Recent Topics

1 Mar 14, 2009 09:26    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I just installed b2evo and I'm working on customizing my blogs. I'd like an easier way to customize skins besides having to edit them in Dreamweaver/Notepad and upload them to the server, then rinse and repeat for every change I make until I get everything the way I want it. I've seen multiple references to a Template Editor and a Templates tab in the Back Office, but everything that refers to those things seems to be at least two years old. My Back Office doesn't have a Templates tab; is the Template Editor still around at all, or has that been removed? (And if so, why?)

--Jennifer

2 Mar 14, 2009 09:47

I've never edited my skin or files "internally". I seem to remember access issues back when I could find a Admin Editor.

I'm not saying it's not there btw. It's Saturday night after all.

The best thing to do, if you want to heavily edit a skin is to save it to your own hard drive with an appropriate server emulator installed. Wamp, Mamp etc.....

For CSS trial and error you can use the FF extension http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/ which lets you edit and inspect on a live test basis, then save your CSS and simply upload it when your satisfied.

Nothing beats developing via your own disk based server though.

3 Mar 14, 2009 13:36

The wiki manual is so chock full of old junk it oughta be condemned!

So what you need to do if you want to edit skins is go to "Global settings -> Files" and check the box for 'enable skins directory'. Abracadabra alakazam each of your skins will be available for editing via the "Files" tab. Note that if your server is "old school style" you will probably have to CHMOD the folder you want to edit. If your server is hip and groovy and neato it'll have SuPHP installed which will somehow say "b2evolution is allowed to edit its own files". Only it'll sound like a beatnik when it says it ... not that I know how a beatnik server sounds of course because it says it to itself which means science has never recorded the sound of a server diggin on SuPHP. They're working on it though.

4 Mar 14, 2009 17:32

I'll suggest Apache Friends' "XAMPP" (some years ago "LAMPP" [not LAMP]), for a localhost server (your desktop). I'm pretty much satisfied with it, both for WinXP Pro and Ubuntu64.

I agree, best way is to edit locally, that way:

• you are not using your bandwidth

• you can reload instantly instead of waiting for the whole "browser contacts server; server processes the files...."

• you can edit live, on-the-fly without any worries your live/production site gets borked

• and other reasons

• [/list:u] ---------------------------------- Most shared-hosting do not provide SuPHP, haven't seen one. I usually end CHMOD'ing to 777. And most host hates it when there are 777 folders from their clients - the irony!!

5 Mar 15, 2009 04:29

Laibcoms wrote:

... Most shared-hosting do not provide SuPHP, haven't seen one. ...

Mine does! I contacted them when I had malicious activity. And posted about it here. They clocked in with "we're doing SuPHP so you won't have to CHMOD anything to 777 again ... and we're gonna clean out all the bad files ... and we're gonna undo all your 777s ... and we're done!" slightly before this forum recommended SuPHP as the ideal answer.

That's part of the reasons I don't mind paying a bit more than the going rate for my space & bandwidth.

Form is loading...