Recent Topics

1 May 01, 2009 12:47    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

hi there
as i couldn't find any thread about that yet, heere my probably slightly strange question:

as i would like to set up kind of a science fiction blog that plays in the future, it would be nice to be able to set date and time manually and that it would show exactly that way. so should the calendar.

any idea if it is possible to either change the base time setting OR hiding it so i could type in date/time in the post?

thanks for any answer
k.

2 May 01, 2009 13:14

I'm pretty sure this is totally possible. You want to, for example, write something dated next year AND have it be visible today. Correct?

To do the first part - make a post with a future date - click on the 'expert' subtab when you are writing to reveal a time/date box under your posting textarea. There you can set the 'date of publication' of your post.

To make them show up in your post list takes editing something. IF you use stub files then you can do it in the stub with the $timestamp_max variable, but I don't know what you would set it to. It's something I don't play with much - sorry.

To make them show up in your calendar would take something similar. I never use that thing, but it can't be hard to figure it out. brb... Okay it looks like the calendar thingie will go out for one year all by itself, so if you want more you have to hack the plugin file. /plugins/_calendar.plugin.php around line 502 looks like this:

if( empty( $this->params['max_timestamp'] ) )
{	// Now + 1 year:
	$this->params['max_timestamp'] = mktime( 23, 59, 59, date( 'm', $localtimenow  ),  date( 'd', $localtimenow ),  date( 'Y', $localtimenow )+1 );
}

The last bit that says date( 'Y', $localtimenow )+1 is where you could make it be 20 years with date( 'Y', $localtimenow )+20

Getting the posts section of your main blog to show the future if you are not using stub files is another piece of the puzzle I guess. To my silly mind it looks like /inc/_blog_main.inc.php around line 301 is where you find $timestamp_max being set to '' (nothing) if it wasn't set in a stub file. Sadly I've no idea what you would put in there. OH wait maybe I do!

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?p=76880#76880 shows how to put timestamp_min 10 days into the past, so it basically seems to be saying also how to put it 20 years into the future.

Oh and welcome to the forums :)

3 May 01, 2009 13:32

wow, THAT was quick :)

thanks very much, i will try that and tell you how it worked out.

and thanks for having me here ;)

4 May 01, 2009 18:26

Setting these two to the appropriate values in a stub should work for posts and calendar, which is why I have trouble understanding why people have trouble getting an event calendar to work ... must just be me?

# Here you can set a limit before which posts will be ignored
# You can use a unix timestamp value or 'now' which will hide all posts in the past
$timestamp_min = '';

# Here you can set a limit after which posts will be ignored
# You can use a unix timestamp value or 'now' which will hide all posts in the future
$timestamp_max = 'now'; // change this and wander into the future luke ;)

¥

5 May 01, 2009 18:46

Slightly related: I think when people look for an event calendar what they want is a combination of a post-type "event" that acts like a regular post (maybe) in the posts loop, but also shows up on a special calendar plugin. So special it only shows event-type posts.

So like the calendar doesn't show that there are posts on 11 days this month even though there are, but shows that at the end of the month there is a fancy event happening at the soup kitchen.

I think. That's where everything goes wrong.

Form is loading...