Recent Topics

1 Aug 31, 2009 20:09    

I just intalled b2evolution and was playing arround a bit.

So I posted a testmessage. Up to my consternation a lot of servers where instantly informed about my bog / post.

This is [u]definitely not[/u] what I had in mind !!

Please, please, change all related default setting to be secure and in respect to privacy !!!

So blogs should NOT be public, unless you defined them public
Others should NOT be informed about your blog or post unless you defined so
Etc.

I know, some people will dislike the this (/ the extra work), but it is like installing / having a firewall with default all ports open TERRIBLE !!

It is even worse, not only all ports is open, but you are even advertising it !!

Sincerely,

Louis

2 Aug 31, 2009 21:17

I think the whole idea of blogging is sharing your articles/thoughts with the world.
If you want a secure post, just select "Private" and nobody will be notified.

3 Aug 31, 2009 23:07

I agree with sam2kb, the idea is to share what you have to say. If it is the pings that you are talking about I think these are a pretty common part of everyday blogging life on all blog platforms, not just b2evo.

B2evo with left you be more private if you wish though. If you don't want the world to see your blog then set it to not be public. When creating a post set it to private and no one will see it (or be notified like sam2kb said). If it is the ping notifications you are worried about then these can be turned off in the Blog settings -> Advanced tab.

L

4 Sep 01, 2009 01:28

Ah but the new blogger doesn't know about these things. One could easily understand how it might be a bit embarrassing to have your first shot at doing this thing broadcast world wide. Kinda like finding out the most popular video on youtube at the moment is you at a traffic light signing horribly while picking your nose. Here is a neat little idea that will never make the core because that's the way it is: A ONE-TIME switch that the first time someone makes a published post they get a prompt code that doesn't exist wrote:

Pinging is currently off. Do you want pinging turned on? If you don't understand this say "no". You can always turn pinging on or off later in your Blog settings later.

As a one-time that'd mean talking to the database every time posting with no pingers enabled to see if it ever asked that question before, but tough: pinging means work too.

Now that I sorta know this software I know that one of the first things I have to do is turn off the pingers. And break the footer spam. And stop it from reporting my server info to headquarters. And a handful of other things on my short list of things to do with a new install. hmmm... I need to upgrade the installer to not install widgets into a new blog. That way it won't assume I have containers I might not or assume I want the calendar in the top of the sidebar, but that is going way OT eh?

5 Sep 01, 2009 09:14

Fair point :D Asking the pinging questions would probably work quite well for the new blogger.

As for the off topic bit I have the same problem. Maybe a question there too - New Blog -> Choose Skin -> Do you want default widgets (Yes/No) etc

6 Sep 01, 2009 09:54

I'll go back on topic long enough to justify going back off topic ;)

Wouldn't it be cool if one of those ping collector sites focused on "you never pinged before" pings and took a screen shot for the 'historical value' of it? With such a groovy feature enabled there would never be an embarrassing "first ping" powered by b2evo :)

Okay where was I? Oh yeah: "default widgets, copy blog X, no widgets". Pretty slick eh? Also categories! I don't know if v3.whatever has hooks for during blog creation, but 2.4.7 doesn't. Too bad as that would be an awesome way to let it be fully user-configurable.

Form is loading...