Recent Topics

1 Mar 14, 2009 08:41    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I'm trying to adapt a skin and make it my own. The formatting of CSS makes it really easy for me to go find the existing image and put in my own image. The problem is that when I save, the entire page loses it's format and runs all together so I can no longer find anything. I've been very careful not to delete anything and replace only the exact space for the image change. I don't understand why it's doing this.

Just thought of this as I was asking... I pasted it into my wp and then copied and pasted it back onto the notepad and it kept the format. Do I need to do that every time I change the CSS? Or is there something I'm doing/not doing with the notepad file that will keep the format?

I'm just relieved, at this point, that I found a way to keep it. I don't know enough about CSS yet, to figure it out. At least I can learn from the format. Everything all run together is not good for a brain plagued with ADD.

Also...
Is it the CSS or the php that determines how many columns (ie. 1 or 2
sidebars) on the page?

TIA,
~Faith

3 Mar 14, 2009 14:19

Afwas' howto page is really good on a lot of levels. In the process of playing there you'll learn all sorts of cool stuff.

Airycat wrote:

... The problem is that when I save, the entire page loses it's format and runs all together so I can no longer find anything. I've been very careful not to delete anything and replace only the exact space for the image change. I don't understand why it's doing this. ...

What is the editor that you are making your changes with? Actually more to the point, what source are you using in what editor? It sort of sounds like you're copying your "view source" and tweaking it in notepad and have figured out you have to go through whatever 'wp' is. But that'd be crazy.

Basically though don't use a word processor like Microsoft Word for example. And don't start with your "view source" after visiting your web. Much better to start with the actual files that make your web - specifically "style.css" in your /skins/yourskin/ folder. And edit with a semi-smart editor that is made for file work. Technically notepad is good but google notepad++ and you'll get some cool features that make it easier to see what you're doing. I personally like HTML Kit which is free and does really neato cool stuff for showing you what's up.

Airycat wrote:

... Is it the CSS or the php that determines how many columns (ie. 1 or 2 sidebars) on the page? ...

Mostly the CSS. The php builds the page by picking appropriate bits out of your database based on exactly which page is being built. All it is really doing though is writing the html your visitors browsers will try to display. So the php needs to make some DIVs if you want to have sidebars. Your CSS then tells the browser "if you have a div called sidebar then make it be X width and put it on the left". It's a bit more complicated than that, but mostly the css does positioning IF the php gave it the elements to position.

4 Mar 14, 2009 22:25

Thank you both! I will be reading the HOWTO this week (maybe today).

Once I copied the file from my wp (word processor - Lotus, in this case) it behaved and I had no more problems with it. Normally, I edit files by right clicking and choosing "edit." It works with the html files.

I knew about WYSIWYG editors and don't care for them, but I didn't know there were things such as HTML Kit and notepad++. I actually downloaded both and will be playing with them to see which I like.

I persevered last night and got the page (http://airynothing.net/Blogs/blog6.php) mostly done. It still needs tweaking, especially font colors, but over all, I'm happy with it.

Thanks so much for your help.
~Faith

Form is loading...