Recent Topics

1 Jan 18, 2009 04:29    

I've got a post which is protected - selected Protected (Members only) under Visibility / Sharing. I want users who register and become default 'Basic Users' to be able to see this post and add comments.

I don't understand the difference between these two terms, they sound like the same thing, but my 'test' basic user cannot see that protected post. I can't find any place in the User Management section that allows me to give that view/post comment permission to my basic users.

Can anyone help? I'm very confused!

Thanx!

CR

2 Jan 18, 2009 04:46

Someone who registers on your blog is a member, but that doesn't mean you want them to have access to all your blog posts. It also doesn't mean you want them to be able to post stuff. So "member" simply means 'signed up'. After that you have to decide what permissions they get. If your newly registered members get put into the group called "basic users" then they will inherit the permissions of the "basic users" group.

Now let's shift gears a bit. If on the blog settings for (lets say) blog #12 you check the box for "Use advanced perms" then on the "group permissions" subtab that shows up you make 'basic users' be a 'member of' that blog then each newly registered member of the installation will also be a member of that particular blog ... and will therefore be able to see content posted as 'protected'.

Can they post stuff? ONLY if you give that group permission to post stuff! Oh and by the way sometimes individual permissions will put restrictions on what the group permissions claim so it gets a little complicated...

Basically one must dig on the idea that being "a registered member of the installation" is not the same as being a "member or the blog". To see a protected post one must be a "member of the blog", which first requires being a "member of the installation".

Hope it helps!

3 Jan 18, 2009 05:49

Hey, Ed,

Thanx for your swift reply. I'll look into this right away. It's a bit difficult getting my head around all of this - thank goodness for the evo community!

Cheers,

CR

4 Jan 18, 2009 05:55

Ahhhhhhhh - NOW I see it! So my user becomes a member, and that's how the permissions are related. Gawd, I'd never have figured that out.

Is it me, or are the docs a little, dare I say, sparse?

Cheers,

CR

5 Jan 18, 2009 07:25

i wouldnt say they are little, they were pretty comprehensive at the time, but they are currently outdated like some of the blonde developers

6 Feb 16, 2009 20:55

EdB wrote:

Oh and by the way sometimes individual permissions will put restrictions on what the group permissions claim so it gets a little complicated...

Hello.

I plan to have multiple blog owners and I'm trying to figure out a way that one doesn't step on the toes of another, but based on the quoted statement here, there could be some issues(?).

If I interpret it correctly, if the user is a member of a user group, and one blog owner wants to provide either additional permissions or remove certain permissions even temporarily without changing that member's group, you're saying the entire group can inherit those changes? If so, wow... :'(

Is this a correct interpretation or not?

Thanks in advance.

Form is loading...