Recent Topics

1 May 09, 2009 00:22    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Trying to load this program to my website actually drove me to have a drink! Not the programs fault, of course, but after HOURS, I finally gave up. But I really want it on my website so I need HELP. You will laugh at what I did. Hell, I laugh about it too. But sometimes you get so focused on one thing that an alternative method is not an option. I uploaded all the files manually to my ftp. Yep...one by one. Every file, every folder. Took me over 3 hours or so. (Go ahead, laugh out loud.) Then I tried to run the install thing and all I got was an error message saying something about that file or url or something could not be found on this server. So after about an hour of adjusting permissions and typing in the path about a gazillion times, I deleted the 3 hour file. I then went to my web host to see if they had a program to upload it and of course they did. I fired it up and went and made toast. Then after it was loaded, I again typed in the path. Same error message. After trying a few more things I deleted it again and loaded a different one. That one gave me the same error message. One thing that I did notice is that when I am on the main page of my file manager, I cannot create a directory. I get the "permission denied" message. So I created the "blogs" directory in a folder called httpdocs which is one of the only folders it would let me create to. Also, Front Page extentions are enabled. I don't know if that would have any affect but it is the program that I use to make websites. I am certainly not a pro at any of this but I have made many websites and know some html and can navigate my way in and out of a lot of things but there is certainly something that I am missing. Any help would be appreciated. I'm gonna go make another drink while I wait for responses. ;D

2 May 09, 2009 00:53

Windoze server? Just curious. I don't know poodles from monkey brains about servers. Slightly over 500 files uploaded one by one is ... weird.

Okay let's get 'er done. What did you use to upload the files? Something your host gave you? A stand-alone FTP program like FileZilla or whatever? An addon to Firefox like FireFTP maybe? Knowing that can help identify an issue. Because basically you should have been able to say "upload this folder on my computer to that path on my server" and be done with it.

When you say you uploaded the files manually TO your ftp what does that mean? FTP being "file transfer protocol", I'm wondering if the destination is the problem. Ah - I see now. So you used your host's file manager to create a directory called "blogs". Is that where you uploaded the b2evolution files to? Are you using your host's file manager to upload?

hmmm... Don't change permissions on stuff - yet. You shouldn't need to until you have the files there and the installer is working and it tells you to change permissions on something.

Have you successfully uploaded anything with this host? How do you upload the pages you make in FrontPage? Oh having FP extensions installed shouldn't do anything bad to b2evolution, by the way.

Hey does your host offer Fantastico? If so you should be able to install b2evolution with a few clicks.

How about a database? Do you have one already, because b2evo will not make one for you. Normally what I do is tell Fantastico to make me a b2evolution installation, then save the one file that has the database connection info, then delete all the files from the server and DROP all the tables from the database, then upload the version I'm trying to install and let it use the database Fantastico made for me. Anyway you need a database for it to work, but you also need to get the files on the server.

SO! What are you using to upload files, and can you upload a very simple index.html file to the "blogs" folder you created and see that page online?

3 May 09, 2009 01:14

www.lowesthosting.com. I have used them over the years and my sites have been fine. I used their file transfer thingy to put the "blogs" folder into another folder (or directory) on my ftp space (or whatever you call it). The only thing I have loaded to the site is a welcome page and it loaded and works just fine. I used Front Page to create it and uploaded it from there.

I created a database titled "blogs". It was the first step in the directions so that is what I did. Do I need to create a user under the blogs database? It gives me that option but I haven't done it.

Hmmm....I cannot open up my directory from IE. I get the "the requested file is not found on this server". I used the path http://www.craftcitycafe.com/logs and I get that error message. I have typed in a few things and I get that error message. I just loaded a photo on there and I cannot access it at all. There are a bunch of folders in there and I can view them but I can't upload anything to them. The only one that I can load to is a folder called httpdocs but I can't access it from IE.

4 May 09, 2009 01:53

Yes you will need a user for the database. Database name, user name, database password.

Sounds like talking to your host is a good idea. Normally I'm used to either public_html or www for where files go upon upload, and actually they seem to be the same place. Either way, if you can create a folder and add a file and image but not be able to access it then something very basic is wrong.

Once you get it worked out with them I suggest checking out FileZilla as a more easier way to upload your stuff. Once you set it up to talk to your server you can basically upload the entire package in one shot. And it won't mangle the format of the files, which is something that somehow messes up stuff sometimes.

Anyway yeah I'd be getting with the host because a folder a file and a picture should be accessible via the web, but isn't. That has to be dealt with before you'll be able to get this thing running.

5 May 09, 2009 03:21

Did I mention that I am impatient? =)

Form is loading...