Recent Topics

1 May 08, 2009 21:06    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi,

How do I go about using my own header on my blog page? also, this blog is part of a website and I'd like to include the site navigation on the blog page. How do I go about doing that as well.

Thanks

Debi

2 May 08, 2009 22:01

Hi debi. It's pretty easy actually, depending on your version I guess. Hopefully you're using something reasonably new ... and if all goes well good old v246 cuz that one is nice and stable. Anyway what you would want is to add a "Free HTML" widget to the container that matches the place on your web you want the other navigation, and there you go! In the Free HTML widget you would put the code for the site navigation that lines up with the rest of your web.

Hope it helps!

3 May 08, 2009 22:06

Okay...how do I get the header on the blog page?? Same thing?? or ?? I picked a "skin" that was "close" to my layout (you can see the site at http://www.breakerglass.com and the blog at http://www.breakerglass.com/b2evolution/news.php

I would really like the blog to sit inside my own "skin" but not sure how to get that done. I know the css can be modified but when I try I can't get the "old" look to go away.

Any more help would be great.

Thanks

EdB wrote:

Hi debi. It's pretty easy actually, depending on your version I guess. Hopefully you're using something reasonably new ... and if all goes well good old v246 cuz that one is nice and stable. Anyway what you would want is to add a "Free HTML" widget to the container that matches the place on your web you want the other navigation, and there you go! In the Free HTML widget you would put the code for the site navigation that lines up with the rest of your web.

Hope it helps!

[/url]

4 May 08, 2009 22:19

It does take some getting used to I guess. Lemme play a bit and see what can be done without editing okay?

5 May 08, 2009 22:20

EdB wrote:

It does take some getting used to I guess. Lemme play a bit and see what can be done without editing okay?

thanks ed!!

6 May 08, 2009 23:03

Can't get very far without editing due to how the colors and whatnots in your web just don't match what any other skin does, but I can get sorta close using the 'custom' skin. Centered header area is why.

In the Header container I put the logo and tagline widget - delete all other widgets. In the Menu container I put a Free HTML widget with your list-o-links that I made be <li>s because that container is always a <ul> so you kinda gotta. Again delete all other widgets. Then in the Page Top widget I put another Free HTML widget to try to get the "Windshields & Auto Glass" text up above the rest but it looks like crap. I'd show you but its an installation that I try to not let out into the world because all I do is play there. Like I just did :D

With a little bit of "view source" and some styling work it shouldn't be too hard to get even closer to your static page look, but that would require editing files. Not that editing is bad eh? To completely nail the look would require editing a/some php file/s, which again isn't that big a deal.

Personally I'd do it totally different. I'd toss the static pages - all of 'em - and let b2evo run the whole web for ya. I mean, toss 'em after getting the guts of 'em converted over to posts which would probably be page-type posts. But that's cuz I'm into that sort of thing. Static pages are soooo 20th century ;)

8 May 09, 2009 01:44

Okay Ed....1st thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction....2nd how do I get rid of the text at the bottom and how do I get MY footer info into the footer??

Thanks again

EdB wrote:

Can't get very far without editing due to how the colors and whatnots in your web just don't match what any other skin does, but I can get sorta close using the 'custom' skin. Centered header area is why.

In the Header container I put the logo and tagline widget - delete all other widgets. In the Menu container I put a Free HTML widget with your list-o-links that I made be <li>s because that container is always a <ul> so you kinda gotta. Again delete all other widgets. Then in the Page Top widget I put another Free HTML widget to try to get the "Windshields & Auto Glass" text up above the rest but it looks like crap. I'd show you but its an installation that I try to not let out into the world because all I do is play there. Like I just did :D

With a little bit of "view source" and some styling work it shouldn't be too hard to get even closer to your static page look, but that would require editing files. Not that editing is bad eh? To completely nail the look would require editing a/some php file/s, which again isn't that big a deal.

Personally I'd do it totally different. I'd toss the static pages - all of 'em - and let b2evo run the whole web for ya. I mean, toss 'em after getting the guts of 'em converted over to posts which would probably be page-type posts. But that's cuz I'm into that sort of thing. Static pages are soooo 20th century ;)

9 May 09, 2009 02:08

Some of the stuff in the footer can be configured on one of the sub-tabs under the "Blog settings" tab. Some of it is deeply buried footer spam that can be [url=http://wonderwinds.com/hackblog.php/2009/04/07/stopping-b2evolution-footer-spam]remedied[/url] without too much effort. Some of it will require editing a file or two. Without knowing which skin you've settled on, and with having a serious need for sleep, it is kinda hard to know what file would need editing.

There should be a container called "footer"? In there you can add some stuff, but since you'll probably have to edit stuff you might want to simply code in the footer of your dreams. Wow imagine actually dreaming of footers? Heck just thinking about imagining dreaming of footers convinces me I need both sleep and a life :roll:

oh man I broke my hackblog :( That means I gotta fix a database problem, then fix my hackblog even though I don't want to change my tagline or the style applied, then get some sleep.

The file is going to be either index.main.php in your actual skin, or _body_footer.inc.php in either the skins folder or your skin's folder inside the skins folder. Files and Folders and ... ... more Files - oh my!

10 May 09, 2009 02:59

Thanks Ed for your help...you are a prince among men!!
Enjoy your nap!!

Debi

EdB wrote:

Some of the stuff in the footer can be configured on one of the sub-tabs under the "Blog settings" tab. Some of it is deeply buried footer spam that can be [url=http://wonderwinds.com/hackblog.php/2009/04/07/stopping-b2evolution-footer-spam]remedied[/url] without too much effort. Some of it will require editing a file or two. Without knowing which skin you've settled on, and with having a serious need for sleep, it is kinda hard to know what file would need editing.

There should be a container called "footer"? In there you can add some stuff, but since you'll probably have to edit stuff you might want to simply code in the footer of your dreams. Wow imagine actually dreaming of footers? Heck just thinking about imagining dreaming of footers convinces me I need both sleep and a life :roll:

oh man I broke my hackblog :( That means I gotta fix a database problem, then fix my hackblog even though I don't want to change my tagline or the style applied, then get some sleep.

The file is going to be either index.main.php in your actual skin, or _body_footer.inc.php in either the skins folder or your skin's folder inside the skins folder. Files and Folders and ... ... more Files - oh my!

11 May 13, 2009 08:41

Hi EdB,

I have read this post and have been able to add my own custom footer, and I uploaded the file from the "remedy" site you linked to, but I still appear to get the footer spam garbage. Was I supposed to do something other than upload it? I didn't already have a hacks file and I have been customising the Crystal_glass skin.

www.amandajane.com.au/b2blog

hope you can help...regards amanda.[/url]

12 May 13, 2009 16:12

Hi butterfly7277. That doesn't make sense but we'll figure it out in the other thread.

Form is loading...