file called formmail.php)
index.html (dummy page that is a blank)

I uploaded these folders and files to the folder:
http://blog.teambuildinginc.com/blog/

Nothing changed on my blog online.
I told b2evolution to go tot he folder http://blog.teambuildinginc.com/blog/
to view my blog.

What else do I need to do? What am I missing to get it updated?

Thank you!
Cathryn

2 Dec 10, 2008 18:21

I'm lost as to what your actual question is

1) what's the new url for your blog ( where are you trying to get it to live )
2) what is the problem you're actually seeing

As for the old files /data/ && /php/ are nothing to do with evo ( nor is the root index.html )

¥

3 Dec 10, 2008 18:25

Question....Why isn't it working? What didn't I do?

Our blog is currently at: http://blog.teambuildinginc.com/blog/
I would like to keep that same address.
Therefore, I created a subdomain called: blog.teambuildinginc.com
I then created a folder under teambuildinginc.com called blog and dropped my files in there. in the b2e settings I told it to go to that folder to read my files.

No workie. Lost at next steps. I shouldn't see big ugly purple buttons on the left nav of my blog. They should be black text with a red line under them.

4 Dec 10, 2008 18:33

Ok, it's the "no workie" bit that's throwing my head, are the garish purple buttons what used to be on your old site?

Also, I know you've created the sub domain, but I assume you've also changed the dns records to stop pointing at the old server ... I also assume this happened more than 48 hours ago? ( can take that long to filter through this tinterweb beast )

¥

5 Dec 10, 2008 18:37

The big ugly purple is old bad website that got updated. You said some key items...I need to change dns records. didn't go there or do that. so that seems to be where I need to be right now. I need to work on them to make it happen.

does everything else seem right for what I did. I just missed the dns part.

6 Dec 10, 2008 18:40

*if* you've transferred the folders ( as above ), and the database, and you've slapped the correct connection details in /blog/conf/_basic_config.php ... then it sounds like it's just because you've forgotten to change the subdomain dns record ( should [currently] be pointing at old servers ip ) ... be aware, it really can take 48 hours to filter through

Be good to see you drop the 70's buttons :D

¥

7 Dec 10, 2008 18:43

Thank you so much!

Where do I change the dns records?

They hosted it at a company. I want to host it now, so I created the sub-domain from my main website. Is there more than just sub-domain creation that is needed?

Thank you!

Yes, I'm very happy to see the 70s buttons gone!

8 Dec 10, 2008 18:45

Wow, just checked, you really are running a 0.9.x version ... you *really* wanna upgrade, life becomes far easier once you hit 2.4.5 ;)

Also, if you're bothered about seo, I'd move your new blog up to blog.domain.com/ and then just redirect all old /blog/ urls ( 301 ) upwards, usually gains an instant pr point ;) ..... you also need to change a config file ( the equivalent of /con/_basic.config.php ) ... but I'm buggered if I know what it was called in the stoneage ( probably /conf/_config.php ;) )

¥

9 Dec 10, 2008 18:47

Normally, if you create a sub domain through your websites control panel, everything is groovy, but ... you must already have an existing redirect, so check your control panels redirects, if there's one for "sub.domain.com" then just delete it.

If you still can't find it then you *might* be using a 3rd party dns ... you can tell by your nameservers

¥

10 Dec 10, 2008 18:49

That was all a different language to me. :'(

How do I upgrade? We acquired the website and blog last year. This is all new to me still. It was tossed in my lap...hence why all the questions about the blogs. I never dealt with them before.

Yes, we are concerned about the seo world.

the blog is already at a blog.teambuildinginc.com address. so do i have to get that transfered from the other company to my hosting company? is that part of my problem? I feel that is what I am getting from our talks. That really there is a domain out there, not just a subdomain.

11 Dec 10, 2008 18:58

Oook, blogs are no different to normal web pages ... sorta

Upgrading is easy, but I advise you do it on a test installation first because you've got a huge version leap to make ( none of it is difficult, just upgrading will break everything you know )

DNS is a smidge of a beast though ... somewhere in your domains control panel you'll have records for the dns of the subdomain ... the same one that you used to move the website to your new company in the first place .... you need to undo the redirect to the old server

Sorry, know that's clear as mud but without seeing your dns setup it's a smidge hard to guess where to point you

¥

*edit*
That assumes that the main domain ( http://teambuildinginc.com/ ) is on the new server already ( rackspace? )

12 Dec 10, 2008 19:02

"upgrading will break everything you know" ...no worries. I don't know anything (obviousl from my questions).

Here is the fun thing with the dns. I only was provided files from the web company. They had the blog hosted some place. I then created the subdomain on my own at the company where my main website is located.

What I still feel is that there is a domain called:
blog.teambuildinginc.com

I need to get the rights to this domain from the webcompany that was hosting my website.

Thanks again!

13 Dec 10, 2008 19:13

In that case, go the whole hog and upgrade ;)

Somewhere there is a record that says "blog.comain.com" == "old server" ... *usually* your dns records are controlled by your domains nameservers so that's where I'd be looking to change.

How did you get domain.com pointed to your new server in the first place? ( liable to be the same place )

¥

14 Dec 10, 2008 19:42

I had my domain (teambuildinginc.com) hosted at hostcentric.com already. I have had that and known about that without a problem.

Within the last couple of weeks, the web company that updated our blog skins contact me and said, opps we forgot to charge you for the last year. To which I said, I'd love to host the blog myself opposed to paying the hosting fee and your fee to "maintain" the blog. They sent me the files they had. They had the blog hosted at theplanet.com (from what I can tell).

And, when I stated "the blog" I don't know what that means 100%. When I view my account at hostcentric, I don't have a subdomain. I only have my teambuildinginc.com domain. So, today, I created a subdomain (blog.teambuildinginc.com).

Should I not have created the subdomain? Is there a main domain called blog.teambuildinginc.com that needs to be transfered over to my hostcentric account?

I think I may need to call web company to find out what they have and know.

Thanks, again!

15 Dec 10, 2008 19:52

To be honest, to help you much further I'd probably need the login details from everywhere you can think of ... up to you how you feel about that, you can pm me with them by hitting the handy lil pm button at the bottom of this post.

Just so you know, I'm in a smidge of a different timezone than you,so don't expect an immediate reply/solution

If you need help faster than that, then try pm'ing any of the mods on here ( chances are they'll need the same login urls/ details though )

Try the web company first though, they may know where it is you need to make the change ;)

¥

16 Dec 10, 2008 20:00

Thank you very much for all of your assistance. I am going to contact the web company that had the blog previously. I am hoping they can point me in the right direction.

Thank you again for all of your assistance.

17 Dec 10, 2008 20:01

no worries, lets hope you kill those tacky buttons soon :D

¥

Form is loading...