Recent Topics

1 Nov 19, 2009 15:07    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.7

I am looking for anyone who has recently upgraded from 2.4.7 (or 2.4.x) to a 3.3.x version to tell me what you thought. I know the upgrade is recommended, but from what I've been reading in the forums, I am not sure I want to (or am ready).

The biggest thing I've come across (for me) is the inability to upload pics like we used to be able to do, with the resulting "add code to post" available. I am still reading the forums, so maybe this has been solved?

Also, it mentions any hacks will be lost. I have a few hacks (or what I think are hacks) like star ratings system (which I could actually lose, because no one really uses it, but I do like the option) and numbers of posts (i.e. recipes (32)). I think these are hacks because I remember messing with the files (I could probably search and find the threads if I really wanted to). But maybe these "hacks" are now included in 3.3.x? Well, not the post counts--I believe I read that those had been discontinued. But was it a plug-in that was discontinued, or the actual inclusion in the b2evo version that was discontinued? I imagine a hack can't be discontinued...but I really don't want to have to hack everything again to get post counts back.

And if these few issues only scratch the surface, then I am afraid to upgrade.

Am I way off on all this stuff? Or is it all really no big deal? Any info, thoughts, or advice would be appreciated.

2 Nov 19, 2009 16:46

I haven't upgraded and I won't. 247 with all my improvements is good enough for me. Having said that, I'm now starting to fix quite a few things in 332. The lack of "add code to post" will be fixed, in addition to "float left" and "float right" along with add code.

Mandatory avatars (a 'feature' now) will be removed before I use 3.anything on a real server. I *might* make it an option, but I doubt it as there are at least three avatar plugins that give the owner of the installation better implementation methods and control than the mandatory POS in the core.

In 331 anyone and everyone who can post at all can post a ... I forget the name but a post that stays on top for certain types of page displays. Like a category post that you might use to describe the category. Neat idea, except anyone who can post is allowed to select that post type even if there is one already. The other one never shows up. It might have been fixed in 332 but since I haven't played with it yet I don't know.

The list of crap in 3.* is amazing. Footer spam is still there (of course), as is the spyware that is triggered every time you hit an admin page, and the splog links. Now you get context spam if you enable a 'feature' in the auto-link plugin. Another "feature" that no one asked for that was already possible with a plugin, only this feature has no easy way to see what it will link or control it via your back office.

I'm also thinking I should make something that will fix a 331 or 332 installation by upgrading it to my 2471.

Just my opinion though. I'm sure others just love it.

3 Nov 19, 2009 17:28

OH gosh you are so right EdB. It has so many little quirks in it. It even runs slower because the database schema is a little different. It loads the user table at some time while loading the main page, what a bad idea. It shouldn't even think about that until a plugin calls it. Also the hit logging is a nightmare.

5 Nov 19, 2009 19:56

Thank you SOOOOO much. I trust you, Ed and ¥åßßå, so won't be upgrading, either.

/breathes a sigh of relief

6 Nov 19, 2009 19:58

So then my question becomes...are you planning on sticking with b2evo...or maybe migrating elsewhere?

7 Nov 19, 2009 21:41

I haven't made my mind up yet .. but, if I stick with the evo route then I'd choose 2.4.x without a doubt

¥

8 Nov 19, 2009 21:45

Gotcha.

If WordPress offered a good importer for b2evo I might be more willing to go there. But they don't offer the multi-blog layout as far as I can tell, and I do really like that.

9 Nov 19, 2009 21:57

wordpress? *shudders*

¥

10 Nov 19, 2009 22:16

I wanted to try and move away from all the self-configuration, actually. From one extreme to the other. :)

12 Nov 20, 2009 04:49

I'm actually thinking of downgrading that's how slow and unusable the code is becoming. I really don't like the speed, did anyone mod it to slow down or something?

13 Nov 20, 2009 05:44

I can't say that this version is any slower or faster than previous versions. Seems totally related to my shared hosting server.

I have deleted the Admin Toolbar and it's related scripts and css. Moved all javascripts (b2 and most plugins) to the bottom and combined all CSS ( skin and plugins ) into one CSS file.

I see no reason to move up from 2.4.7 if you don't want the extra bells n whistles. It was a great version. However, until EdB writes a database downgrade script ( a great idea) if you have version 3.3+ then your stuck with it unless you saved/backedup your previous 2.4.7 database.

14 Nov 20, 2009 06:02

I did save my 2.4.7 but its ok, I'll stick with it, and tweak it to my liking. It's a little slower because the sql statements load tables and query tables sometimes when they are not needed. It's all good though, I figured out a way to get it to load faster on the server side so that's cool. However, I will have to take a long time and start from scratch again and keep doing my hacks/upgrades.

15 Nov 20, 2009 06:19

I'm not looking into anything else at the moment although I recently became obligated to learn joomla. I'm just not going to upgrade to 3.anything until I (a) add most of the improvements that have been documented in these forums and (b) fix all the new host of problems. The drawback to this is that "my" version gets farther and farther from the core with each release.

My hope is that one day Francois realizes he screwed up. Then a release that completely gets rid of footer spam (credits array) and the splogs (display_param_link) and makes the spyware (which really isn't all that horrible) into an opt-in situation with a very sincere "please may I have some data" attached to it.

And makes the core be JUST THE CORE! BTW I've got the mandatory avatars as an option that defaults to off now ... except for the installer assigning the admin one but that will be remedied very soon. Footer spam and splogs and spyware are gone, and some of the simpler stuff is done. Eventually I'll start looking at the widgets to test if any of the improvements shared here made it to the core. Once I know if they haven't I'll go ahead and do all that stuff.

Then I'll work on bringing back "add code to post", and my one database change - extra fields in your profile for various social media bits. Oh and then I'll get rid of the barely functional extra fields someone can add to a post. Fields without labels that don't work for the examples given.

I really should make a downgrader. That might even be worth a few bucks to someone as unhappy with v3 as I am.

But anyway I'm not looking for a replacement app just yet. Basically, and I'm not expert, but basically good luck finding something that doesn't do security upgrades frequently :(

16 Nov 20, 2009 07:04

EdB wrote:

I'm not looking into anything else at the moment although I recently became obligated to learn joomla. I'm just not going to upgrade to 3.anything until I (a) add most of the improvements that have been documented in these forums and (b) fix all the new host of problems. The drawback to this is that "my" version gets farther and farther from the core with each release.

My hope is that one day Francois realizes he screwed up. Then a release that completely gets rid of footer spam (credits array) and the splogs (display_param_link) and makes the spyware (which really isn't all that horrible) into an opt-in situation with a very sincere "please may I have some data" attached to it.

And makes the core be JUST THE CORE! BTW I've got the mandatory avatars as an option that defaults to off now ... except for the installer assigning the admin one but that will be remedied very soon. Footer spam and splogs and spyware are gone, and some of the simpler stuff is done. Eventually I'll start looking at the widgets to test if any of the improvements shared here made it to the core. Once I know if they haven't I'll go ahead and do all that stuff.

Then I'll work on bringing back "add code to post", and my one database change - extra fields in your profile for various social media bits. Oh and then I'll get rid of the barely functional extra fields someone can add to a post. Fields without labels that don't work for the examples given.

I really should make a downgrader. That might even be worth a few bucks to someone as unhappy with v3 as I am.

But anyway I'm not looking for a replacement app just yet. Basically, and I'm not expert, but basically good luck finding something that doesn't do security upgrades frequently :(

Yes, B2evo is pretty solid. I salute you for going ahead with your improvements and seeing if you can trim this new version down. There are some good features and functions. (NOT THE FILE MANAGER) that's why I'm sticking with it for now. I will see how far I get with this. I haven't really had any spam and I've been running b2 for years and have a good number of visitors every day. Awaiting "your" release.

17 Nov 20, 2009 17:02

mochababy wrote:

I'm actually thinking of downgrading that's how slow and unusable the code is becoming. I really don't like the speed, did anyone mod it to slow down or something?

what happend to make it slow : all tables have been turned into InnoDB
Before they were MyISAM

Try to revert all your tables back to MyISAM ans 99% of your 'slow' problem will be solved.

18 Nov 20, 2009 19:54

Topanga wrote:

... all tables have been turned into InnoDB ...

I'm gonna have to remember that one if I actually try to make a downgrader.

That change, all by itself, makes v3 a completely different program.

19 Nov 20, 2009 21:48

I don't want to be a black sheep but I'm really happy with b2evo 4 powering my 60 000 hits/day website. There are lots of features that make b2evo a low-scale CMS rather than Blog engine, those who prefer a traditional blogs don't like b2evo 3 , but I always wanted to see b2evo as a CMS.

I'll sure continue supporting the system, my plugins and skins.

20 Nov 20, 2009 21:53

You're not a black sheep. Yer an individual that looks a smidge like a grown up lamb with dark hair ;)

There's lots of new bits that I like with 3.x as well .... just not enough to cover the bits I don't like. ;)

IMHO a lightweight cms should just run on plugins.

¥

21 Nov 20, 2009 21:54

Back to the original post:

The biggest thing I've come across (for me) is the inability to upload pics like we used to be able to do, with the resulting "add code to post" available. I am still reading the forums, so maybe this has been solved?

Quick upload plugin "solves" this problem ;)

The post count hack will be lost. Just upgrade the blog and modify the same bit of code you edited in b2evo 2.x

The star rating is a plugin, it will work in b2evo 3 and up too. I'm actually working on Easy rating plugin where you can rate posts, images and comments.

22 Nov 20, 2009 22:14

Quick Upload is nice, but doesn't solve the problem at all. Currently in v2.4.7.1 I can select the write tab, then hit the files button, select one or many images, and select "add code/img to post" or "float right" or "float left". When writing in v3.3.2+ all I get is the opportunity to attach (which is sometimes called link) images to the post.

Attaching is fine IF you want an image resized and centered and have a caption option. But if you don't, meaning if you want to write a post with an image inline then it has no value. Attaching is basically only good for photoblogging.

I'm with ¥åßßå: the bad outweighs the good.

BTW one of the awesome bits about b2evolution going back to v0.* is that it obviously lends itself well to a CMS instead of just a blog. Yes: even way back then. The problem is the new crap has nothing to do with a CMS or blog app (such as footer spam, splogs, spyware), or is entirely blog-related (mandatory avatars). Add in that the only post type you can delete is the actual blog post type and no one can actually guess what this app wants to be.

Currently adding hooks that were requested a long long time ago but never got added. Hooks that are both useful and used. But weren't thought up by a dev team member. Oh and fixing some problems with the hooks that exist, like putting them where they need to be. Another reported problem and solution that didn't show up in any subsequent release. :roll:

23 Nov 20, 2009 22:23

Quick Upload is nice, but doesn't solve the problem at all. Currently in v2.4.7.1 I can select the write tab, then hit the files button, select one or many images, and select "add code/img to post" or "float right" or "float left". When writing in v3.3.2+ all I get is the opportunity to attach (which is sometimes called link) images to the post.

You should try the plugin first ;) It gives you options to either link the uploaded image or insert the code in post.

mandatory avatars

Why are they mandatory? You don't have to add an avatar, it's not required.

24 Nov 21, 2009 01:29

I think you miss the point that the Filemanager gives you the option to navigate to a folder and then place the file there, AND add the code to your post, float left or whatever. That feature is lost and I really think the next release should have that because that was the best thing about the file manager.

It could very well be a great CMS but I recall the backoffice referring to the "blogs" and "posts" so maybe it should stay with the roots and expand from there. Don't kill the blog to make a CMS, make the blog base an exceptional CMS.

@EdB, yes, changing that schema made it an entirely different system. Only some tables are slow (well querying) and some are faster. SO I'll take the slow ones and make them ISAM again but another day.

@sam2kb, Forget about the hits, I have 8,000 visitors per day and who knows how many hits. When I looked int he back office, I saw the hits above 100,000 and I still didn't even send out an email saying the blog was back online.

Does anyone know how I could port back the old file manager? I would love it again!

25 Nov 21, 2009 01:50

mochababy wrote:

@sam2kb, Forget about the hits, I have 8,000 visitors per day and who knows how many hits. When I looked int he back office, I saw the hits above **** and I still didn't even send out an email saying the blog was back online.

What I meant is that I don't feel any difference in speed between b2evo 2 and 4, actually b2evo 2 is way slower if you count page caching which saves you about 40 DB queries ;)

EDIT: moved the topic to appropriate forum...

26 Nov 21, 2009 04:59

Another point is that with the old way you could add an image code long after you uploaded it. One installation I handle kinda re-uses images a handful of times across different posts. Thus, the moment of upload doesn't matter. When I write a post I want the option to add an image. It was there, it is gone. That is the problem statement. The solution is to not remove extremely useful features just because.

Mandatory Avatars. Tell me: how does the owner of the installation remove the possibility of any registered user having an avatar? In MY version you can do it, but in a stock 332 how would the system owner disable that 'feature'?

@mochababy: what do you mean by "the old file manager"? Near as I can tell it is basically the same thing other than the addition of what appears to be a useless "shared" folder. A feature is missing - add code to posts - but the dropdown for how to handle attaching/linking images is kinda neat. We still don't have any identification of exactly where an image is linked when you want to delete one, which means another identified problem has been ignored, but that's not too surprising any more.

27 Nov 21, 2009 19:11

EdB wrote:

Another point is that with the old way you could add an image code long after you uploaded it. One installation I handle kinda re-uses images a handful of times across different posts. Thus, the moment of upload doesn't matter. When I write a post I want the option to add an image. It was there, it is gone. That is the problem statement. The solution is to not remove extremely useful features just because.

Mandatory Avatars. Tell me: how does the owner of the installation remove the possibility of any registered user having an avatar? In MY version you can do it, but in a stock 332 how would the system owner disable that 'feature'?

@mochababy: what do you mean by "the old file manager"? Near as I can tell it is basically the same thing other than the addition of what appears to be a useless "shared" folder. A feature is missing - add code to posts - but the dropdown for how to handle attaching/linking images is kinda neat. We still don't have any identification of exactly where an image is linked when you want to delete one, which means another identified problem has been ignored, but that's not too surprising any more.

by old file manager, I mean the way it functions, and by the way the shared folder isn't really a good thing, because it doesn't get created with the upgrade and you have to either create or disable that feature of the file manager upload tab is unusable. Wait that's a bug, should report it.

@Edb, you are mostly in line with what i'm thinking. I have images that I use over and over too, such images that say things only an image can do perfectly. YOU CAN STILL ADD THE CODE TO THE POST, the same way it was done before. The float left or right, not so sure. The issue for me is the upon upload I don't have that option, and that is the problem. I upload it, and then I have to select it and link it? Makes no sense if you think about it. After upload you should have the option to do whatever you like to the image just uploaded. Going to post this in the feature request section. I need to find the code and mod my installation to have that option again.

Do you mean you want this files option back in the same place by the way?

28 Nov 21, 2009 21:40

I want "add code to post" and my improvements of "float left / float right". Those bits make it so that text wraps around an image.

I can't see any way in v332 to add code to post, so that's what I'm after. Either by hitting "Files" or by going to 'write' then 'files'. The only mechanism I can find is the "attach/link" bit.

I want no mandatory avatars - done.
I want no footer spam, splogs, or spyware - done (except I haven't gotten rid of the "Software credits" section of Blog settings).
I want hooks to allow me to move toolbars - done.
I want hooks to allow multiple locations for plugin form fields - done.
I want to not be limited to the few sizes b2evo has for image resizing - done.

I want to aggregate "All" blogs - not tested, not done.
I don't want to be limited in what I can do with widgets - not tested, not done.
I want comment moderation on subscriptions - not tested, not done.
I want 5 new social media profile fields - not tested, not done.

And a handful of other things from days gone by that simply never got fixed.

NOW I want to be able to disable any and all post types.
I want to have control over who gets to write the fancy post types IF those post types are even allowed. I want to define what the default plugins will be for each new blog via the back office. And I don't want "shared" directories! I mean come on! IF I want to share media among authors I'll let them have permissions in the blog's media folder. I don't NEED another sharable folder for that, now do I?

29 Nov 21, 2009 22:01

I want to not be limited to the few sizes b2evo has for image resizing - done.

Take a look at conf/_advanced.php

I want to aggregate "All" blogs - not tested, not done.

Use a star (*)

I want 5 new social media profile fields - not tested, not done.

There are TONS of new fields, and you can even add more ;)

I want to have control over who gets to write the fancy post types IF those post types are even allowed

I think Tblue already fixed this in CVS

The other requests seem reasonable to me. So why don't you want to add/fix them and commit to CVS?

30 Nov 21, 2009 22:14

Hey, I've just noticed that there IS an option to "Insert IMG/link into post" in FM.

The only problem is that you can't add images until you save the post, even if you're not going to "link" them. But this can and should be changed back.

31 Nov 21, 2009 22:20

conf/_advanced is where I'll fix it all this time. Note one: when shooting portrait the height is taller than the with. Note two: the only reason to limit an image dimension is to prevent a horizontal scroll bar. Given the current method, if you shoot 768w by 1024h and your skin says 720x500 you will get an image that is 375 pixels wide. This was pointed out a long long time ago and is still done wrong.

So fix #1 is to put the height at double the width. Fix #2 is to have increments of 80 pixels all the way up to 800 for width. Fortunately that is way easy now :)

Re aggregating all with a *: nice to know :) Would be really nice if the note ("List blog IDs separated by ,") told peeps that, and that it will also aggregate posts in blogs that are not included in the public bloglist, but I'd have probably stumbled across it while migrating the improvement over. So all I have to do is fix the note and fix the inclusion of that which is not deemed public. Yay for simple stuff!

Re new fields: the "experimental" section allows adding a grand total of 3. I've already added 5 (youtube, facebook, twitter, myspace, skype). Nice idea though - adding super-huge amounts. Most of what I would do with a "your account expired" plugin, given my hobby club needs, is already covered by some of those fields. It should be governed by a tab on the Global Settings tab though. Like, "which bits do you want in your users profiles". Looking forward to seeing what they do when they get used, if anything ;)

32 Nov 21, 2009 23:05

Re new fields: the "experimental" section allows adding a grand total of 3

You'll get another 3 fields when you filled the first 3. And in b2evo 4 you can add/edit those fields.

33 Nov 21, 2009 23:29

That's kinda neat :) Probably never would have randomly guessed at that, but eventually testing would have shown HEY LOOK AT THAT!

For my hobby club needs though it won't work. Each user would be expected to fill in the right bits, and to somehow know "add these three then do it again". I suppose I could do a feature request for "make the installation owner have control over what goes in there" but past performance shows that doesn't work so well.

Plus for me I'd want some marked as mandatory fields. I think I can do that currently - just haven't tried. For example (again for a hobby club thing) address fields and emergency contact fields required before saving the profile is accepted or posting permission is turned on to whatever the group and/or user perms are set to. But (as you rightly pointed out) that is plugin material :)

v4 doesn't exist. So anything that might be in there one day doesn't exist. Again based on past performance, if it isn't a marked-stable release it doesn't count. I think it was 1.6 that totally sucked in terms of stuff showed up that vaporized on next release? Could be wrong, but one of them in that time frame. Plus past performance with CVS shows NOTHING is stable - as it ought to be.

34 Nov 21, 2009 23:37

Again, I run b2evo 4.0.0.0-alpha-dev on my website and it is stable (at least in the way I use it).

I don't use b2evo 3 because it's buggy, plus when I find a bug or an improvement I often commit it to CVS and add to my website :)

Regarding the user fields, there should be a javascript button "Add another field" like on the file upload tab.

35 Nov 22, 2009 00:35

In other words, b2evo is what *you* think it should be.

You're wrong. The installation owner should decide which fields exist. No one else. Not you, not fplanque, not me. The installation owner. The dev team gets to pick which fields MIGHT be used, and seeing what's in the experimental section is pretty freakin cool, but neither you nor fplanque nor me nor some random user should be able to decide which ones get used.

The installation owner is the one who chose b2evolution, and will un-choose it just as easily when they find that way too many decisions have been made for them.

36 Nov 22, 2009 00:47

In other words, b2evo is what *you* think it should be.

No, I just like it the way it is, except for bugs and spyware.

37 Nov 22, 2009 02:24

sam2kb wrote:

I want to have control over who gets to write the fancy post types IF those post types are even allowed

I think Tblue already fixed this in CVS

The other requests seem reasonable to me. So why don't you want to add/fix them and commit to CVS?

Just noticed this. The reason I quit the dev team email list and will never play in CVS is because I will NOT support an app that spams people. I play in the forums because I like it. I gave up completely on admining antispam because the core is the spammer now. I played in the wiki-manual once only to see my detailed explanation cut down to a useless piece of crap sound bite. I write plugins because I want to and sometimes need them, but I always push anti-footer-spam with plugins.

Nope. If I play deep anywhere it'll be in a fork.

38 Nov 22, 2009 02:27

By the by Tblue said he'd add a fix for the lack of control over ... damn what are they called? INTRO posts - a fix for intro-post control to CVS long before 332 came out. Ain't there is it?

Besides there is a better method that I will implement. IF an intro post exists another one can't be selected. By that method the existing post edit permissions offer the control mechanism desired without adding new layers to the already very busy "advanced view" of group or user perms.

39 Dec 07, 2009 02:57

Guys, just wanted to say quite a few of the issues in this discussion are in the works.

Everything sam2kb explained, of course, which is already in CVS, as well as some more on the todo list.

There will also be a version 3.3.3 (due very shortly) that addresses the issue with not being able to insert an img tag right after upload any more.

I don't like to give details before release but I can't resist to say that, once caching will be fully enabled, b2evo 4 will be much faster than b2evo 3 and b2evo 2. However, if you find b2evo 3 to be significantly slower compared to version 2, then your webhost really has a problem. (Try running a repair/optimize on all your sql tables though.) (Also note that we use InnoDB so your data doesn't get screwed up. Like anti virus software, it has a performance impact but it is to keep you safe).

Apart from that, please remember that the software is free and developed by volunteers who already spend way more time on this than their families would like them to. Expecting us to react instantaneously to every one of your requests is not very reasonable. So is considering every particular thing you want should be priority #1 for everyone else.

That being said, I understand it is frustrating when some particular problem hasn't been fixed for years. (That also happens to our own problems which we deem we can live with while we address other issues). Anyways, in that case, I suggest reposting or linking back to the original problem from time to time.

Developers can work for you for free... yes... sure... probably not unconditionally though. Calling names on them or on their work? Of course you can, but I don't think it's an effective strategy to get what you want from them.

40 Dec 25, 2009 23:35

Will plugins and skins work on version 4?

41 Dec 26, 2009 07:30

By the way, I really hope B2 survives It's been a concern that if a few people leave, the development may halt, which would leave me in a bad position (just thinking about the address rewrites and conversion process gives me the chills).

I've recommended B@ to several people and the blogs I've started at school have been B2.

43 Dec 26, 2009 11:36

For the life of me I can't see b2evo die any time soon. I personally depend on it for 150 different websites and some of the other contributors are pretty deeply involved too.

Plus, as sam2kb already said, development has rarely been as active as right now! If there has ever been a time to doubt, it certainly wouldn't be this year :)

Regarding plugins and skin in v4, I don't get the question, why the heck would they "not" work???

44 Dec 27, 2009 03:42

Great! I have to say that it's served all of my needs.

45 Feb 21, 2010 06:40

I have upgraded to 3.3 a month ago and with a little bit of work done, I'm very happy with it, the only thing that does concern me, is that the database is going off every once in a while... I don't know why yet..

46 Feb 21, 2010 17:49

I upgraded from 2.4.7 to 3.3.3 a month ago and It was very easy. In fact easiest as going from 2.4.6 to 2.4.7 !!!

47 Feb 22, 2010 00:14

slamp wrote:

I upgraded from 2.4.7 to 3.3.3 a month ago and It was very easy. In fact easiest as going from 2.4.6 to 2.4.7 !!!

yeah.. recently i have upgraded to 3.3 from 2.4.7 it was slick as a whistle for me too

48 Mar 05, 2010 17:18

After 2.4.x please please please tell me that avatars are not mandatory. Please.

49 Mar 05, 2010 18:44

You can disable avatars in b2evo 4, not sure about v3.3.3 though

50 Mar 05, 2010 21:29

Thanks, now I know why there's that whole upgrade from 3 to 2.4.x thing going on. Does 4 then take care of other issues people had with 3?

51 Mar 05, 2010 21:43

v4 fixes some new features introduced in v3.

52 Mar 05, 2010 21:48

Thank you. I'll stay with 2.4x then.

53 Mar 14, 2010 18:27

There has never been anything like "mandatory" avatars, not even in version 3.
The admin accounts comes with a default avatar that shows up in the backoffice user list but you can delete it.

What v4 adds is "forbidden" avatars! It means you can prevent b2evo from displaying or offering to use avatars.

54 Jul 24, 2010 16:05

BUMP

Any new thoughts? I'm not having problems so hate fixing something if it's not broken... but I would like some of the new features.

Any thoughts on upgrading to 4??

55 Jul 24, 2010 17:04

Which new features appeal to you ?

¥

56 Jul 24, 2010 17:32

Well, I liked the the Twitter integration, new skins, creating categories more easily, multi-blog cross posting... none are deal breakers, of course...

57 Jul 25, 2010 18:34

IIRC Lee released a 2.x version of the twitter plugin, and you've been able to cross post since .... urm, at least 0.9.x ... so that just leaves easier creation of categories and more templates on your list ;)

Personally I *still* think the cons outweigh the pros so I won't be continuing with b2evo when I next "upgrade" ;)

¥

58 Jul 25, 2010 19:20

¥åßßå wrote:

IIRC Lee released a 2.x version of the twitter plugin, and you've been able to cross post since .... urm, at least 0.9.x ... so that just leaves easier creation of categories and more templates on your list ;)

Personally I *still* think the cons outweigh the pros so I won't be continuing with b2evo when I next "upgrade" ;)

¥

Well then I need to do some research, I guess, to find the twitter plugin and the cross-category thing. Thanks!

60 Jul 25, 2010 22:15

Ah yes, I remember reading that plugin. That's not what I wanted. I want my Twitter feed to automatically update on my blog. ;)

64 Apr 11, 2012 20:30

Anyone still on 2.4.7 that's migrated to 3.3 or above that wants to share their experience? I haven't done it yet because I'm paranoid about screwing up my FIVE blogs...

65 Apr 12, 2012 00:48

You should abandon v2 asap. There was a number of security issues fixed since 2008!

Make a backup, and upgrade the backup copy, make sure everything is working, and only then replace your v2 with upgraded one.

66 Apr 12, 2012 01:16

sam2kb wrote:

You should abandon v2 asap. There was a number of security issues fixed since 2008!

Make a backup, and upgrade the backup copy, make sure everything is working, and only then replace your v2 with upgraded one.

Easier said than done. I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I can only have one database with my host so I can't have two separate installs. And I'm just paranoid about screwing everything up--especially since I have completely modified themes.

I know the day is coming, but I'm pregnant and can't drink so I'm really dreading it... :p

67 Sep 01, 2012 15:23

Well, I finally paid someone to update for me... everything seems okay, but I don't know where to start to make sure plugs in are updated, etc., and what things I have installed that might be broken.

Any ideas? I may start a new thread.

68 Sep 01, 2012 17:41

You should ask the person who made the upgrade if he transferred your customizations to the new version and if he upgraded the plugins.

69 Sep 03, 2012 14:49

I'll ask but I have no idea what that entails. She's not really familiar with b2evo but rather just the database language end of it.

I am having issues with plugins, so I know she is looking at that...

Any idea what this means (which I get when trying to access the plugins):

Warning: Missing argument 2 for load_class(), called in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/plugins/am_bopit_plugin/_am_bopit.plugin.php on line 288 and defined in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/_core/_class5.funcs.php on line 84

Notice: Undefined variable: classname in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/inc/_core/_class5.funcs.php on line 87

Fatal error: Class 'Plugins_admin_no_DB' not found in /home/jhudson2/domains/hudson2001.com/public_html/blogs/plugins/am_bopit_plugin/_am_bopit.plugin.php on line 289

ETA: Well, I just tried deleting the BOPIT plugin and it worked. I swear I tried the same exact thing yesterday and it wouldn't delete. GRRR. This is why I didn't want to upgrade...all these little issues.

70 Sep 03, 2012 14:55

Newest issue: using skin TealPro, no one can leave comments - the page is blank except for a reload icon and the URL seems to be missing something:

http://www.hudson2001.com/blogs/skins/tealpro/#

71 Sep 03, 2012 20:36

Either upgrade the skin or use the one compatible with v4.1

72 Sep 03, 2012 22:25

sam2kb wrote:

Either upgrade the skin or use the one compatible with v4.1

Ugh. Thanks, but that's not what I wanted to hear...as I just upgraded to that skin from a much older one. Is it easy to upgrade? Are there even any skins specifically for 4? Since you can't search by that you have to look at each one and I swear I've only seen skins for 3 (I'm on my phone now so it's harder to look stuff up).

74 Sep 03, 2012 22:45

I can't believe in the 4+ years since I last upgraded, there are so few new skins. Depressing. Makes me consider moving elsewhere. :(

Form is loading...