Recent Topics

1 Jan 28, 2009 03:59    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I have just set up b2evo two days ago and the email verification system doesn't send out emails to any of the users attempting to sign up for my blog. I have no idea how to fix this! please help!

-Arthur

2 Jan 28, 2009 04:02

Are you sure it is not sending? Meaning perhaps the emails are being blocked by spam traps. To test you could set up a new email on your domain and then register with the new email. Since you control the new email you simply make sure it is not using any spam filtering of any kind.

Another thought is that maybe your server isn't willing to send out an email because it is very old-school and would prefer that "you kids stop sending emails from my lawn" ... or something like that.

Actually BTW I've no idea how to tell if a server is grumpy or not, but I'm most certain that some server configurations get uptight about automagically generated emails. So the "you register with an email that will have no spam filtering" is a pretty good test.

Edit: oh and what version of b2evolution are you using? It might help the smart folk figure out the root of all evil is the thing.

3 Jan 28, 2009 04:10

wow thank you edb for your quick reply!

2.4.6 released on 01/12/09 is my version of b2evo.

I have sent a validation to my domain email and received it. Is there a way to not get my validation emails clumped with spam? I have only tested my validation emails on two hotmail accounts and it doesnt even end up in the spam folder.

EDIT: I have also created a yahoo account and tested the verification on that and nothing ends up in the spam filter either. Anyone know whats going on?

4 Jan 28, 2009 13:23

Let's hope someone who really focused on this comes along because all I know is "check your spam trap".

If I recall correctly, b2evolution uses two different methods to send emails so that was once upon a time part of the problem. Another issue is that different server configurations can sometimes cause one or the other method to not send. So it's complicated ... and as a rule something only those who suffer from it will really focus on. I tried for a while out of curiosity but couldn't keep up with it.

Sorry friend, but I got nothing else to offer here.

5 Jan 28, 2009 13:52

i guess ill have to flip off my email verification until some one figures it out. Thank you EdB for the quick reply and for giving it your best shot.

If it helps anyone figure it out I use a host called free-space dot net. Like EbD said maybe that host is the problem? The support on their forum is attrocious but it is free so all the help i receive (on a timely basis or if at all) will be from the B2evo forum.

Thanks in advance

7 Jan 28, 2009 18:57

Ok i followed the link, dled swift, changed the name to /swift/ , now what? it doesn't say what to do for b2evo version 2.4.6 and im really worried about screwing up the site. what should i do?

8 Jan 28, 2009 20:24

HitBDCman wrote:

I have sent a validation to my domain email and received it.

What was the from address ? was it any-account@your-domain.tld ? or something else like "any-account@third-part-domain.tld" ?

¥

9 Jan 28, 2009 23:19

specifically its Arthur_Solomon@third-party.tld

There is an underscore between the Arthur and solomon.

Thank you for taking time to help me out.

*edit*
removed email to stop you getting spam ;)

¥

10 Jan 28, 2009 23:44

Swift has problems if you send mail TO a hotmail account. Try a 'normal' email as recipient.

Good luck

11 Jan 29, 2009 00:06

i havent actually changed anything for swift yet. Thats what i need help with. What is a "normal" email? Is yahoo a normal email because i have attempted to send a verification email (using whatever the stock version is that comes with b2evo) and recieved nothing as well.

Id finish the install for swift but the link has no info for version 2.4.6 so i dont know what to do with it and if i'm supposed to edit a different code or something i dont wanna have any downtime trying to fix it (which for me would take forever)

12 Jan 29, 2009 11:27

HitBDCman wrote:

specifically its Arthur_Solomon@third-party.tld

There is an underscore between the Arthur and solomon.

Thank you for taking time to help me out.

What happens if you change the from address to one that's on your domain name ?

¥

13 Jan 29, 2009 13:32

if i use my domain name i get an email verification. Hotmail and yahoo do not receive email verification through b2's stock verification system.

Is there a way I can use my hotmail account or yahoo account to send the email verification? Because i am slightly confused on the last part of the swift installation.

14 Jan 29, 2009 14:11

I don't mean send an email to your domain, I meant try changing the email address that they're sent from to one that's on your domain and then see if yahoo / hotmail receive them ;)

¥

15 Jan 29, 2009 16:47

oh.....

how do i do that : o

16 Jan 29, 2009 17:06

urm, god knows, but I'll have a good guess :D

either by changing $notify_from ( probably in /conf/_basic.config.php ), or by changing the email in your admin profile

¥

17 Jan 30, 2009 05:13

i cant find $notify_from and i have changed the email in my admins profile.

I guess im forced to just leave email validation off and assume the problem lies with the host im using.

Thanks all for you help though i really do appreciate it i was really surprised to get this many people interested in helping some one out, especially someone as noob as me : P

18 Jan 31, 2009 18:10

Sorry, that was me free-typing from memory, change the email address in this section of /conf/_basic_config.php to one that's from your domain

/**
 * This is used only to create the Admin account.
 * @todo move to installer.
 */
$admin_email = 'postmaster@localhost';

What I *think* is happening is that your emails are being rejected because the IP of your server doesn't match the IP of the "from" domains server and / or your server will only send emails if either the from or the to is an email on your domain

¥

Form is loading...