Recent Topics

1 Mar 16, 2009 01:55    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi, this may seem an obvious question, but it's been driving me mad. I've looked throught the forums, to some degree, here, also the FAQs, but everything that's there tells me what I'm doing already or the information is missing/out of date.

Anyway:

I've set up some blogs using this system. What I want is to have users who can create/edit their own blogs, but not have access to the system admin stuff, such as changing skins, widgets and so forth.

However, I can only seem to set these up so they have no write ability, or they have ability to access all their settings, (for their own blogs, I've at least managed to stop them changing other peoples' blogs!) and nothing inbetween, despite clicking NO ACCESS on the user permissions for skins/admin etc.

I have the nearly latest version (2.4.5).

Is it possible to give users the abililty to write blogs whilst restricted their access to skin/widget changes and so forth?

Can anyone make this clear for me please? It's driving me nuts.

2 Mar 16, 2009 12:29

Short answer is yes, possible.

I have a blog where visitors can register (on their own or you do it for them) then they can post away without being able to touch anything else. It was a bit of a process of playing with settings (long since forgotten which ones) but I got there. Has worked well. Given that this is possible Im sure what you're wanting is too.

Sorry, not much help I know. :-/

3 Mar 16, 2009 12:40

lol! Well, thanks for commenting anyway! At least I know it is possible!

Did you follow the link to that mod which creates a blog automatically upon registering? I followed it but I don't think it was there anymore. (Not sure, I'm not good in Italian!)

That would be useful.

4 Mar 16, 2009 12:57

Yep, the "is possible" was the point I was trying to make :)

No, didnt follow any links. My blog has users posting into the same blog so they dont officially "own" it / one. If you have set "admin" as the "owner" on all blogs you may have more success?

6 Mar 16, 2009 13:17

Thanks Giga! I can (just!) make them out. I'll do a compare and see if I can fix my problem.

Thanks again! :D

7 Mar 16, 2009 13:24

Good luck :).

Bear in mind that these settings are for registered "users". Admin owns this blog.

8 Mar 16, 2009 13:52

Damn!! I thought I had it then!!

Basically I removed the ticks in the advanced permission settings (as the last pic above, 4th, 5th, and 6th from the [u]right[/u]) and thought that would do it.

However, my test user can still see the 'customize' menu at the top, which still, for some reason, gives access to skins and the like, even though I have that set to 'no' in the permissions somewhere else.

So I made that 'hidden'. (Under: Users/Access to Admin Area) However, then they can't see the 'write' bar at the top, and they can still login to the 'back office' and see all the 'change skin' settings anyway. (along with the write button etc)

So if I disable the access to the admin (Users/Access to Admin Area) they can't log into the back office, but if I do that they also can't see the 'write' tab. >:(

I'm trying to give each user permission to add to their own blogs, but that's not too different from yours I think. :-/

Grrrr.

9 Mar 16, 2009 16:44

Hmm...

Without using any plugins, it is indeed possible, but you have to do it manually for each user and each group.

Basically, all you have to play with are the following areas:
Blog Settings -> BLOG -> User perms
Blog Settings -> BLOG -> Group perms

Each user's "user level" at the "Users" (main) tab
From there, you can also edit the Additional Permissions per group by clicking the edit Icon of each group.

10 Dec 22, 2009 05:08

Hi,
New to B2Evo, and am installed up to the latest version with userblog plugin for registration.

I too am having problems limiting the ability of userblog group users from changing skins. I have made sure that access to skins files is unticked in the user group settings, but the skins can still be seen and changed.

As for user level settings, I have even set my test user to "0" and the skins can still be changed. I can't find any other settings that could change access. Any suggestions?

Form is loading...