1 May 24, 2009 02:00    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Step 4 says: 4.Go to "Global Settings" > "Skin install" > "Install new"

I can't find any "Global Settings" or "Skin Install"

When I select a new skin from the list on the blog it gives the error:
The website cannot display the page
:(

2 May 24, 2009 02:05

Hi exberry. Got a link to your blog? Because if you're using anything in the 2.* generation then you have a "Global settings" tab in the back office.

3 May 24, 2009 02:55

Thanks. I found a way to login to back office. Went to skin install and install new ... but it does not include the skins I downloaded and put in the blog folder. Since the Sample Blogs A and B show the new downloads in their lists, this suggests I put the skins in the right location.

How do I get the new skins to appear in Install New?

4 May 24, 2009 03:24

More problems. After I set my password and logged in to back office, it was OK for a while. Then it wanted me to login again. This time my password did not work.

I asked it to email me my password: no email.

I reset my password again. Still cannot login.

Looks like a dead end.

5 May 24, 2009 03:30

Again, got link? Believe it or not it helps a heck of a lot.

Where did you upload the skin(s) to? Which skin(s) did you download? If it didn't email you a link to reset your password then how did you reset your password? When it stopped letting you in did you try your domain with (or without) the www part? Because it matters to the cookie is why I ask. Whichever way it is in your $baseurl setting is how it should be when you log in is what I mean.

6 May 24, 2009 03:39

EdB, thanks for your quick reply. Here is the link where I see my Blog A:

http://climatephysics.com/b2blog/index.php?blog=2&skin=miami_blue

Since my webhost, StartLogic, does the install automatically, I am able to login under StartLogic to get the the place where I can reset my password for backoffice.

I downloaded skins BG, Bluer, evopress, Rugged and a few others. You can see them on my blog. Strangely, evopress appears in my list of installed skins but it still does not load.

9 May 24, 2009 08:29

John is on the money (of course) on both points. You won't have a "Global settings" tab, and the skins from the skins site mostly won't work for your version. Instead you need to do one of two things: either get old skins from http://skins.b2evolution.net/one.php OR (even better) upgrade to 2.4.6 and use have all the bells and whistles that come with the latest stable release.

1.10.3 is extremely old. It works and all, but heck why start with a golden oldie?

10 May 24, 2009 14:59

Wow! Thanks John and EdB. No wonder I was having problems. In fact, I did get into the "Global Settings" once but then it kicked me out and no longer accepted my password. So I have been oscillation between different versions without knowing it.

Also, I even read the 2.0+ version someplace before I started this forum question. Now, I see the StartLogic Control Panel and it indeed says version 1.10.3. So what is Start Logic doing with a very old version? I will ask them. They offer WordPress 2.7. I imagine a lot of people have gotten messed up by starting with version 1.10.3.

Clearly, I am not going to go backward. I will find a way to upgrade to 2.4.6 or do a whole new install if necessary.

Form is loading...