Recent Topics

1 Jan 10, 2009 00:04    

I am wanting to put short text items into sidebars--frequently and in about a half-dozen blogs. These would include very short posts and event reminder notices. I would especially like to feature selected related posts from other blogs in my group in this way, displaying title and teaser/summary.

Can linkblogs be persuaded to do this? So far, I can only get the title of a post in a linkblog to show up in the sidebar of its linked-to blog, not the post text itself. And if the linkblog post is designated as "post" type, the title is not a link; if designated "link" type, it opens the linkblog, which I don't want. I'd like to import the whole linkblog post, or the post up to !M. (Even if I could do that, I'd still need to find a way to "pull in" specific posts from other blogs. And keep a half-dozen non-public linkblogs to control the sidebars of the public blogs.)

Multiple "free html" widgets in each sidebar with text inserted (and changed) manually each time will work--but seems soooo cumbersome.

Have also tried the "post lists" widget, which also displays the linkblog post title, albeit formatted differently, in target blog's sidebar.

Is there an efficient way to get my desired result? Or to get parts of it by different means? I'd rather not default to the multiple "free html" solution unless there is really nothing better...

2 Jan 10, 2009 19:23

I don't want you to think you're being ignored.

There's no "native" way to do this, but it is possible

¥

3 Jan 10, 2009 19:38

Thanks for your response, ¥åßßå.

Any top-of-the-head suggestions about where some experimentation MIGHT prove fruitful?

4 Jan 11, 2009 09:11

The way we solved a similar request for a client was to create a "featured posts" blog ( that has several feature type" categories ).

We then cross-post any relevant posts into the relevant featured categories.

In the skin we then called our plugin and it returns the list of posts from the relevant featured category(s). It also has the ability to chop the posts content at a given number of words.

You'd need to do something similar except you'd want to just slap the "output" part into function SkinTag()

¥

5 Feb 06, 2009 09:41

Hi there.

I"ve had a similar problem. In previous versions of b2e I was able to put words, pictures and the link in the linkblog and all appeared in the sidebar. Nothing special was done.

However, I'm now using the new version and only the title of the post and the link appears. Which is not what I want.

I'm trying to fix the problem, but I thought it would be a simple thing considering it was in a previous version. Thoughts?

g

6 Feb 06, 2009 10:23

You'd need to hack inc/widgets/model/_widget.class.php and uncomment the content teaser part ( approx 589 ) :

/**
		 * @var ItemLight
		 */
		while( $Item = & $LinkblogList->get_category_group() )
		{
			// Open new cat:
			echo $this->disp_params['item_start'];
			$Item->main_category();
			echo $this->disp_params['group_start'];

while( $Item = & $LinkblogList->get_item() )
			{
				echo $this->disp_params['item_start'];

$Item->title( array(
						'link_type' => $link_type,
					) );

/*
				$Item->content_teaser( array(
						'before'      => '',
						'after'       => ' ',
						'disppage'    => 1,
						'stripteaser' => false,
					) );

$Item->more_link( array(
						'before'    => '',
						'after'     => '',
						'link_text' => T_('more').' »',
					) );
				*/

echo $this->disp_params['item_end'];
			}

¥

7 Feb 18, 2009 14:32

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I uncommented the teaser section, but it just crashed b2e :(

Any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

g

Form is loading...