Recent Topics

1 Mar 01, 2009 20:45    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Just changed from Hostgator webhosting company from where I had successfully installed b2evolution. Moved to http://freeola.com

Saved all my directories and files re b2evolution, to my hard drive but nevertheless before I spend time trying it all out, do you know whether I would have to begin again with a fresh installation please?

Freeola do not have b2 on their system to install from like I did previously, so any advice would be very welcome.

Obviously I have much work to do to put my website proper back together again, checking it out and so on, therefore b2 will not be put back for maybe a week or two.

Thanks.
David

2 Mar 01, 2009 20:57

I hope you also backed up your database from your old host!!!

Basically the database stores all the bits that are actually your web, so without it you've got nothing but the files. The files are very good to have - no doubt - but you need the database they talk to.

Assuming you do have, or can get, the database then you need to create a new database on your new hosting place. Your host might have to do that for you ... depends. Anyway once you have your new database built without any tables in it you will need "restore" the backup of the old database to the new home. THEN you will need to edit your /conf/_basic_config.php file to show the new database connection info (username, password, something else) and the new value for $baseurl. Upload all the files and you will still have some issues to deal with, but hey let's get it mostly restored before worring about the little bits.

3 Mar 01, 2009 21:29

Thanks EdB. Database?? no chance - until you wrote this, all I thought I had to have was the .php files!!

Look not to worry though because truthfully I had only just started and had only done one blog! So perhaps advice I need now is how to download to my computer B2 and then how to go about installing on my new host. They incidentally have no problem with me doing this providing of course I know what I am doing....

No, the only things I had (well I say the only things!) but actually they are a LOT. Every directory and file that was contained in the Blog directory on my host's server.

But database...????? Now you can see I am a raw beginner and had better start all over again which I am quite prepared to do.

Thanks for such a quick resonse though EdB.
Appreciated.

4 Mar 01, 2009 22:00

Okay then you probably don't need the files you saved if you're willing to start all over. Go to the downloads tab up above and download 2.4.6 then unzip it on your computer.

Have your new host set you up with a database. It's some form of magic they do. Then use an FTP program to upload all the files you just unzipped to your webspace.

Now read http://manual.b2evolution.net/Install_b2evolution and dig on the stuff in "Installing b2evolution" step 3 about changing a file's permissions.

Actually after that the rest of that page sort of steps you through the whole process. One thing it doesn't say is that after you finish the installer you will need to restore the permissions of that file in the /conf/ folder that you made be 666, so do note what it is now so you can restore it that way later.

Good luck with it!

5 Mar 01, 2009 23:02

Thanks EdB. Had it too easy before didn't I just picking the program and pressing "install" !

OK - printed off your advice plus few pages from the link you gave me as well.

The chmod command means absolutely NOTHING to me so I think I will send a ticket or two to the webhost guys technical section and see if they can guide me on their server - before I bring the whole shooting match down!!!

Again - cheers for everything and later, much later I will come back again (well you know I will..) :)

All the best.

6 Mar 02, 2009 20:40

EdB - here is an update to my saga!

Firstly it will be a while. Initial priority is to get all my website directories and files working. Then B2.

OK this is the current position. Got in touch with my new webhosting company Freeola on this subject. Firstly I must say I have this webhosting for free so any small charges that I might incur because of needing (which apparently I do..) a MySQL database is to be understood. I have no problem with them. Also their support is very very good and quick, by email and phone. In addition when you login all their setup is most efficient.

I asked if I got the MySQL database does B2evolution deal with it silently and not involving me.

They replied within 1 hour that I would need to configure some settings in the program to relate the program to the MySQL Database. And, very friendly they did say they would try to help me over the phone, although they don't actually offer that kind of support.

So I will pay the extra £3 plus VAT per month here in UK which I do not begrudge them in the slightest. Later I will follow all your assistance as far as I can. Because I have to work a lot out myself is no reason I feel why I should not try and that is what I am going to do with the help thank goodness of this Forum.

What I think I am going to flounder with is this reference to for example, chmod 66 or chmod 77 because I am wondering what I have to do to carry this out. Do I have to key this information in somewhere or does the program B2 lead me through this? Anyhow, this is where I might stumble.

So that's it for now. Later I will come back and explain how far I have got!

Thanks for standing by.... :)

Form is loading...