Recent Topics

1 Feb 13, 2009 12:14    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Hi folks,

I'm new to b2evolution having had a major problem with wordpress and given up on it. I've been using wordpress for a little while and love the ease of posting with a short extract and a link to the full article. In b2 this seems to be called an "extended post".

I have tried to create an extended post but when I then view the site it shows the whole article. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or help coach me through it? I'd appreciate it very much.

Regards

Andy H
www.spiritconsulting.co.uk/blogb2

2 Feb 13, 2009 12:29

Howdy ahughes3. Welcome to the tiny little piece of the internet known as "here"!

So dig this: you type the portion you want on your multi-post pages (example being the link you shared in your question here), then click the !M button. That will put something like <--readmore--> in your post. Then you type up all the groovy details that only those smart enough to click through deserve to see.

There are other ways to accomplish similar goals, but if I read you right this will be like ... um ... something you really like to you.

3 Feb 13, 2009 12:43

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply, I kinda get what your saying and have tried it but it didn't work so I'm obviously doing it in the wrong way.

What I did first
I typed in the teaser text into the main post writing box and the clicked the !M button. Then hit enter a couple of times and pasted all of the text below it. When I viewed it, the teaser text was there, with a line saying Follow Up and the rest of the text was also there.

What I did second
I pasted all of the text into the main post writing box. Then I wrote the teaser text in the "Excerpt" box lower down. Posted it and again I saw the whole thing.

I know I'm doing something obviously wrong but I need the obvious pointing out to me. I'm readily preparing to kick myself in anticipation!

Cheers

Andy

4 Feb 13, 2009 12:50

Okay cool we're on to something.

Which style are you looking for of the following options:
1. The "first bit" is visible on a multi-post page AND on the permalink page.
2. The "first bit is visible on a multi-post page BUT NOT on the permalink page.

(1) comes from the !M button. (2) comes from the ... !NT button, which stands for "no teaser" which means "no teaser visible on the permalink page" where permalink is the post and only the post on it's own page.

BTW there is a third thing you touched on but I'm not hip to how it works. Apparently there is a field where one can put a bit that goes ONLY into their syndication feeds but one must also select that situation for their feeds in order to enjoy that benefit. An example situation of this scenario might be if you want to tell syndication readers that you've updated but don't want to share your shiny new post until they visit your actual domain. So you pick this option somewhere, then when you post you add "Visit my web cuz I got new stuff you'll die if you don't read". They click and they get the permalink page.

5 Feb 13, 2009 13:01

Silly question, you are viewing an actual post and not previewing it ?

¥

6 Feb 13, 2009 13:06

I feel like I've known you for years and we've not even met :-)

I get what you mean and I definitely want to be able to display a teaser and then just the whole article (minus the teaser) on the article page.

I tried what you said out. I copied the teaser text at the top of the post writing box and the hit !NT and then hit enter twice and pasted the whole article below. You can guess what I'm going to say next can't you..............the teaser appeared on it's own, but I also got a page two that you need to click on to get the article.

So, I'm still not quite doing it right but I'm making progress..........however slow!

What am I missing? Show me the light oh gracious one!

Andy H (Blogger, misfit and general has been)

7 Feb 13, 2009 13:16

Thanks Blonde Bimbo,

In wordpress, when you preveiw, it shows you the teaser and then you click through to the main article as if it were live.

It didn't occur to me that b2 would do it a different way! I've just tried the !M style and it worked great once I'd saved the post and viewed it live.

I'm just going to try the !NT now and I suspect that'll work too. My faith in humanity and Blonde Bimbos has been monumentally restored...................until my next blogging trauma that is!

Much appreciated both to you and Ed for your help.

Take care

Andy H

8 Feb 13, 2009 13:18

¥åßßå wrote:

Silly question, you are viewing an actual post and not previewing it ?

¥

Lord how I miss seeing the obvious! Yeah preview isn't the same as actually visiting the page (either multi or single) after publishing. Preview's only benefit is that it'll show you if your post is mangled in some way that b2evo won't publish it when you choose to do that.

Getting a next page sounds like the !NP button.
* !M = makes a read more where everything you typed is on the permalink page.
* !NT = makes a read more where only the bit after the ... <--noteaser?--> is on the permalink page.
* !NP = makes a multi-page post that as far as I know can never be displayed on one entire page.

9 Feb 13, 2009 13:26

Well, it would seem I spoke to soon. I have now finished verbally assaulting myself and smacking myself against a large inanimate object (although she say's she is not inanimate!)

I managed to get the !M working where it diplays the teaser and then everything on the click through link.

However, it doesn't seem to do the same when I try it with the !NT button. I created the teaser text, pressed the !NT button, hit enter twice, pasted the whole article in and saved it. Then I went to view it and the whole article was there.

Any blinding revelations?

Andy H

10 Feb 13, 2009 13:33

ahughes3 wrote:

... I created the teaser text, pressed the !NT button, hit enter twice, pasted the whole article in and saved it. Then I went to view it and the whole article was there.

Any blinding revelations?

Andy H

Um... it is supposed to be that way. The question is was the teaser there?

Just to double-check: your teaser and whole article are in the same exact form field right? Like where you post your post is the thing. "Teaser,!NT,Article" then on multi-pages you get "teaser {{clickme}}" and on permalink you get "article" is the idea.

There is another form field title "Except" which is for the syndication readers. Just want to clarify is the thing.

------------------------------------

um... your "Training Evaluation" post acts like a !NT post should act. The bit with "In 1959, Kirkpatrick1 first..." is visible on the multi-post page, but not on that post's permalink page. Methinks you got it but haven't seen that it's there.

11 Feb 13, 2009 13:34

Yeehaw! (does anybody really say that these days?)

I've sust it out all by my lil self! I worked out the I needed to press the !M button first then the !NT button and when I checked it out, it worked.

Major step forward. Now all I've got to do is recreate all the posts from my cursed wordpress blog! Don't suppose there's a simple way of doing that?

Anyway, again thanks for your help.

Andy H

12 Feb 13, 2009 13:40

ahughes3 wrote:

... I worked out the I needed to press the !M button first then the !NT button and when I checked it out, it worked. ...

Oh yeah there's that too ;)

I've never done a !NT post so there you go. Kinda stupid though eh?

Moving posts from X to Y is always doable and sometimes not easy. Can't help you there, though part of the installation process (I think!) covers that. See if you have a folder called docs or something like that. I always delete it cuz I don't need to move is the thing.

Form is loading...