Recent Topics

1 Jul 17, 2009 02:03    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

Hello,
I am very sorry about my newb question. I have installed Evolution blog and can post message as an admin.

I have configured that all new registrations will put user to the Basic Blogger group.

What I would like to control that ONLY registered users can post comments. Visitors should see comments, but SHOULD not post comment.

Also, how would I back up my posts? I have access to the PHP server backend, are there specific files I should back up, etc?

how would I do this?

2 Jul 18, 2009 10:09

Hi leonbrag. Welcome to the forums :)

Your posts and comments are not saved in files. What you will want to do is periodically back up your database as that is where all the content is stored. Lots of settings stored there as well.

As to only registered folks commenting, I'm sure its been done but I don't know where to find an answer for that. I wish I did as I have need of it myself. Not that any answer available now would help with your version!

You should upgrade to 247 before you get too comfortable with 1.anything as that generation is WAY old.

5 Jul 19, 2009 00:22

no, does not work. Yeilds tons of the warnings which show on the blog pages. No go

6 Jul 19, 2009 01:10

Ah well, nothing ventured nothing gained ... I'm sure I've got it working on a 2.x install somewhere :-S

¥

7 Aug 04, 2009 02:40

leonbrag wrote:

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

Hello,
I am very sorry about my newb question. I have installed Evolution blog and can post message as an admin.

I have configured that all new registrations will put user to the Basic Blogger group.

What I would like to control that ONLY registered users can post comments. Visitors should see comments, but SHOULD not post comment.

Also, how would I back up my posts? I have access to the PHP server backend, are there specific files I should back up, etc?

how would I do this?

This seems like a no-brainer setting given the amount of spam on the net - I can't believe it is not even a default option. I'd like to find a solution to this as well for 2.x

8 Aug 04, 2009 11:21

jre wrote:

This seems like a no-brainer setting given the amount of spam on the net - I can't believe it is not even a default option.

We want all visitors to be able to post comments. Blogs (or the 'blogosphere') wouldn't be what they are today if it wouldn't be possible for all visitors to contribute to a discussion (somewhat anonymously). But wait...

I'd like to find a solution to this as well for 2.x

Please read [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net//viewtopic.php?p=41086#41086]this post[/url].

9 Aug 04, 2009 23:42

Tblue wrote:

We want all visitors to be able to post comments. Blogs (or the 'blogosphere') wouldn't be what they are today if it wouldn't be possible for all visitors to contribute to a discussion (somewhat anonymously). But wait...

Who's "we"? :D Some blogs are less public than others so I'd say that depends on your intent for the site ;)
Tblue wrote:

Please read [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net//viewtopic.php?p=41086#41086]this post[/url].

Thanks, it wasn't installed so I did so. Seems most of the plug-ins are made for versions 0.x :-/

10 Aug 04, 2009 23:51

jre wrote:

Who's "we"?

The b2evolution developers. Well, at least I remember reading something like that ("blogs should be open/public") here on the forums.
But to be safe: Opinions on this subject may differ, of course; this is my personal opinion. :-) See, you can disable public commenting if you want, but disabling it by default seems like a bad idea to me. I am in favour of improving antispam measures instead.

jre wrote:

Thanks, it wasn't installed so I did so. Seems most of the plug-ins are made for versions 0.x :-/

So... Does it work for you? The shipped plugins *should* get updated while developing the core application, but maybe we missed something here?

11 Aug 05, 2009 00:18

Tblue wrote:

See, you can disable public commenting if you want, but disabling it by default seems like a bad idea to me. I am in favour of improving antispam measures instead.

I don't disagree with you but most others at least give you the option. I'm not complaining mind you, it just seems odd to not be an option in the default setup. If I had taken any PHP instead of that drek C# and ASP/VB.NET I'd make an attempt at writing the code. :D

Tblue wrote:

So... Does it work for you? The shipped plugins *should* get updated while developing the core application, but maybe we missed something here?

I think it is sufficient for now, I'll see how things go. I just installed this after having kept up with my manually coded site for about a year so I'm not having spam issues ATM, I'm just trying to plan ahead. I administer/moderate several forums and it seems we spend the most time cleaning up spam and banning spammers. :(

Form is loading...