Recent Topics

1 Jun 18, 2009 15:03    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I am now at the stage where i am ready to launch the computer out of the window. Any help really appreciated guys.

Many thanks in anticipation.

1. How do i get unique meta tags on each post, such as description and keywords etc. Every post has the generic versions specified in the blog advanced settings and when i put keywords in the tags bit of a new post they do not appear in any meta tag. Do i need to leave the advanced bit blank for this?

2. How can i get a simple link back to my main site home page from my blogs?

3. Trackback. If i have a comment with a trackback does this mean that they are linking back to me? I seem to be getting lots of trackbacks and comments with weird google addresses. If a comment is made with a url in it and it says there is a trackback is this along the lines of a sort of link exchange by the comment maker or just them trying to get a link on my blog without a link back.

4. When i delete a post google seems to see it as a broken link or missing page, how do i solve this?

5. How can i make it obvious for people to follow my blog like on blogger with a block of pictures of who is following etc.

Sorry if these answers have been covered and if i am being a little cheeky asking all these questions. I am not a numpty, however, cannot seem to get my head around this.

2 Jun 18, 2009 16:08

Don't toss the computer out the window cuz really that's just the messenger. The server is where your anger should be directed, and I'm pretty sure server farms don't have windows. Most good ones use Linux ;)

Okay let's see. First off multi-part questions get multi-part answers but usually not the parts you asked about because scrolling is too hard. I'll probably throw my mouse out the window before I'm done.

1. Straight out of the box, b2evolution doesn't provide the option to have meta tags customized per post. The "tags" field when you post is for those groovy web-two-oh tag cloud thingies, meaning (depending on the skin) the comma separated list of tags you assign a post will be clickable links that will show your visitor all the posts you tagged with the same text. Kinda like categories only you didn't have to have them before you posted.

2. Mostly by putting a link where you want it, which isn't the answer you wanted is it? It really depends on your skin and a bit of thinking, but basically you will use the Free HTML widget with the appropriate HTML for your custom link in the container of your choosing. If you haven't figured it out yet, containers are basically sections of your web page other than the posting area. Like Header and Sidebar eh?

3. Trackbacks are stupid spam magnets. It is supposed to mean someone is writing about your blog post and tracking back to it, but generally it means spammers are trying to use you. Turn off the trackback feature and the problem will go away.

4. Either don't delete posts or fix google. Seriously, what the heck would you expect if a search engine has a page in their index that they can't find next crawl?

5. This makes no sense. Nothing about blogger is obvious, and following your blog is totally different from showing off who is following your blog. Just make sure the XML feed widget is in one of your containers and that you have Atom and RSS2 skins installed. In fact you don't even need the widget because most feed readers will discover the feeds anyway, but THAT is how people will follow your blog if they want to.

6. Numpty is an awesome word. I hope it is open source cuz for sure I'm gonna use it in a sentence at work. Probably in reference to my boss.

7. You didn't ask seven questions.

8. STOP IT! THIS ISN'T FUNNY OKAY?

9. Uh ... sure ... no problem.

Hope it helps!

Oh and welcome to the forums :)

4 Jun 18, 2009 17:33

Ah yeah I forgot about that. That was why I mentioned "straight out of the box". So there is a way to get it to have custom metatags, but I'd say get to know the app a little bit then get it all fancy with extra doodads. That's just me though. I'm simple :)

5 Jun 18, 2009 17:39

EdB wrote:

That's just me though. I'm simple :)

That's why I give you one line answers that use really small words :D

¥

6 Jun 19, 2009 16:55

Thanks guys, going to get on to this now and will no doubt be back soon for more :-)

Numpty is open source btw so feel free to use.

7 Jun 19, 2009 17:04

chalkie wrote:

Numpty is open source btw so feel free to use.

<?php
class blonde_bimbo extends Numpty{
  /* your code here */
}
?>

¥

8 Jun 19, 2009 17:32

Right, i got as far as installing the meta thing but now cannot find the file skins _main.php :-(

9 Jun 19, 2009 17:56

EdB wrote:

Don't toss the computer out the window cuz really that's just the messenger. The server is where your anger should be directed, and I'm pretty sure server farms don't have windows. Most good ones use Linux ;)

Its getting quite nervous again now!

Okay let's see. First off multi-part questions get multi-part answers but usually not the parts you asked about because scrolling is too hard. I'll probably throw my mouse out the window before I'm done.

Hope your mouse survived, sorry.

1. Straight out of the box, b2evolution doesn't provide the option to have meta tags customized per post. The "tags" field when you post is for those groovy web-two-oh tag cloud thingies, meaning (depending on the skin) the comma separated list of tags you assign a post will be clickable links that will show your visitor all the posts you tagged with the same text. Kinda like categories only you didn't have to have them before you posted.

Ah, i see. - Just need to sort this out because i am getting lots of tellings off from google over duplicate meta tags in webmaster tools.

2. Mostly by putting a link where you want it, which isn't the answer you wanted is it? It really depends on your skin and a bit of thinking, but basically you will use the Free HTML widget with the appropriate HTML for your custom link in the container of your choosing. If you haven't figured it out yet, containers are basically sections of your web page other than the posting area. Like Header and Sidebar eh?

I did look at this, however, it was not clear how to put a link in so i better take another look.

3. Trackbacks are stupid spam magnets. It is supposed to mean someone is writing about your blog post and tracking back to it, but generally it means spammers are trying to use you. Turn off the trackback feature and the problem will go away.

Trackbacks turned off.

4. Either don't delete posts or fix google. Seriously, what the heck would you expect if a search engine has a page in their index that they can't find next crawl?

I lied, i must be a Numpty. Why did i not realise.

5. This makes no sense. Nothing about blogger is obvious, and following your blog is totally different from showing off who is following your blog. Just make sure the XML feed widget is in one of your containers and that you have Atom and RSS2 skins installed. In fact you don't even need the widget because most feed readers will discover the feeds anyway, but THAT is how people will follow your blog if they want to.

I just like the idea of peoples pictures on my blog who are watching me, or even just a list of names, makes me feel wanted.. Thats the only bit of blogger i like. This is much much better, and i have been using this for 6 months plus, but just trying to get it perfect now.

6. Numpty is an awesome word. I hope it is open source cuz for sure I'm gonna use it in a sentence at work. Probably in reference to my boss.

Glad to give something back for the assistance given.

7. You didn't ask seven questions.

I will probably reach 70 let alone 7 by the time i finish here.

8. STOP IT! THIS ISN'T FUNNY OKAY?

It is too, i think we have a similiar sense of humour.

9. Uh ... sure ... no problem.

Hope it helps!

Oh and welcome to the forums :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks very much and its a pleasure to be here. Hi All.

10 Jun 20, 2009 08:04

chalkie wrote:

Right, i got as far as installing the meta thing but now cannot find the file skins _main.php :-(

Those instructions are from 2007 ... things have changed a smidge now ;)

Crack open /skins/[your skin]/_html_header.inc.php and make it look a smidge like this :

<?php $Plugins->trigger_event( 'SkinBeginHtmlHead' );
	/* ?>
	<title><?php
		// ------------------------- TITLE FOR THE CURRENT REQUEST -------------------------
		request_title( array(
			'auto_pilot'      => 'seo_title',
		) );
		// ------------------------------ END OF REQUEST TITLE -----------------------------
	?></title>
	*/
	?>
	<meta name="description" content="<?php $Blog->disp( 'shortdesc', 'htmlattr' ); ?>" />
	<meta name="keywords" content="<?php $Blog->disp( 'keywords', 'htmlattr' ); ?>" />

¥

Form is loading...