Recent Topics

1 Apr 13, 2009 07:44    

I'm pretty close to having something that'll add a bit after a comment showing the commenter's most recent blog post, if they provided a website URL and they have a feed. The thing is I think I'm doing it all wrong.

Basically I started out thinking of what I see on thebloggess.com - http://thebloggess.com/?p=1282 for example. There's a little bit tucked into the comments showing what the commenter recently put on their website. The thing I think I'm doing wrong is I'm allowing it to update, but on that site it is very static. Meaning once a comment is submitted to thebloggess.com it gets the commenter's latest blog post and it stays that way forever. My current working model is to have it go pull the feed again and update if possible. So a year from now instead of pointing to something a year old it'll point to something shiny and new. Which might be silly because the commenter's website URL will point to something shiny and new so why bother duplicating a link to the newest stuff?

Anyone got an opinion on which way it should go? Either keep the blog post link as "current at the moment of commenting" or "current at the moment a visitor is visiting"?

2 Apr 13, 2009 08:06

I actually like the "time machine" aspect of TheBloggess and the "static" links to commenters latest post.
It's a snapshot of what everyone was doing etc at that time.

3 Apr 13, 2009 08:12

Agreed. It's how it says "last blog post" that got me going the wrong way. Plus now I think I have a plugin name: "Time Machine" even though I already have a plugin that begins with T. The thing is I have 4 that begin with C ... and anything to do with comments sorta begins with C ... and I got this idea that I can plugin my way through the alphabet if I get a little creative.

hmmm... Maybe "Snapshot" but that's dumber than "Killer Bees" was :roll:

5 Apr 13, 2009 08:46

Checks list ... cross references alphabet ... YAY! "P" is most assuredly not on my list and fills a gap between "M" and "Q". So Post Snap it is. Or rather will be when I re-write the darned thing.

I'm thinking the other might be particularly neat for a b2evo blog with multiple users. Like "latest by each author who wrote anything", but it'd be much easier to directly query the database than to use feeds for that info.

Oh well. I had the pleasure of tinkering inside one of ¥åßßå's creations and learning some stuff about SimplePie in the process. So it's all good.

"Post Snap" :)

6 Apr 13, 2009 09:03

"p" & "s" knocked off in one plugin... way to go

I'm looking forward to the one you name "x"

7 Apr 13, 2009 09:40

Nah I'm going by first letters, although using the first of each would make it a wee bit easier cuz that would cover L B and Y.

X? hmmm... And still be family-friendly? hmmm... And won't be blocked by spam-bots? hmmm... And won't be promoting a microsloth product? hmmm... And isn't the name of a company that makes copying machines? hmmm... I dunno. I'll probably have to subscribe to a few feeds and see if there isn't some sort of standard family-friendly non-drug non-MS non-trademarked word that begins with X ;)

Form is loading...