Recent Topics

1 Feb 13, 2009 11:28    

For those of you that don't know BOPIT is a plugin that allows you to see if your current plugins are up to date or not when browsing your blogs admin screen. It also has a list of all available plugins complete with download links. Once again this is done in your own blogs admin. You can read all about it here : [url=http://b2evo.astonishme.co.uk/bopit]Keep Up-to-Date with BOPIT[/url]

Some time in the near future I'm going to be doing a recode of BOPIT, some of it will just be code improvements but I was also thinking of adding some new features, based on a servers ability to handle them, and I thought I'd give y'all a chance to have your say about any features / changes you'd also like. The current changes I'm considering are here ( [url=http://innervisions.org.uk/technical-shit/2009/02/improving-bopit]Tech blogrum[/url] ), if your BOPIT dev then I'd prefer to keep the dev half of the discussion on that thread and leave this one for the user side of things.

What I'd like to hear from the users is any features or changes they'd like to see regarding the way that BOPIT currently works in their admin area. Some ideas are :

1) adding bopit to the dashboard instead of the tools tab
2) showing more information about the available plugins
3) email/visual warnings if an installed ( and enabled ) plugin has a security fix available

All suggestions welcomed

¥

2 Feb 13, 2009 11:53

I'll bite. ( Not being a "dev".)

I like updates highlighted in my Dashboard...
however.. under the "Reason" table, it would be handy to get a "Critical...Update Now" sort of message, if required, that accompanies/or not, the current short sentence that describes a recent "tweak".
Things are updated for "security", "bug fixes" or "enhancements" purposes and it would be nice to know which one it is for us lazy types.

Bobit rocks and anything that makes it better is cool.

3 Feb 13, 2009 12:20

Being a bopit playa, when I bother to update a plugin I'll say in my bopit update what's the deal ... which means you should see what's the deal. You won't see something like a form field emphasizing "OMG SECURITY PEW PEW PEW" but for my updates I'll say something like

updating because I crave traffic

or maybe

this sucked if you had foo so don't sweat updating if you had bar

More to the point: "security" isn't probably maybe a very common reason to update a plugin. Fixing flaws, adding features, becoming compatible with a new version: I think most plugins are updated for these low level issues. So the plugin author who embraces bopit needs to give a clear reason for their update.

OT (where the O means "on"): when you see an update for my creativecommons thing it'll be due to creative commons having new locales on their side. How critical that is depends on you eh? My forumlatest hack-job has a super-important update IF it wasn't working for your situation. So if it was working do you care? The point being it is my job to provide a clear explanation of what the update is about. Each user can then decide for themselves what to do with the info.

OTOH (where O means "on" and T means "the" and O changes stride to mean "other" and H means "hockey puck"): given ¥åßßå's item 3, I should go play in the appropriate space for devs. :)

EDIT: okay never mind. The bopit account and the dev thread account are in different places. Too much for my simple mind :(

4 Feb 13, 2009 12:50

Clue : Formica ;)

Either place is cool for feedback, I just thought it'd help if we didn't overload users with code suggestions ;)

Adding a dropdown for basic "update reason" ++ the current information box would be an easy upgrade so the chances are that something like that will happen.

It'd be nice to come up with a method of being able to add non-critical updates for things like "new locales" which didn't actually mark the plugin as OOD ( where O means Out and then goes way Off and gets a Date ). Any changes to a plugins code should automatically mark it as OOD.

To add something that Afwas posted on the other thread, it would be nice if the info/reason box also gave some sort of revision list. This *should* cover the "this fixes bug foo .... if you have bug foo" type of updates.

¥

5 Feb 13, 2009 12:55

¥åßßå wrote:

Clue : Formica ;)

RING RING RING

Me: hello? (yeah: when the phone rings I don't believe it so I answer with a question)

CF: doh!

Me: okay cool yeah sure thanks for calling.

CF: CLK bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(yeah that's old school. I miss that too. Like, you always knew when she hung up on you back in the day. lord I miss those days. Now I keep burning minutes begging for a "favor" :( )

6 Feb 13, 2009 13:49

Integrate with out plugins repository.

7 Feb 13, 2009 16:28

Spot the dev that didn't read the dev post ;)

¥

8 Feb 15, 2009 15:48

Heya, I don't see a whole lot that needs immediate attention in BOPIT... it's a great tool.

9 Mar 20, 2009 11:46

joebeone wrote:

Heya, I don't see a whole lot that needs immediate attention in BOPIT... it's a great tool.

yeah.. indeed.. i recommend you use your time to deal with things at higher priority.. like improving the rss reader for me :P .. really, bopit is cool, all we need to see is whether an update is available or not .. no need for funky stuff - imo ofc

10 Mar 22, 2009 11:19

The chances are that there'll be a few minor improvements in the not to distant future ;)

¥

11 Mar 22, 2009 18:15

Haven't read the thread yet :p (my younger brother is going to use the PC), but in-case it wasn't mentioned yet, an ability to download the update directly to the server? Unless I missed that feature :p

12 Mar 24, 2009 18:20

Ok, BOPIT has now had a smidge of an overhaul.

For users :
You can download the new version via itself, how cool is that?
You won't notice many changes but the tools tab now looks a smidge better and there's the start of translation packs and stuff.

I'm still considering the whole download and install/upgrade, but I'm loathe to code a plugin that requires 0777 on the majority of hosting, so that may be limited to blogs that can run 0600 ;)

For developers :
I've hopefully just made your lives a smidge easier, have a read of this post and let me know ( [url=http://innervisions.org.uk/technical-shit/2009/03/bopit-current-thoughts]BOPIT : Current thoughts[/url] ).

I'm still open to ideas for ways that it can be improved ;)

¥

13 Mar 24, 2009 20:59

Thanks for the update..
I notice it doesn't appear and list updated Plugins in the Dashboard anymore, or am I missing something so early in the mornng

14 Mar 25, 2009 06:20

John wrote:

Thanks for the update..
I notice it doesn't appear and list updated Plugins in the Dashboard anymore, or am I missing something so early in the mornng

Same here. For me, it only list itself.

15 Mar 25, 2009 08:35

I forgot about that bit, resolved and updated ;)

¥

Form is loading...