Recent Topics

1 Apr 07, 2009 01:31    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

How do I set comments so that I don't need to moderate them? Do I need to set everyone up as "owner"? I want everyone on this particular blog to have full access to it.

Also, I've checked everything that I can find for e-mail notification, but no one is being notified. I get only the notification that someone has commented and needs to be published, but not if someone makes a new post. Others are getting nothing. It's a private family blog, so the rss doesn't work. (At least, I'm assuming that because it's private with protected posts, that that's why the rss isn't working.) It would be nice if we had a reliable notification. I assume there must be something I need to do and haven't done, but I have no idea what it is.

Thank you,

2 Apr 12, 2009 02:49

I still haven't figured this out. I got a notice for a trackback* in another blog and in the notice there was a link to an edit subs page, but I couldn't find one for the blog I want. Substituting the blog # yielded a 404. Substituting my other blogs worked fine.

I've checked "Allow users to subscribe and receive email notifications for each new post and/or comment."

Now I'm getting this: Notice: Undefined index: text in /usr/home/airynot/public_html/Blogs/skins_adm/_adminUI_general.class.php on line 762

I don't know how to fix it. I still don't know php. This isn't a public blog, but I have one public post I made in trying to figure this out, so it there's anything you need to see, that one's there (http://airynothing.net/Blogs/index.php?blog=8) (EDIT: I only get this when logged in to this one blog with my non administrative identity. It doesn't show when I log in as administrator and can view all blogs.)

I'm really getting frustrated about this.

*What are trackbacks? I don't know what to do with them. I've been deprecating them.

3 Apr 12, 2009 03:43

One thing I can help with is trackbacks. That's sorta like an automated comment, but mostly they're probably spam. It is supposed to work like this: I see something on your blog that motivates me to write something on mine. So I get your trackback URL and pop it in the field for "trackback URLs" when I write my blog post. Now the system sends a snippet of my post to yours as a comment. But mostly no one ever does except spammers who fake it all so they can promote their ink cartridge enlarging techniques.

Getting comments unmoderated is easy but my belly is full so give me a minute or ten and I'll hook you up.

Oh and I would suggest turning off trackbacks. That way you don't have to deprecate them anymore.

4 Apr 12, 2009 04:18

Airycat wrote:

How do I set comments so that I don't need to moderate them? Do I need to set everyone up as "owner"? I want everyone on this particular blog to have full access to it.

Not sure what you mean by "everyone on this blog to have full access to it" but to make comments not need moderation is fairly easy. Go to your Blog settings tab then pick a blog then the Features subtab. There you will find a select box for "New feedback status" that you would change to "Published".

hmmm... I dunno who has access to that feature. Might be that the admin or the owner is the only ones who can see that, which means someone would have to have every permission imaginable to have access to that one bit.

Airycat wrote:

Also, I've checked everything that I can find for e-mail notification, but no one is being notified. I get only the notification that someone has commented and needs to be published, but not if someone makes a new post. Others are getting nothing. It's a private family blog, so the rss doesn't work. (At least, I'm assuming that because it's private with protected posts, that that's why the rss isn't working.) It would be nice if we had a reliable notification. I assume there must be something I need to do and haven't done, but I have no idea what it is.

I know very little about the emailing when whatever features, but I know something about RSS feeds. Depending on your feed reader, you may or may not be able to see posts that you can see if you visit the blog. So looking at the second part of the statement, if someone blogs a protected post in blog #7 then only members of blog #7 have any chance of seeing that post through a feed reader. Obviously someone who is not a member simply won't see it. So the question is are you not seeing posts in the feeds that you actually can see on the blog? Same with notifications - are you not getting notified about whatever you're supposed to get notified about for something you can actually see on the blog?

I should tinker with that stuff a wee bit. Like, fire up IE and pretend to be someone else so I can 'subscribe' to my own posts just to see what happens.

5 Apr 12, 2009 06:02

Thank you, EdB!

I've made the change so that I don't have to moderate the comments. That's a big help. Eventually I'll have all of this figured out... maybe.

I did figure out that protected posts wouldn't be available via RSS, but that's why I thought e-mail notification would work. Only members would be able to sign up for it (I assume) and since members can read the protected posts, that would be a good way for them to know there is something new posted. With all members being allowed to post, that is necessary.

I checked the 'allow e-mail notification of posts and comments,' as administrator. As a member I checked to be allowed e-mail notification via forms and to be notified if someone responds to one of my posts. I don't see anything to check to get notification of posts, unless it's the forms.

(I am a member both as administrator and like the other members -- with their limitations -- depends on how I sign in.)

6 Apr 12, 2009 10:32

I discovered that when I did get notices for comments to my posts, I could go to the subs page and sign up for both posts and comments, so finally I'm getting notices. I don't know how to get to that page otherwise, though. I'm sure it's something simple.

IT IS!! It's the same link for everyone. DUH. Depends on how you're signed in. (/Blogs/index.php?blog=8&disp=subs)

Oh, and thanks for the comments on trackbacks, too, EdB. (I missed that post earlier, somehow.) I'll disable them. I followed the links they gave and got nothing. (Of course, I don't think they got real trackbacks, either, since I didn't when I clicked on them.)

7 Apr 12, 2009 10:53

Do you mean the trackback link on your blog? Those are supposed to go nowhere. Or more accurately they are information for the other computer to use when creating a trackback - not a real "link" that a human would enjoy clicking on. If you mean the links that CLAIM to be where a trackback came from (like how a comment can have a URL of the commenter), they're probably spam.

Anyway sounds like you got both sorted out so that's cool. I was trying to make a plugin kinda like "commentluv" only since mine will be way better it'll be "comment lust in the foyer with the door still ajar" but pretty much totally failed. So I figured I'd surf here then maybe try to subscribe to my own blog to see how it works. Now I don't need to eh?

Form is loading...