Recent Topics

1 Feb 15, 2009 19:22    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Hi all!

Am I glad to have joined the b2Evolution Forum and its blogging software?.. Yes!! Complete novice and I will have many questions later, but not for now. Let me explain the title about “Never meddle..” Today I will just tell you my story, bear with me but it does explain my being glad to be here.

I come from UK and I use a superb webhosting company called HOSTGATOR. For me no problems. I have a website but only just..because again I am only learning how to design it but it works. Then I thought I would try blogging sometime so installed from HOSTGATOR one of 3 choices of blogging software – called Wordpress. This installed and worked 100% as it should – and would have continued but for me...!!

From the moment I had it, and of course this is my opinion I found it unfriendly to use and cumbersome. That is not Wordpress's problem but mine I know that, but there it is that's how I felt.

Well I thought I knew a little bit about links and HTML on a basic level and then I entered some settings area where I saw a reference to something like http://www.mydomain.com/blog. So I thought I would just try seeing if I removed the “blog” reference the title if clicked would return to my website. DO NOT MEDDLE – because the very next second when I went to check this blog area, NOTHING could be accessed no pages at all of the blog software – just the HOSTGATOR error message 404 "page not found".

Of course I panicked (as you do, well I do!) and went backwards and forwards to the Hostgator server checking my directories and files and had not got a clue what had happened or what to do. So a longer story short I deleted the whole blog directory and uninstalled it at Hostgator. Next I chose to install version 2.4.5 of b2evolution.

Immediately I felt at home with it, why? have no idea but I did. Only time will tell, but one lesson has been learnt “Don't meddle with what you do not understand” !! For the moment I will leave everything on default and study the software first!

My questions for the forum – oh those will come before very long. And thanks for reading my posting. Hope it helps someone who passes by.

David

2 Feb 15, 2009 20:30

Hi David, good to have you on board.
Take it easy and feel free to ask if, and when it "hits the fan"

This forum has a pretty good search function as well.

3 Feb 16, 2009 20:42

Thanks John for your kind welcome.
Had a lot of help in short time I have been here.

I have made a few mistakes to say the least already!!

I'll get there in the end I hope...

4 Feb 17, 2009 06:43

I found B2 easier to use than Wordpress too. Good luck! you will find the group here very helpful. At least I did.
-Rose

Form is loading...