Recent Topics

1 Sep 10, 2009 15:36    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Revisiting the question presented at http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=19199, what I would like to have is the option, not a requirement, for my visitors to register as users, but have the ability to only post comments, a la [url=http://manual.b2evolution.net/Require_membership_to_post_comments]this old hack[/url]. I would like them to be able to lock-in a nickname, upload an avatar, etc.

From what I've read in various threads, and played around with in group/user permissions, this isn't currently possible. If I'm wrong, please let me know how this can be done.

Thank you.

4 Sep 10, 2009 23:09

Ahh ... I have a much more open system on my blogs ... looks like a cool plugin though

¥

5 Sep 10, 2009 23:24

So do I, but I have had regular commentors ask for the ability to register so they can keep others from commenting with their name.

The MT function would appear to put the following in, I think, their version of _item_comment.inc.php

http://wtnh.tv/blogs/media/MT_comment.jpg

6 Sep 10, 2009 23:32

Perhaps this should be moved to the "Feature requests and Feedback" section.

7 Sep 11, 2009 03:10

I may be missing something, but what's wrong with allowing registration and not giving them permission to post anywhere? It wouldn't lock them into a login identity but if the issue is "I want to register so someone else doesn't comment with my name" it *might* work. The thing is I'm pretty sure commenting doesn't care if a visitor uses a name that happens to match someone else's login, but it identifies them as a visitor.

8 Sep 11, 2009 04:09

Prior to me moving to Disqus :p What I did was I created a "Comments" usergroup, then I removed all permissions related to posting to the blog (ie. blog posts/articles) but leaving the rest activated.

And since Im using other plugins at that time like CAPTCHA and TuringTest, I set these plugins up to a setting where they will remember previous commenters and not ask for the codes.

Or if a commenter has been a regular, I up their user level so the plugin won't ask them again (one of the two plugins use the userlevel system to determine which people to ask for a code and those to skip).

From what I understood from your question, you're looking for a different "authentication" tables for bloggers and commenters?

9 Sep 11, 2009 14:57

From what I understood from your question, you're looking for a different "authentication" tables for bloggers and commenters?

Correct. I don't want them to know what the backend looks like, don't want them to see any toolbar on top, etc.

10 Sep 11, 2009 18:43

BaileyWTNH wrote:

Correct. I don't want them to know what the backend looks like, don't want them to see any toolbar on top, etc.

If someone registers and you give the group no permissions to do anything then they won't see the back end. They will get the evobar thing, but you can either remove it entirely or make it so that it doesn't show up for group4 people. Or don't worry about it because with no access to the back end the only thing on the evobar is a couple of links to b2evo stuff and links to their profile and subscriptions. The publicly accessible "edit your profile" page - not the real one in the back office.

I'm not seeing why this is any more complicated than "they register into a group with no permissions".

11 Sep 12, 2009 16:45

Perhaps I am making it more complicated than necessary, since I never considered turning on the 'New users can register' option until recently.

I did create a group I called 'Commentors' on a test install. I gave permission to 'View all blogs', but otherwise NO system admin permissions. The things I noticed right off:

1) Customized register.php page. I'd like it to look like the rest of the site, or be a pop-up or something along those lines. It's probably in the forums somewhere, but 'register' and 'registration' are popular words so I have a lot of looking to do.

2) Yes, the bar only shows limited options, including Edit User Profile. However, one of the options on the User Profile Page is a link to Change the Avatar. That links to the admin backend, which in this group gives an 'Access denied' page. A bit annoying. Customizing that page would be preferable, too.

3) When a 'Commentor' makes a reply to a post, I would prefer their status to reflect something other than 'Member' or 'Guest'. Instead of From: tester [Member] I would rather see something like "From: tester [Registered]

As I said, perhaps what I need is already here. I like talking things out to make sure I'm on the right track or heading into a wall.

12 Sep 12, 2009 17:11

BaileyWTNH wrote:

I did create a group I called 'Commentors' on a test install. I gave permission to 'View all blogs', but otherwise NO system admin permissions. The things I noticed right off:

I'm pretty sure they don't even need that permission. Cuz like they can view them anyway. I'm pretty sure that refers to back office stuff, which you denied them.

BaileyWTNH wrote:

1) Customized register.php page. I'd like it to look like the rest of the site, or be a pop-up or something along those lines. It's probably in the forums somewhere, but 'register' and 'registration' are popular words so I have a lot of looking to do.

It's been done but I think you'll have a hard time finding info on it. Look in skins_adm/login for the "skin" that makes the registration page. Also searching the forums as if you wanted a custom logo on the registration or login form will maybe help narrow down to some useful bits.

BaileyWTNH wrote:

2) Yes, the bar only shows limited options, including Edit User Profile. However, one of the options on the User Profile Page is a link to Change the Avatar. That links to the admin backend, which in this group gives an 'Access denied' page. A bit annoying. Customizing that page would be preferable, too.

That sounds like a bug. Even more of a bug than the whole idea of avatars as a mandatory feature in a blog app ... especially when "post" is an optional type of post in an app that requires an avatar :roll: Anyway I can't help you with removing only that bit cuz I comment out the entire toolbar. Don't need it is the thing. A link to admin.php gets me the back office and the toolbar ...

BaileyWTNH wrote:

3) When a 'Commentor' makes a reply to a post, I would prefer their status to reflect something other than 'Member' or 'Guest'. Instead of From: tester [Member] I would rather see something like "From: tester [Registered]

You can probably change that using a param in your skin, but I'll be damned if I know how right off right now. Searching the forums for an answer to that issue for v2.* will probably yield useful results. Worst case, you open inc/coments/model/_comment.class.php and edit it directly around line 382 ;)

I should one day do maybe a cheat sheet for customizing the registration / login pages. Not a lot gets done in that direction is why. It'd be cool eh?

Anyway I'd comment out the evobar from the skins/_html_header.inc.php file and either pop in a widget that gives you an admin link, or bookmark your favorite admin page, or just sorta know if you type it you'll get it. BTW commenting it out of your skin won't wipe it out in your admin area.

13 Sep 12, 2009 21:01

Worst case, you open inc/coments/model/_comment.class.php and edit it directly around line 382

Yeah, I've played with that before in a previous install.

In my scenario, because I want a third classification along the lines of [Member] or [Registered] or [Visitor], I would need some kind of elseif between 389 and 390 that triggers off something other than

if( strlen( $this->author_User->url ) <= 10 )

Perhaps the user_grp_ID would be a good candidate since I would be creating a new user group.

Thank you for the input!!

14 Sep 13, 2009 14:35

EdB wrote:

BaileyWTNH wrote:

That sounds like a bug. Even more of a bug than the whole idea of avatars as a mandatory feature in a blog app ... especially when "post" is an optional type of post in an app that requires an avatar :roll:

Yes, this is a bug (fixed now). Oh, and I agree with you on the avatar stuff.

15 Sep 13, 2009 14:59

Tblue wrote:

... Yes, this is a bug (fixed now). Oh, and I agree with you on the avatar stuff.

Yay! I took a quick look at it but things ain't the way they were, meaning it ain't just editing the evobar file anymore.

16 Sep 13, 2009 15:53

Yes, this is a bug (fixed now). Oh, and I agree with you on the avatar stuff.

Is this a bug I can fix by editing a few lines of code until the next release?

17 Sep 13, 2009 16:06

BaileyWTNH wrote:

If you can be arsed registering, you may find this post enlightening @link [url=http://innervisions.org.uk/index.php/masochists/2008/12/integrated-registration-and-login]integrated registration and login[/url] ;)

¥

Form is loading...