Recent Topics

1 Mar 20, 2009 16:11    

I've got a widget that's more or less working, but I want to be able to allow users to set some variables - specifically colors. In the main this seems straight forward except for what to do if the user enters something that is not a 6 digit hex number. What is the proper way to throw an error for this?

2 Mar 20, 2009 17:53

Hi EagleG33k. Welcome to the forums. Did you directly create a widget that you hack core files to have b2evolution know about, or a plugin that creates a widget?

If the first case, I dunno.

If the second case, use a $this->msg in your plugin to stop it from going forward.

$this->msg( T_('6 digits is what makes a hex color and you did not use 6 digits'), 'error' );

This assumes you check if it is 6 digits, and know that it is not.

3 Mar 20, 2009 18:05

If you create a widget/plugin (not a hack) use this code

'tcolor' => array(
		'label' => $this->T_('Tag color'),
		'size' => 6,
		'defaultvalue' => '2b0e02',
		'note' => $this->T_('6 character hex color value'),
		'valid_pattern' => array( 'pattern' => '~^([0-9a-f]{3}){1,2}$~i', 'error' => $this->T_( 'Please enter a valid hexadecimal number for the background colour' ) ),
	),

4 Mar 20, 2009 18:12

Wow "valid_pattern" looks freakin awesome. I'm gonna have to start peaking inside some of your plugins to ... uh ... well yeah to steal the cool stuff you take advantage of :D

But actually you should say "if you create a plugin" because if you create a direct widget then you need to hack core files to get it known of.

5 Mar 20, 2009 18:22

EdB wrote:

Wow "valid_pattern" looks freakin awesome. I'm gonna have to start peaking inside some of your plugins to ... uh ... well yeah to steal the cool stuff you take advantage of :D

The code was stolen from one of Yabba's plugins :)

But actually you should say "if you create a plugin" because if you create a direct widget then you need to hack core files to get it known of.

We can use the same code for plugins and "direct widgets" added to inc/widgets/widgets directory ;), so this snippet should work in either way.

6 Mar 20, 2009 18:31

sam2kb wrote:

EdB wrote:

The code was stolen from one of Yabba's plugins :)

Buggered if I can remember where I stole it from :-S

¥

7 Mar 20, 2009 19:00

sam2kb wrote:

... We can use the same code for plugins and "direct widgets" ...

Yeah yeah that's cool! It's just that a "widget making plugin" doesn't need any hacks. So if someone makes a "direct widget" then hacking has to happen. So "widget/plugin (not hack)" is a bit misleading.

EagleG33k are you following this? Hopefully when you say you've got a widget that's more or less working you really mean you've got a widget-making-plugin that's more or less working. Unless you don't plan on sharing it, but actually you can share a direct widget ... just include the directions for hacking is all.

Hacking the core can be very rewarding ... until upgrade time happens.

8 Mar 21, 2009 01:50

Thanks guys - this has been really helpful. Yes - I have been making it as a plugin. I've been trying to come up with a plugin for Google Friend Connect so that our friends using Blogger can "follow" our blogs. Once I fix a few more things I'll put it up.

This is my first attempt at writing anything for b2evolution, so hopefully it all goes well from here on out. valid_pattern has worked really well - btw.

Thanks again!

Form is loading...