Recent Topics

1 Feb 25, 2009 08:04    

Using recaptcha, changing my URL (which was a major blow with my hits) and being tough, I have managed to get my spammers way down.

What I now have is people that have grudges. They are people that have a grudge against me, the company I work for or they have grudge against someone in the industry. So they use my blog to play out their petty freuds.

See here for an example.

http://www.posbrowser.com.au/b2evolution.new/blogs/index.php/2009/02/24/why-eastland-newsagency-changed-from-tow?blog=2

What I would like is the ability to search by IP address.

Also I would like to edit the IP address because often people email me a comment and ask me to post it. So the IP address is my IP.

2 Feb 26, 2009 06:11

Hi bernard zimmermann. I've looked at this a couple of times and, to be honest, am very confused.

First I'll start at the end to maybe get my biggest confusion clarified. So ... people send you an email saying "could you please make this a comment" and you do so now you want to edit the IP address the comment came from. Why don't you just reply to them saying "you can make a comment as easily as you sent this email" and be done with it?

Moving backwards, what would you want to search by IP addresses? I'm guessing comments - which we currently can't do. But you CAN set comments to be drafts by default then simply not publish comments you don't want on your blog. Which seems to be the first situation you spoke of right? I don't know or care if these are people with a grudge or people with a legitimate complaint about bad business behaviors (not guessing either way!) but truly you can stop comments from going somewhere you don't want them to go by having them be drafts and simply deleting those you think will go to a place you don't want your web to go.

IF we could filter/sort comments by IP that'd be cool, but really I think the first order of business for what I think your needs now are is to simply moderate comments by having them go to 'draft' status, and to tell people "post your own comment".

Or did I totally miss something?

3 Feb 27, 2009 02:50

I have a few blogs, I look after. On the private one it just the owners choice on what they publish and the draft ->moderate system works great.

On the company blogs, the situation is very different.

You are talking possible libel suits here. They are concerned.

What I need to do is be able to search all comments made by a certain IP and any details I can find about them, the comments. the browsers they used, operating systems, the system clocks etc.

The other problem I have is

Often a person will write to the company an email saying
blaa blaa blaa

and also on your blog can you write I (Harry) said
this this this.

The company will put it up. Now the IP address could be one of several in a company. It has its advantages but I would prefer to be able to edit it.

4 Feb 27, 2009 03:00

Okay I guess that makes sense. Sort of...

Currently the only thing b2evolution will tell you about is the IP address, but to edit it you would have to go into your database via phpmyadmin or some such. evo_comments would be the table you'd have to play with.

5 Feb 27, 2009 03:16

Any way I can search by IP address and get a list of them.

6 Feb 27, 2009 03:53

For comments it is not possible within b2evolution. You will have to access your database ... until someone comes up with a cool hack.

7 Feb 27, 2009 06:09

It would be a cool hack. I would love to see as many technical details as possible as well.

Form is loading...